Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch Info Request

Maverick

Who has experience using an Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch that is purchase with the Oliver Legacy Elite II Travel Trailer?

I have used Reese and Equal-i-Zer Weight Distribution Hitches for years with other travel trailers. When we ordered the Oliver Legacy Elite II last months we included the Anderson WDH. I have reviewed all of the information that I can locate on the web plus several videos and it appears that the Anderson will do a good job.

I am looking for information about hooking up and unhooking of the Oliver from Oliver owners that have used the Anderson.

Thanks for everyone’s advice in advance.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

There was someone here, I can't remember who, in the last 5-6 months that got the Anderson hitch and posted about it. You might look through the towing and hitch threads from the last 5-6 months. I was considering it but based on his post, I decided against it. Maybe he will jump on here.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

That may have been me you are referring to as a previous poster who was not happy with the Anderson Hitch. Admittedly I was not at all happy with the hitch at first. Experience, and some helpful advice from another user I met at a campground have done a lot to change my attitude.

There is one CRITICAL factor that was off in the initial installation by Oliver...chain length. Initially my chains were too long, which led to the failure of the hitch to properly lift the truck and trailer because I could not tighten the chains enough. While at the factory for delivery they shortened the chains and we were able to hitch up and tighten the chains enough. The problem was there was zero slack in the chains, which made life hell when it came time to hitch up...especially if the weather was bad.

While camping at FDR State Park Georgia last month I had a chance to chat with another Anderson owner who helped me with the problem. We were going to simply move the chain holders a half inch forward to make some slack, but the Propane tank brackets prevented any movement. The solution was to go to Ace Hardware and buy two shackles one size larger than the ones that come with the Anderson, which created an extra half inch. What a difference that has made. So when Oliver installes your AWH be sure the chains are perfect.

Another practical tip this camper gave me was to hitch the trailer to the ball and lift up using the electric jack. The jack will actually lift your TV off the ground. The angle created when you do this has the effect of shortening the distance between the trailer hitch and the receiver. I will now say that I can endorse the AWH and it is very effective in controlling sway, and leveling the trailer TV connection.

One more bit of advice. Don't try to make it perfect at the campsite. Hitch up and drive to a safe, level parking area where you can make adjustments.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Trumpetguy:

Thank you very much for the information. Over the years of various travel trailers that we have owned and with each we used a WDH. I have found that it takes some time to properly adjust a WDH to your tow vehicle. The trailer and tow vehicle must be on a level service to obtain correct adjustment. There is no way it can be adjusted on an unlevel surface correctly.

When Oliver sets up the Anderson WDH do they have a level surface to make the adjustment necessary for correct towing? Last month we visited the factory and they had a trailer at the sales office ready for pickup. If I remember correctly it was just gravel drive way outside the sales office garage door and it was sloping way from the building. This arrangement is not acceptable to obtain a correct installation. Or do they deliver the trailer at some other location than the sales office with a level surface that will accommodate both the trailer and tow vehicle?

Also after you obtain the correct adjustment on your Oliver and tow vehicle; could you remove the Anderson triangle plate from below the trailer ball with the trailer tongue raised with the electric tongue jack (providing slack in the chains)? If you could, did you just leave the chains tension alone and not reduce any tension on them?

The Anderson WDH brackets that get mounted on the trailer tongue, I assume they are steel like that comes from the Anderson Factory. Did Oliver drill any holes in the tongue for the set screws that keeps the tongue brackets from creeping during travel? Or did they just crank them into the aluminum tongue as tight as they could get them?

Did you have any other issues during pickup? Also where did Oliver arrange for your first night of camping on them? Again thank you for the information. Safe and enjoyable travels.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

Horace,

Oliver does deliver your trailer from the showroom, and Dustin comes over from the factory to hitch up. You might request a hitch up at the factory parking lot which is level.

I do not have an answer for the set screw question...just that they did use a torque wrench.

I don't have an answer to the question about dropping the plate from the hitch with the jack raised up, but I will check it out next time I hook up. My process is to totally remove the entire assembly in the interest of security. May be a tad too cautious, but I have had things stolen from camp sites. I know, this is unusual and the exception rather than the norm, but once stung....

I imagine you could just drop the plate with the jack raised up, and then everything would be adjusted for the next time. Sounds like a great plan to me.

Robert put us at the Falls Creek camp ground. We were not impressed. Go on out to the Natchez Trace and boon dock for a night.

Trumpetguy:

Thank you for the feed back; on delivery you said they shortened the Anderson chains; I assume they just cut off links of the chain. Until everything has been tested for proper operation after installation; I would have just dropped the extra links at the shackle. You never know when you may needs the extra links for another tow vehicle set up.

When we were at the Oliver factory last month we stopped by the Fall Hollow Creek Campground. There were a few campers which looked like long term tenants. And I agree with you we were not impressed with the campground. We also rode into the KOA campground; it has a nice location but could use a lot of work on the interior roads and just about everywhere else. We did not ride into the Natchez Trace Campground but it looked a lot nicer from the road than any other campground in the area.

Thank you again for the information and hopefully we will run into each other on the road sometime. Safe travels.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

• Moderator+

A bit off topic but just so you'll know, Meriwether Lewis Park is located on the Natchez Trace at Milepost 385.9.

The park offers no hookups (not even a dump station), but fresh water is available from centrally located faucets and there are very clean bathrooms with flush toilets. I've stayed there several times and it's quiet and peaceful. You might well have the campground to yourself or at the very least there will be scant few folks camping with you.

http://www.nps.gov/natr/learn/historycu ... -lewis.htm

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

ScubaRx:

Thank you for the information about the Natchez Trace campground. I think we should stay the first night in a campground with full hookups so we can check out the trailer completely.

Do you have any first hand information about the Seven Points Campground near Nashville, TN? I think we will be camping there for a couple of nights before heading east.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

Horace,

I just noticed you are upgrading from a 2008 Casita SD. We went from a 2007 SD, which was a great little egg and we had made it comfortable by doing some customizing of the sleeping arrangements. Let me tell you that we have had zero regrets over the move up to our Ollie. The differences in quality, comfort, and over all enjoyment justify every dollar of the somewhat high proce.

All the best and we shall see you on the road. Let's get a rally going.

• Moderator+

I think we should stay the first night in a campground with full hookups so we can check out the trailer completely.

I agree, it's unlikely, but should you have any concerns after the first night, you'll be close to the factory and they will be straightened out right away.

Do you have any first hand information about the Seven Points Campground near Nashville, TN? I think we will be camping there for a couple of nights before heading east.

I'm sorry, I have never been at the Seven Points CG.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Staying at a full service CG nearby is a good idea. Our water heater did not work on shore power so we went over to the factory the next morning. They had to replace something electronic in the heater itself. If you look at it as just a place to sleep the Falls Creek CG is not bad...and it is close. Our delivery took awhile and it was dark when we left the office headed to the CG. Robert led us over and helped with set up.

I concur with trumpetguy on this issue. Likewise we had two things that had to be dealt with the next morning, one was a loose vent cover cap, the other was some additional solar panel programming that must have been forgotten. The delivery takes pretty much all day long too, so camping at Fall Hollow while not being the most exciting campground really does make sense for a first night out. Traveling back to the plant for some 60 or 70 miles would not be nearly as efficient should something need to be dealt with.

Regarding the WDH. While we did consider it our decision was to forgo the use of one and have no regrets. Its been said many times that the Olivers towing capability is not like any other TT on the market. After our pick up date we stayed on the road for the rest of the month of March with the entire trip totally 6500 miles of which about 2/3rds or more was towing. We averaged 14.5 MPG for the entire trip in our F150 Eco Boost and considering some of the horrendous weather (heavy winds and heavy rain) we got into felt this was not too bad. But the point is at no time did we feel the Oliver was not towing well, or secure, let alone swaying, bouncing or otherwise creating a safety hazard without the WDH. And at least twice we had to make what I would call semi-emergency stops or maneuvers. The Oliver stayed put and handled well. The scariest was our last day out as we were returning home where a large semi truck just south of Pocatello, ID on I-15 decided for what ever reason to move over into our lane just as we were directly beside him smack dab in the middle of the trailer. I literally slammed on the brakes, hit the horn repeatedly, and made an emergency maneuver completely into the shoulder where the hash marks were embedded to wake up sleepy drives. Any further and we would have been in the ditch with a totaled camper and pick up truck. Again the Oliver w/o wdh performed flawlessly.

Not trying to talk anyone either into or out of using one its a very personal choice but thought the additional POV and info might be helpful, which hopefully is.

Legacy Elite II #70

Thanks to everyone about your Oliver pickup and various issues and for the WDH information. I still am planning of getting the Anderson WDH, if nothing else it is just another safety measure.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

Just to wrap up...now that I have experience with the hitch and have less stress hitching up I can endorse it. I hesitate to confess that on a recent trip I became sandwiched between two rude semi trucks and feeling quite intimidated I floored it to get away from them. Looking down at 90 mph on the speedo I was shocked. The Anderson kept #64 straight and level. The Ollie may have been OK without the hitch but who knows.

By way of additional information I called Anderson today to ask if it is ok to lengthen the chains to accomodate the extended tongue. This to add a generator box. The tech said that longer chains actually perform better and control sway and bounce more efficiently.

Trumpetguy:

After you get the generator box installed; can you post some pictures?

Thank for the feed back on the Anderson WDH Hitch.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

• Moderator+

This is one of the baskets from Oliver and our Yamaha generator mounted on the front of the Outlaw Oliver Elite II. It is all normally concealed under a custom white vinyl cloth cover.

3jbif3gbpounccgewhhynhisxenvtcbm.JPG