Gravel roads & protecting the front of the Oliver

dstr8

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

No solution from me - but - I did purchase several cans of ArmorAll Custom Shield coating (clear) to try on my trip out West this summer.  The package says that it is easy to apply and remove and lasts for up to 3 months.  Basically it is simply a film that is sprayed on and then after the trip you peel it off.  We'll see and I'll report back here after (or during) the trip.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 4 years later...

We have semi-rigid mud flaps on our dually, right behind the rear tires,approximately 9” above the ground. Adequate protection for the Ollie?

PXL_20211106_210221546.jpg

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

34 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

We have semi-rigid mud flaps on our dually, right behind the rear tires,approximately 9” above the ground. Adequate protection for the Ollie?

Define “adequate” please, are you hoping to drive on gravel roads and freshly chip sealed highways? If yes, then no they are not adequate by themselves, but if they are combined with a second set at the rear bumper, such as Rock Tamers, then they will be pretty good. The second set needs to come way out, to take care of those outer tires. And they will be a trip hazard and knee knockers, unfortunately, especially in the dark. You might want to add some reflective tape to the support arms.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Steph and Dud B said:

If you stay on paved roads or go VERY slow on gravel roads then you will be OK.  Otherwise - do what JD says above - Rock Tamers or the like.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We've used rocktamers for over a decade. We still go slow, on gravel.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 2/26/2015 at 5:40 AM, SeaDawg said:

3M9000 Paint Defender

Looks interesting, but it is designed for only one year.  Then requires removal and recoat.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Looks interesting, but it is designed for only one year.  Then requires removal and recoat.

That is a post from 6, almost 7, years ago. 

No, we never tried it. (3m 9000 paint defender.) I actually thought it was discontinued. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Has anyone used the 3M Paint Defender spray? 

I'm not sure how this product compares to other spray on paint protection films that have been out on the market.  Several years ago I used one of these sprays for two years in a row.  To apply I had to mask off the areas where I didn't want the spray, apply several coats, quickly take off the masking (or else the edges would be ragged).  Cheaper than having the paint protection film applied - not counting my time involved with the spray product.  But, this spray stuff had to be removed at the end of the season - harder to do than I had thought it would be.  The main body of the sprayed areas was fairly easy but there were areas that took a bunch of time and polish to get off.

Bottom line is - I had the film applied and have not looked back.  It has lasted now for three years - yes, it does have a few nicks in it but nothing major and I'm fairly certain that given the roads I drive every summer there would be far greater damage to my Ollie.  However, if I were planning a trip to Alaska I'd use something much heavier - like yoga mats and the like.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators

I used to have a picture of an Ollie that had the front sprayed with Rhino in black.  I thought that it would be ugly but was surprised that it really didn't look too bad.  I've been told that this Ollie is/was owned by one of the Olivers but I've never confirmed that.  Perhaps Jason in Service might be able to tell you for sure?  Certainly a picture would help you decide if that is really the way you want to go.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I used to have a picture of an Ollie that had the front sprayed with Rhino in black.  I thought that it would be ugly but was surprised that it really didn't look too bad.  I've been told that this Ollie is/was owned by one of the Olivers but I've never confirmed that.  Perhaps Jason in Service might be able to tell you for sure?  Certainly a picture would help you decide if that is really the way you want to go.

Bill

An Oliver employee pulled that trailer to a rally a few years ago (before rally’s were moved to Alabama).  The front was black, looked like a spray on bed liner and didn’t look bad.  I’m sure it’s good protection.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Bugeye driver had the front of his trailer color code matched, and vortex coating. It looks great.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4