Cold

trumpetguy

Last night and tonight we driveway camped at a relatives home near Atlanta. Sleet, snow, and temps in the 20s. We were so cozy in the ollie. I turned the furnace on rather than the ceramic heater because I was concerned about water in the tanks freezing. I wonder if the furnace keeps the basement warmer than the inside heater would? Any ideas on this. There would be some heat loss from the ductwork which would provide some warmth, whereas heat from the inside source would have to permeate the fiberglass walls.

It is preferable to use electric heat when possible (and free) in order to save the LP for when you really need it.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Hello glad your staying warm. I would sure think using on on board heater with the air lines between the shell would keep anything from freezing much better than using the electric heater. I remember of reading a post of someone that put hatch openings under the beds to open up so should he use the electric heat, it would better reach between the two shells and protect the water tanks. If you continue using the propane which size tanks did you get the 20 or 30 lb tanks and how long of time did you get from them on your travels. I have a interest in this as I will be going to Quartzite next year from Florida and will probably need them at times. Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Gary,

I have two 30 pound tanks. I do not use the "both" setting and the starboard tank is still showing in the green zone. We will use propane all week while at Skidaway Island GA so that will give me a good feel for how much we will need.

I will say that the furnace is excellent. Quiet and it keeps the trailer as warm as we want.

I will check the weight of my tank next week and make a post.

• Moderator+

Hello Gary and welcome to the forum...

It is our Outlaw Oliver that you've seen pictures of that had the hatches down under the beds. I had the Starboard hatch added to our trailer to allow me easier access to the valves below that bed. The Aft hatch allows inside access to the basement. The Port hatch makes it all look symmetrical. I later realized that by opening them it allows cabin heat to enter the enclosed spaces where most of the pipes and water pump reside. This was not an intended use for the hatches in the beginning, but it does keep that area warmer.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I want to thank Trunpetguy as we have spoken on the phone a few weeks ago and ScubaRX for the response to the questions. We went to Holenwald last summer to tour the plant before the wife and I took our trip to New Foundland and on the way back we went again in October and placed our order so as others have said looking forward to pick up day. I have been tossing between the two size propane tanks, one the weight on the tongue and second lifting those full 30 pounders into the shroud. With the Casita I can go a long time on just one tank but have not boon docked as much as we will with the Oliver and next year Quartzite will be the longest period with some cold weather traveling there and back. Hope to run into you a all one day on the roads of America. Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• Moderator+

Gary

If you're worried about the 30 pound tanks making the tongue too heavy your concerns may be unfounded. I have the 30's plus a Yamaha 3000 watt generator and basket sitting on my tongue and it still only weighs 535 pounds. That is surprisingly light considering the trailer "probably" weighs in at about 6000 pounds. I say because I've not gotten around to weighing it yet with it loaded up with our gear. I'm basing that guess on the amount of heavy custom work we had done. It could be more or less. But I have weighed the tongue at the factory so I know that's right. Your concerns about lifting them is altogether another matter. :lol:

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

May I say that one of the real pleasure in having the Oliver is how warm and cozy it is. We have taken ours on a couple of trips up the Northern California coast. Cold nights, cool days, ocean spray, wind, all of it. Very warm. The furnace does not take long to warm up the interior and it stays.

Gary. So glad you ordered the Ollie and that I had a part to play in the decision. We have the 30 pounders and I am glad of it this week. Three below freezing days in Atlanta, and now a dreary, drizzle with 42 degrees here in Skidaway Island State Park near Savannah, GA.

I am 68 and fairly fit. Go to the gym three days a week. Lift moderate weights. The tanks are no problem for me to hoist up, and you should not have to refill that often. The tongue weight for my trailer is 438 without the propane. So a full tank might weigh 65 poinds. Depending on your tow you should handle the extra weight easily.

I do have the Anderson WDH, which I use when traveling long distance at highway speed and it levels the truck right up. Less than a hundred miles I don't mess with the WDH. I don't really notice a difference when I use the hitch, or don't. The Ollie is well balanced and tows nicely.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I have been curious about propane consumption. We have had the Ollie since Dec. 2nd, 2014. Today I took the empty tank to Camping World and it took 6.7 gallons. The other tank has not been used at all. During this time we have camped 16 nights in cold weather. We use the furnace and keep the temp at 67. Some of this time we supplemented with a ceramic heater. Though not a scientific study I am content with our propane use, and very glad to have bought the 30 pound tanks.

With the Good Sam discount the bill was 19.00. Not bad.

I just booked two weeks at Mount Pisgah CG near Asheville, NC for August. This is dry camping so the tanks will come in handy to stay warm at the elevation.