Double Pane Window Fogging

Has anyone had any fogging of the double paned windows. If so, have you had them repaired? We have three window that have fogged and two are pretty bad now and I am considering having them repaired. Found a place in Lakeland, FL that dismantles the windows and reseals everything. Cost is $350 per window if I remove them. Extra $100 for them to remove them.

• Moderators

You might try giving Robert a call at the factory. Someone else had a similar thing going on and he found some new old stock windows in storage way back in the plant. Seems like the price was right too.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 5 years later...

Fast forward to 2020... Since I am unable to find other posts about this issue, I'm curious if anyone else has had windows fail. We just had our street side/aft window replaced during our Ollie's annual checkup. Unfortunately, we are out of warranty so that added $400 to the bill. Now, on the road, we've noticed the other street side window has failed. What are we doing wrong? Any suggestions?

(While in storage, streetside faces east & Refectix in all windows.)

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 2
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators

I'm surprised the seals are failing that quickly. I'm just now getting some "fog spots" on a couple windows in our 2008.

There's a company in Hudson that will remove the window, replace the seals and gas, and reinstall for $250 a window. Another in Arkansas, but you're closer to Hudson. 

We haven't tried them yet, so I can't recommend.  But I  called them for pricing. My issue is they bed the window with silicon, and I'd rather use butyl. Haven't decided which way to go yet. And the fog spots are small,  but two windows. https://suncoastdesigners.com/rv-services/defog/

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Overland said:

Our bath window failed about 2 years in. Not just fogging, but about a half inch of water trapped between the panes. No warranty either. It wasn’t terribly expensive but it did rub me the wrong way. 

The original ollies had a single pane bath window. We replaced it with the new thermal pane about five years ago. I  actually liked the old window better. Easier to operate, and opened a little further.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Overland said:

Our bath window failed about 2 years in. Not just fogging, but about a half inch of water trapped between the panes. No warranty either. It wasn’t terribly expensive but it did rub me the wrong way. 

Look at it this way - you had a built in level! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 10/29/2020 at 8:50 AM, topgun2 said:

Look at it this way - you had a built in level!

If at 2:00 AM that water was to freeze, you would go from level to full standing saying, " what the heck was that?" Or something close...

Edited by Mainiac
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Overland said:

Well that would solve SeaDawg’s problem of the window not opening enough. 

Getting it closed would be even more difficult! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We had the lower pane of our bathroom window fill with moisture.  It was covered under warranty.

I replaced it myself, using only butyl tape.  A great seal and a very clean installation.  I have found no need for caulk.

As far as a cause of early failure, reflectix does seem to cause the window to get hotter.  I suspect it speeds up the seal failure.

Andrew

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators

I did wonder about the reflectix.

I've known a few people with fogging issues. They all live in hot climates, and all have traveled west. Since we mostly stay east of the Mississippi,  and follow cool weather, I  wonder if that makes a difference? We haven't had an issue,  tol this year, and it's (so far) a small spot in each window.

I know we live in hot/humid Florida,  but the trailer primarily lives in below 80 temps, with Northern summers.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if we want to 1. Repair the window seals 2. Replace the windows with new glass thermal pane windows or 3. Replace the three side windows (only two fogging) with European acrylic thermogenesis windows, awning style.

At the price of the Dometic European windows (Dometic bought out the German company, that bought out the Swedish company...), it's a big decision to make.

Most economical is to take existing windows in for resealing/repair. Two of my friends have done that, in Arkansas. One friend replaced all the windows, with glass windows. 

I'm on the fence, right now. And, I  may stay there, until the fog grows, and obscures my view.

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I did wonder about the reflectix.

I've known a few people with fogging issues. They all live in hot climates, and all have traveled west. Since we mostly stay east of the Mississippi,  and follow cool weather, I  wonder if that makes a difference? We haven't had an issue,  tol this year, and it's (so far) a small spot in each window.

I know we live in hot/humid Florida,  but the trailer primarily lives in below 80 temps, with Northern summers.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if we want to 1. Repair the window seals 2. Replace the windows with new glass thermal pane windows or 3. Replace the three side windows (only two fogging) with European acrylic thermogenesis windows, awning style.

At the price of the Dometic European windows (Dometic bought out the German company, that bought out the Swedish company...), it's a big decision to make.

Most economical is to take existing windows in for resealing/repair. Two of my friends have done that, in Arkansas. One friend replaced all the windows, with glass windows. 

I'm on the fence, right now. And, I  may stay there, until the fog grows, and obscures my view.

We LOVE the idea of the acrylic windows but, I haven't found ones that are the same size as the existing windows.  Have you?

Andrew

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AndrewK said:

We LOVE the idea of the acrylic windows but, I haven't found ones that are the same size as the existing windows.  Have you?

Andrew

Not yet. And, unfortunately,  if I  do, they may not be the same size as yours. Our camper is a 2008, and our windows are a bit smaller than yours, i think.

I'm not sure about sizing yet. I've just begun to look at the acrylics. I'm thinking,  possibly, changing to acrylic thermopane  might be a good idea. Still researching. 

I know the acrylic scratches easily, but so does the dodger on our sailboat.  That's ( sort of fairly) easily fixed , with care and a good product. 

Honestly,  with a 13 year old trailer, I'm trying to figure out the features/benefit ladder. We don't honestly know how many more decades we will camp. The acrylics are lighter, but far more expensive. Our glass  thermopane windows have given good service  for 13 seasons.

Weight isn't really a factor, for us, towing an Elite shorty with a ram half  ton 4 x 4. I'm thinking more about longevity vs cost, and service. And the weird bug screens on the European windows, which i don't love. We do get a lot of bugs in the eastern US. 

I like the opening of the  big awning windows, and extra ventilation. 

It's  a big consideration. I just want to make sure it makes sense, for us. Even if I  can find windows in the right measurements. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

5 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Is the Oliver window cutout a standard travel trailer size? I've been looking at them for years waiting for a window refresh and finally bit the bullet despite all of the window issues that have been documented over the years. I'd feel better knowing the the window cutout is "industry standard." I assumed that wasn't a thing though. 😁

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

• Moderators

I'm pretty sure it's an industry standard size, or close enough. All those rv windows are  fairly standard. 

Our friends replaced 2008 windows, in 2015 , without issue. A tiny bit larger. In an Elite.

For us, its the big deal of $250 repair cost  a window, vs maybe 600 ? a window. 

And, what would be the gain? For us. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

15 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Not yet. And, unfortunately,  if I  do, they may not be the same size as yours. Our camper is a 2008, and our windows are a bit smaller than yours, i think.

I'm not sure about sizing yet. I've just begun to look at the acrylics. I'm thinking,  possibly, changing to acrylic thermopane  might be a good idea. Still researching. 

I know the acrylic scratches easily, but so does the dodger on our sailboat.  That's ( sort of fairly) easily fixed , with care and a good product. 

Honestly,  with a 13 year old trailer, I'm trying to figure out the features/benefit ladder. We don't honestly know how many more decades we will camp. The acrylics are lighter, but far more expensive. Our glass  thermopane windows have given good service  for 13 seasons.

Weight isn't really a factor, for us, towing an Elite shorty with a ram half  ton 4 x 4. I'm thinking more about longevity vs cost, and service. And the weird bug screens on the European windows, which i don't love. We do get a lot of bugs in the eastern US. 

I like the opening of the  big awning windows, and extra ventilation. 

It's  a big consideration. I just want to make sure it makes sense, for us. Even if I  can find windows in the right measurements. 

With acrylic, I would be concerned if you camp a lot in windy beach areas.  Wouldn't blowing sand/salt air etch acrylic beyond repair?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

I read, somewhere, that the reason Oliver hasn't begun using awning style windows is that there are none designed to fit the double hull construction.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

None of the acrylics I have found match the Oliver window sizing. 

image.thumb.png.cd362561ff582871492e2fd847047d3c.png

image.png.f5a6fcfca741388b8bb562b45c756b72.png

It wouldn't be too difficult to adjust the cutouts either by filling or cutting some more glass, but at that point you really have to hate the stock windows.  Thickness from ~1-3 inches are supported, which should cover the gaps in the hull assuming there aren't other problems due to varying distances or motion.

• Thanks 1

Between Olivers…

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
On 11/7/2020 at 10:24 PM, Bikerabbi said:

The recommendation above sounds pretty good if you can get there: lifetime warranty.  (And at my age that should work pretty well!)

https://suncoastdesigners.com/rv-services/defog/

We decided to give Suncoast designers a try. They offer a lifetime warranty, and you have your choice of staying in one of their many rv electric and water hookups, or dropping off the trailer and picking it up a few days later. We're going with the dropoff/ pick up later option, as it's only a little over an hour away, and not really my kind if camping experience. 

I know there are similar facilities in Arkansas and Texas. Quite possibly, many more. I  only researched close to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

We had an appointment for next week, but I  postponed because we ordered the Houghton quiet ac.  

We'll take the trailer to Hudson sometime in April.  Their reviews are plentiful,  and good. Hopefully,  we can get the old Dometic ac off, and the new Houghton installed by then. 

Suncoast is running roughly three weeks out for appointments right now. 

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo, and info.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

We just picked up our trailer from Suncoast Designers in Hudson.

The three side windows that we had removed, repaired, and replaced look very nice. Everything is tidy and clean. 

They aren't far off US 19. Big, big lot. Lots of high end coaches parked getting windows repaired. Some camping during the repairs, in their free campsites. We were the only travel trailer I saw in either visit.

Followup with Maria in customer service was excellent.  Cost for three windows, with tax and shop supplies, was about $1000. They include a lifetime warranty (for the owner, not transferable) against future fogging issues.

I would recommend them.

20210416_115538.jpg

20210416_105633.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Thanks. We still like to use my 2005 Silverado occasionally.  

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4