Planning to purchase a Legacy Elite II

donthompson

Hello--I'm from near Iowa City, Iowa and plan to purchase an Oliver for delivery in the early Spring of next year. The posts in this forum have been very helpful! I'm planning to retire on 12/31. I haven't spent much time in a travel trailer since the late 60's and early 70's when I pulled my parents' Airstream around the Western U.S. and the Canadian Rockies with an International Travelall. Do any of you remember that tow vehicle? I'll post a couple of questions elsewhere, but just wanted to say hello here and thank all of you for providing such great information.

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• 2 weeks later...

I found out today that I can take deliver of my trailer in late January, 2016. I fly to California each year in February to visit my sisters. One lives in Palm Desert and the other in Newport Beach. I've checked for a southern route from the Oliver factory to Palm Desert and it looks good. It's about 1950 miles--i figure 5 1/2 to 6 days of easy driving pulling the Ollie. I'd leave the trailer in Palm Desert when I drive to Newport Beach and then pick it up and explore for a couple of weeks before returning to Iowa City, IA. I'll have to watch the weather and road conditions traveling from Palm Desert to Iowa.

I haven't pulled a trailer since I was 20 years old when I pulled an Airstream from Nebraska to and through the Canadian Rockies. I've towed lots of boats since then, but no trailers. I'm 66, so it's been awhile.

Am I nuts?? Should I pick it up instead in late February, bring it back to Iowa and do short, weekend shakedown trips to get use to towing a trailer again and to get acquainted with the Ollie, or should I make the maiden voyage a 5,000 mile, 30-45 day voyage in February?

Be blunt, please!

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderator+

I would not hesitate one second starting out to California from Tennessee. Your new Oliver will pull like a dream. There is a group of us that are going that way via the Southern route although we are scheduled to leave somewhere around the middle of January.

Just stick around Hohenwald for a few days after pickup to see if there are any kinks to work out before you leave.

You'll have a great trip.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Don, you never said what your tow vehicle is to pull the Ollie.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and stop by if you come through the Kansas City area.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Good to know. I've driven German cars for almost 40 years--Audi, BMW, Porsche and VW. Audi and VW in particular seem to be doing really well on the reliability front. My 1986 911 is of course absolutely bullet proof!

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderators

1986 911 is classic! My son also has a 2003 996. Yesterday we picked up a 2016 Audi S3 that we ordered in the spring. Our 5th Audi, traded in the 9 year old A4 Avant. We are Thompson's too, must be something there.

We are scheduled for a factory visit October 12th. Not sure what the timeline will be after that, probably sometime in the Spring.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS