Propane tank access hatch

trumpetguy

f75gfvezecz9qxljwsxthjobhardzzl5.jpg

I saw this posted and thought it a great idea so I bought the hatch from West Marine. Using the hatch ring for a template (taped it to the tank cover upside down) I cut a hole using a Dremel universal cutting bit. A little 3M 4200 and all done. I will fill the screw holes with stainless screws, but the photo gives you the idea.

No more struggling with the no stretch bungees to turn the tanks on and off. I hate getting old and the arthritis that comes with it, but there are ways to make little chores easier.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

I saw that post also and think I will do the same thing I like the idea of not having to remove the cover just to turn off the propane. Where did you decide to mount it and I would probably just use rivets instead of screws your not holding very much with the ring. Looks good. Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Gary,

I centered the hatch side to side, and put it as high on the cover as I could due to having 30 pound tanks. Screws are not needed because I used 4200 sealant.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

I used a 5 inch deck plate made by Sea Dog and ordered it thru fisheriessupply.com in Seattle. The deck plate is less than $15. The 5" deck plate takes a 5.5" holesaw for the cutout. Home Depot does not sell that 5.5" holesaw at their stores but I was able to order that online from Home Depot.

Oliver uses a 4 inch Sea Dog deck plate in the overhead cabinets used for wiring access. If your arm fits in the 4 inch deck plate up to the elbow then that would probably a better bet. The 4 inch Sea Dog deck plate takes a 4.5" holesaw which Home Depot should have in store.