Camping

trumpetguy

Hey everyone. I know it is early and many are in the throes of a hard Winter, but I made a reservation at Mount Pisgah Campground near Asheville beginning August 12 for fourteen nights. Maybe a good meet up location?

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Gary. We will be in A23. I looked for a site that has some sunlight so the solar will be effective. The campground does have flush toilets and hot showers...just no water or electricity at the sites. Campground Photos Online has pics of each campsite.

This will be an educational experience to ease us into dry camping, which I am high on, but my wife is not so sure about. If we can get through two weeks of semi dry camping maybe the trip out west for some BLM camping will become a reality.

Our plans are to camp around the BR Parkway all of August. Mount Pisgah is the only reservation made at this time.

Sounds like you are doing some good planning ahead, when my wife and i went to Alaska in 2012 we went throughout the South West first through Arizona, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Arches etc up to Wind Caves Custer State Park Devils Tower around South Dakota, then Yellow Stone, Grand Tetons up to Glacier NP and then into Canada Ice Fields Jasper NP to Alaska then back the western route into Washington taking the 101 around Olympia NP into the Redwoods. We did a day or two there of Dry camping. This past year we went to the Maritimes New Foundland, Labrador etc again maybe a day of dry camping here and there. The plan is to do Quartzite and Death Valley back through Big Bend NP this coming Jan, Feb and March which will be as you are doing weeks at a time of Boondocking. Should be a lot nicer with the Oliver in tow for that trip. We have a place in Murphy NC as my wife had written in that last post she removed but if we can we will try and see if it fits the schedule. Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• Moderators

Normally, we'd be in NC that time of the year. But, we have a wedding in New England to go to in August. We'll see if we can catch you on our way to New England.

I loooooove the Parkway.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Gary. I am copying your routes because we want to do those same trips. Maybe not Alaska because we have primitive camped there. Beautiful, but a long drive.

It sounds like you have a place to stay in NC. We are going to look around a bit while there for a small acreage that is not overly restricted. A place to base camp in the Summer. Don't even need power, but a water supply would be good to have.

We have a cabin on top of a mountain west of Murphy NC. I was always able to pull the Casita up to the house for the summer when stopping there but we will see if I can do the same with the Oliver. I just gave you a partial view of the camping we did I must say doing it in the summer you will need to have reservations on holidays and if you want to camp in the National Parks such as Arches, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone etc I would set them up months before. Two places I would try to stay are Custer state park in South Dakota for Mount Rushmore, drive to Devils Tower, Wind Canes National Park just south of the park. Second if you go to Glacier go over the border and go west of Calgary to Banff, Jasper National Parks and the Canadian Ice fields the border crossing is just north of the east entrance to Glacier. Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• Moderators

Gary, did you go into Canada on 93 at Roosville, northwest of Glacier NP? I've heard there can be a 3 to 4 hour backup at times at that port of entry. Curious as to the best route after Glacier into BC or Alberta. I'd hate to lose half a day's drive sitting at the port of entry.

Rereading your post, it looks like you may have left Glacier on the east side. Correct?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

When we were at Glacier this past summer we took a day trip up to Waterton Lakes from Two Medicine Campground and there was no wait at that border. This was mid-August. That's the way we plan to head when we take our Alaska trip this coming summer.

Ed and Marsha

Legacy Elite II, Hull #85

Ford F150 Lariat

We stayed at St Mary's campground in Glacier NP when we went into Canada went out the east end of the park and straight north to the crossing no wait no problem unless they have changed I think they do not open till 7:30 or 8:30 in the morning and not sure when they close in the evening you can look that up. There is a route around Calgary to go to Banff NP, Calgary has a lot of traffic unless you want to see the city. If you are going to Alaska be sure you get the Mile Post would not go with out it and after to leave Jasper and the Ice Field there is a north route you can take up to Dawson Creek for the beginning of the Alaska Canadian Hwy. You have to do your picture at Mile Marker Zero there are two of them the one on the main road but drive a few blocks in the small town and see the original marker site.Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81