Tow Vehicles for Smaller Oliver

kaylesimon

I have made the decision to purchase the Legacy Elite (18'5") and am now putting together a list of possible Tow Vehicles. I have read the forum on towing here, but most of the comments were related to the 22' Oliver (understandable). Part of the reason I selected the smaller-sized Oliver is so that I can avoid select a vehicle that is not such a behemoth as the large trucks and huge SUVs that one might want for something larger.

Having said that I love that the quality and weight of the oliver is what it is, compared to many other trailers of it's size, and I want to make sure I can not only tow it, but tow it with complete confidence.

So where is the sweet spot? Are there Oliver Elite users on this forum and can they tell me what they've used? Thus far I have the following vehicles on my list, all with factory installed towing packages where offered: Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4 Runner, Toureg TDI. What would you add, what would you remove, and what would be at the front of your list?

I currently own a Honda CRV that is not in the running; if i have to trade it in, I want to do my due diligence and make a great choice. Thanks!

• Moderator+

We owned one of the original Elites (2008 model). We started out towing with a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) that we bought for that purpose. It only had a 3500 pound towing capacity and was vastly under powered. We traded that for a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4 with the 5.3L engine. We got much better results with that vehicle. The older Elites weighed about 3900 pounds ready to camp with full water and everything you would need for an extended trip. I don't know the camping weight on the new models but I would not expect them to be significantly different one way or the other. I would want a vehicle rated NO LESS than a 5000 pound towing capacity.

We bought a 2015 GMC Sierra with a 6.2L engine to pull our Elite II. We get about 2 mpg better than with the Tahoe.

Since all 2015 models are tow rated with the SAE J2807 Standard you are now comparing Apples to Apples...

4 Runner: The Towing capacity is rated at 4700 pounds (not a good contender)

Touareg: The Towing capacity is rated at 7,700 pounds with the available towing package - you will want to spring for this package, as the Touareg is rated for just 1,650 lbs. without it.

Nissan Pathfinder: The towing capacity is rated at 5000 pounds.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Just a little side note, if I may please read the true listing of the towing weight if it has say a 5000 pound tow weight most of the time it is giving you that when you use a weight distribution hitch and it is half the weight with out. I tow with a F150 and it is half of the gross tow weight without one. You usually have to look under the hitch or the small print on the print out of vehicle tow weight tables when given by the manufacturer. Please look when making your choice.

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• Moderators

Hello Kayle,

All of the vehicles on your list would do well with a Legacy Elite if you ordered them with a towing package. Personally, I find that with a pickup truck, I can place items in the bed that make camping easier, but don't take up space in my vehicle. This leaves more room for Oscar the Smiley Dog to ride in luxury with the back seat folded down and his bedding prepared. (He's only a little bit spoiled).

The truck bed holds my small generator, which is used rarely, but there are those times that it comes in handy. I carry a small gas can, extra electrical cords, several hoses, an outdoor surface mat for my "yard", BBQ grill, chairs, Yada yada yada . . . Personally, I like having that stuff somewhere other than inside my vehicle or the trailer.

If you've never had a truck, you may be surprised how car-like luxuries have been incorporated in today's choices. You'll receive numerous opinions as you look for what's best for you. Many people enjoy towing with SUVs that do very well.

So many choices, so much fun putting your rig together.. enjoy!

Pete

ps. Think of other items you might want along, such as a bike or a kayak, and make sure your TV can bring them along as well.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Take anything I add to the conversation with a grain of salt not having yet towed our Oliver Elite II which isn't quite finished yet. But personally I am of the persuasion you can never (or almost never) have enough tow vehicle for a litany of different reasons even with the smaller Oliver.

I agree with what everyone has contributed but would also like to add one comment regarding garyjona's post. Not only does the the towing capacity get cut in half without a WDH but also the the tongue weight of the hitch is cut in half. Several months ago I started a conversation about this very issue on this forum based upon someone giving me a lecture about how safe or not it is to push the envelop of weight without the WDH. No idea what year this became an automotive standard, but can tell you our 04 Tundra DC did not have this stamp on the hitch, but our 2013 Ford 150 EB does have this stamp. Still we are going without the WDH simply because we will be under the "half" limit and all feedback seems to state the Olivers track incredibly well without the WDH.

To that let me also reiterate what Pete has just stated above about new trucks. If you have never taken one for a spin you're in for a real shock due to the quality of ride and handling all of these newer trucks possess. Just yesterday for fun and giggles I had the opportunity to drive the 2015 F150 eco boost and was amazed at how it felt more like a European sport sedan than a truck. Throw in all of the features and capabilities of blind eyesight, cameras etc and you have a vehicle that is nothing short of amazing especially for towing duties. Longer wheel base for better stability, oh well I could go on and on but you get the idea. The long and short of it is getting used to the larger trucks is much easier than you imagine.

Hope this helps.

Legacy Elite II #70

Ps, Pete makes another excellent comment. The beauty of being able to haul lots of cargo (from a truck bed) while being kept out of the weather is priceless. We often take our road bikes as well as kayaks along for the trips, then there's ice coolers etc.

Legacy Elite II #70

Maybe we should have test driven a new pickup, before we crossed it off our TV list. We have a 97 F150 that Carol hates to ride in, so we went the SUV route. I did a lot of online research to get something that would work with our Legacy II. The mid sized SUV's were mostly limited to 5,000 lbs and the large SUV's like Expedition, Tahoe, and the like were so expensive. WE decided on a Dodge Durango with the V8 Hemi engine with a 7,800 lb towing limit. Really passed on the V6 even though it has a 6,200 lb towing limit, wanted that extra power for towing in the mountains. It would probably work ok on the smaller Oliver. Need to get some break in miles on it before we pull the trailer. Oh, and it's RED. Wouldn't that be cool, a couple of old geezers rollin' down the road with a really hot Durango and equally cool Oliver trailer. I am ready.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

I just love this !

"Oh, and it's RED. Wouldn't that be cool, a couple of old geezers rollin' down the road with a really hot Durango and equally cool Oliver trailer. I am ready."

You are right, we are not the "rocking chair on the front porch" retirees !

See you out there on the road !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

I don't think all the truck manufacturers have yet adopted the SAE tow rating standards (pretty sure several have not, actually), though Dodge Ram has, and Toyota Tundra adopted it years earlier. I'm not sure at all about the SUVs. I'd ask about the documentation with the dealer if I were looking for a new vehicle right now.

Most new trucks have a pretty nice, car-like setup, and a decent ride. But they're a lot bigger these days than they used to be. Today's equivalent of my 2005 Silverado seems enormous to me. Several of the manufacturers are coming out with smaller models of trucks again, and I'm glad to see it finally happen. We really enjoy the extra cargo capacity of a truck with a bed topper, and the four passenger capacity of our Ram 1500. My daily driver Silverado used to be our tow vehicle, and we loved it too, as a tow vehicle, but with only two seats, it was a bit limiting if we wanted to take a passenger or two along to dinner.

We're looking forward to a smaller, four passenger diesel pickup in the future. The Ram is 7 years old now, and going strong, so we can wait awhile for the US vehicles to try to catch up the the European and Australian versions of smaller, tough, economical we've seen for years.

If I were looking today, I'd probably look for a used pickup like my Silverado or Pete's Taco, or one of the newer smaller pickups, with a good bed cover like our UnderCover.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks so much everyone. Here are my takeways thus far:

Weight Distribution Hitch: Oliver now offers this as an add-on. There is a distinct dislike for them on the forum, but that appears to be related to the fact that they couldn't be added to the older Olivers without cutting into fiberglass. I'm not completely sure whether there are other "cons" to adding this to my Oliver, but if it doubles towing weight, and Oliver themselves are offering to add them, it seems like no brainer.

Towing Ratings: 5,000 is too low. I need to look for something over 6000, or do you think 7000 should be my minimum?

Tongue Weight: Having read comments on the forum it sounds like this needs to be around 550 min.

Diesel Trucks: The Cult of the Truck strikes again. *Sigh* I promise to go and check some out, because clearly I need to open my mind to that. I care a lot about economy and comfort and the electronics, and would like to avoid a massive vehicle for daily driving, so that leaves with a very short list: there is going to be a new Chevy Colorado. not positive there are any to see quite yet, may not be until later this year. The Ford 150 EcoBoost 2.7L can tow 7600 lbs. Routlaw, is yours the 2.7 or the 3.5? If I am willing to go full size, there is the RAM 1500 eco diesel and the Nissan Titan turbo diesel.

Diesel SUVs: I could look at the Mercedes GL (7500) and M class (7200) vehicles, as well as the Lexas LX (8500), the Invitiy QX56 (8500), the Audio Q7 (6600), and the BMW X5 (6000), the Porshe Cayenne V8 (7716). I have to look up tongue ratings on these if I want to consider them, because sometimes SUVs have lower percentages for that. But first I'll have to consult my wallet and visit some trucks, because these are all VERY expensive.

Wheelbase: Longer wheelbase equals better towing. I'm not sure how long is preferable.

You are all great teachers, trying to be good student, but right now I'm feeling disappointed at the cars that will work for me. I do understand that other small trailers are much lighter than an Oliver and that there are many good things that come with that weight, but I had REALLY hoped to be able to trade the CRV for something I could get excited about. Maybe someday I'll be the person on this forum telling someone else in my present predicament how I got dragged kicking and screaming to a truck and now I LOVE it. I hope so.

kayle

Oliver Elite buyer, late 2015

Kayle, We just bought a Dodge Durango for our Elite II, since with the V8 it's rated at 7800 Lbs. If you get the V6 you get 6200 lbs. We have not pulled the trailer yet,but will shortly. You might check out DodgeDurangoForums for a lot of info.

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Kayle

Speaking of the Colorado, I just saw one of these new ones at a local dealer the other day. Sort of futuristic looking with some fairly radical visual design.

To answer your question though my '13 F150 is the 3.5L EB. The 2.7 was not introduced until this years model. Regarding diesel here is my take on it and man I hope I don't offend anyone by this but effectively when you do the math diesel just doesn't work to your advantage. Understand I am not the only one who has come up with this either. Locally diesel fuel is more than 70¢ per gallon more (a 37% increase), and as I understand it Ram's 3.0L diesel will cost you an additional $4 grand out the door. You can buy a whole lot of regular fuel for $4 grand. And if you live in a cold climate like we do one really has to stay on top of the fuel you put in your tank otherwise it will gel on you in heartbeat then will need to be towed to a warm garage to liquify the fuel again. I know this from owning a diesel Rabbit many years ago. To my way of thinking where diesel is important is towing very large rigs, i.e. large 5th wheels or if you need heavy towing capacity for 50-100,000 miles per year. For us at this level it seems difficult to realize the advantage of diesel. IOW's I would encourage you to stick with normal fueled TV's for now.

The longer wheel base will provide a bit more stability and at least in theory all else being equal also provides a smoother ride. Just the laws of physics. I love your last sentence, because I am just that person. My first truck was a Mazda small cab, small box pick up, then came the Ford Range extended cab, then an 01 Taco DC, then an 04 Tundra DC and now my F150 EB with 6.5" long bed. And the F150 is by far the best of them all, the newer one better still. Understand too we have a 2011 Subaru OB Limited, really nice auto. Never gets used for anything but going to Costco and the supermarket. We thought it would be our lower budget travel car, but the reality is we will pick the big truck every time for a road trip even if not towing. Even my wife who loves the thing thinks we should sell it given its limited use. Recalling my reaction upon getting back into this OB after test driving the first F150, honestly it felt as though I was in a small jalopy by comparison.

Hope this helps.

Diesel Trucks: The Cult of the Truck strikes again. *Sigh* I promise to go and check some out, because clearly I need to open my mind to that. I care a lot about economy and comfort and the electronics, and would like to avoid a massive vehicle for daily driving, so that leaves with a very short list: there is going to be a new Chevy Colorado. not positive there are any to see quite yet, may not be until later this year. The Ford 150 EcoBoost 2.7L can tow 7600 lbs. Routlaw, is yours the 2.7 or the 3.5? If I am willing to go full size, there is the RAM 1500 eco diesel and the Nissan Titan turbo diesel.

Diesel SUVs: I could look at the Mercedes GL (7500) and M class (7200) vehicles, as well as the Lexas LX (8500), the Invitiy QX56 (8500), the Audio Q7 (6600), and the BMW X5 (6000), the Porshe Cayenne V8 (7716). I have to look up tongue ratings on these if I want to consider them, because sometimes SUVs have lower percentages for that. But first I'll have to consult my wallet and visit some trucks, because these are all VERY expensive.

Wheelbase: Longer wheelbase equals better towing. I'm not sure how long is preferable.

You are all great teachers, trying to be good student, but right now I'm feeling disappointed at the cars that will work for me. I do understand that other small trailers are much lighter than an Oliver and that there are many good things that come with that weight, but I had REALLY hoped to be able to trade the CRV for something I could get excited about. Maybe someday I'll be the person on this forum telling someone else in my present predicament how I got dragged kicking and screaming to a truck and now I LOVE it. I hope so.

kayle

Oliver Elite buyer, late 2015

Legacy Elite II #70

Thanks Guys. I did look at the durango, which was helpfully right next to the Ram 1500 in the showroom, and it looked more like something I'd be comfortable driving. But it also had all these seats I really do not need. So maybe truck makes more sense for me.

I think at this point it's time for me to A) go to a ford dealership and ask for a test drive of one of the 150s, and B) Measure my garage to see if it will fit in there. And then we'll go from there.

My son, a college junior, called me last night to say how much he likes the look of the Oliver. When I told him about the TV issues, he said, "I don't really see you as a truck person, mom...it doesn't seem environmentally responsible." And I said, "well, maybe we're going to find that I've actually BEEN a truck person all this time, and we just didn't know it. "

Living on the east coast will do that to a person.