South West Ark fishing & boondocking 2015

mountainborn

• Moderators

Starting in April, the pan fish begin to spawn in the full of the moon. Those small bream are the preferred mast for the catfish that we camp out and fish for. We are getting ready. Here is a look at those preparations. Do ya' wana' fish n' boondock ?

>

http://www.mountainborn.blogspot.com/2015/03/oil.html

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Just finished oil changes on both of our generators. Getting ready to go boondocking and fishing. Went out to Housley Point big fir campground this evening. The lake is up a bit, but on it's way down. Took a photo of how high the water is and will post it on the Oliver and molded fiberglass FaceBook page.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

And we are missing this fun time, hopefully it will work out next year. Busy getting ready for our Son and his family coming for visit, then it's getting ready for the Grand Canyon and Arizona trip.

Have fun and catch a lot of fish.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Recovered all of the jugs that we cast last night. Though the front is still coming in slowly, there was a breeze out of the East at sun up, and the lake is still dropping. We were on the water at first light, thinking that it might start raining at any time. The wind had shifted during the night and all of our jugs were up in the inlets where we had cast and were easy to locate. Two jugs were badly tangled in submerged trees down on the bottom and we broke them off during recovery. We did catch a Oppelousas and a channel catfish. Will hold them in the live box until we get enough to clean. We felt a sprinkle or two but not enough to get wet. The start of a great day on the lake !

• Moderators

Slowly, yet steadily, it crept towards us as we sat around the campfire. At first we could barely discern it, way off across the lake like it was. There was no loud clap of thunder. No jagged jolt of lightning, to announce it's coming. Just a mere slight disturbance in the smooth surface of the lake.

The first drops of rain were so light and fine that they were hardly noticeable as they touched our skin. The increase in intensity was barely perceptible, yet, soon the campground was glistening from the mild Spring time rain. Soon the campfire and it's soft crackling is but a memory and we retreat inside the camper, check the windows and vents. About this time, I remember a good book that I have downloaded to the Android Tablet that has the Kindle software on it.

The jugs have been recovered, the fish are in the live well, camp is rounded up and ready for this wonderful Spring shower, hey, it's time to enjoy the weather with a good book !

• Moderators

During our extended boondocking stay at the primitive Housley Point's Big Fir campground we have our support trailer with us to provide water as needed. Here is a link to a You Tube video of the pump in action as Betty and I refilled our fresh water tank. The set up is very straight forward and simple to operate using a automobile jump start battery pack and a spare water pump. Here is the video link:

https://youtu.be/elG_JxZA-LY

• Moderators

We had the high privilege of joining Larry and Betty for the 2010 Catfish Extravaganza, where we were introduced to the art of jug fishin' and the joy of fresh fillet fish fry eatin' that's hard to describe. Ya just gotta go and experience it for yourself!!

Oscar wrote about it in his blog entry:

http://peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com ... ganza.html

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this reply is way late, but you were in my neck of the woods. We live at Crystal Springs, a short boat ride from Big Fir, or a much longer drive :-). If you ever come back to SW Arkansas and Lake Ouachita, please let me know. We'd love to sit around the fire and talk camping and lakes. And we're very interested in seeing you Oliver.

Stuart

zz

• Moderators

Hi Stuart ! We have a docking port in Norman not to far from you. We launch our boat at Crystal quite a bit. We have a Oliver here from time to time as we go and come from road tours. Give me a call and we will make it a point to show one to you ! 479.243.5450