Oliver Tool Kit

dharmardr

For those handymen and handywomen out there. What would the contents of your Oliver Tool Kit look like?

Caulk gun, good caulk, razor knife, assorted screw drivers, vise grips. channel locks etc.?

Having not picked ours up yet I don't yet know what specific wrenches I might need yet.

Maybe solvents, cleaning solutions, etc. etc.?

Any experience in this area would be helpful to me to put together a tool box to bring with me. I have collected so many tool here at home I can probably make up quite a tool box from extra tools that I have.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

Grayson and Ann Cook

Northwest CT and Mid Coast Maine

2016 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed FP

Toyota Tundra, Extra Cab, Long bed, 5.7 V8

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah

• Moderator+

I transferred our tool kit from our previous Oliver Elite to our current Elite II. Rather than try to tell you what you need I'll tell you what I carry and you can make your own decision as to whether you might want to also.

Misc. screwdrivers (flat and phillips)

Misc. pliers, wire cutters/strippers/crimping tools, vice grips, hemostats

Hammer, rubber and regular

Multi-Meter

A full set of metric and SAE wrenches

A full set of metric and SAE sockets

Two DeWalt 18V cordless tools (drill/driver and Impact)

A full set of 64 drill bits

The 18V batteries also fit a DeWalt Vacuum and flashlight

An 18 inch long 1/2 inch drive breaker bar with a 5 inch extension bar

An 18 inch long 1/2 inch drive torque wrench

A dedicated 6pt socket that fits the lug nuts on the Oliver and Truck

A dedicated 6pt socket that fits the anode in the water heater (mostly in case someone else needs it)

A 12 volt air compressor

Tire plug kit, Pressure gauge, Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer (for hubs and tires)

A collection or stainless steel screws, bolts, nuts and washers

Extra fuses

Flashlights, butane lighters

Misc. crimp type wire connectors and terminals, roll of electrical tape

Duct Tape, WD-40, Silicone Spray, several rolls of that green Velcro that's used to tie up plants etc. (just cut off what you need to secure cords or what-ever), scotch tape

Tube of White Caulk

Misc. hose fittings such as Y's and cut-off valves, extra rubber washers

Two complete sets of wheel bearings, races and grease seals as well as grease in a NEW, CLEAN grease gun

Jumper Cables (these will come in really handy if your converter/charger ever fails - guess how I know)

30 amp to 50 amp converter, 30 amp to 15 amp converter, 120V extension cord

Clear Elbow for hooking up the sewer hose when full hookups are available or at a dump station

Water purifier

Misc. wooden blocks to put under our jacks

Misc. bungee cords, para-cord

120V extension cord

This is the bulk of what we take, it sounds like a lot of stuff now that I've written it down, but with the exception of the wheel bearings and tire plug kit, we've needed each of these at one time or another.

• Thanks 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

That's a big help Steve. I have most or all of that now but had not considered taking it with me. Your post has made me reconsider.

For instance I had not considered bringing the compressor. But rethinking it, if I was out in a National Forest without any neighbors (been there) it certainly would be an advantage if I had a flat tire. I will have think about my packing and storage for these items.

Thank you for the feedback Steve. I will use your list as a guide.

Grayson

• Like 1

Grayson and Ann Cook

Northwest CT and Mid Coast Maine

2016 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed FP

Toyota Tundra, Extra Cab, Long bed, 5.7 V8

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah

• 3 months later...

I transferred our tool kit from our previous Oliver Elite to our current Elite II. Rather than try to tell you what you need I'll tell you what I carry and you can make your own decision as to whether you might want to also.

Misc. screwdrivers (flat and phillips)

Misc. pliers, wire cutters/strippers/crimping tools, vice grips, hemostats

Hammer, rubber and regular

Multi-Meter

A full set of metric and SAE wrenches

A full set of metric and SAE sockets

Two DeWalt 18V cordless tools (drill/driver and Impact)

A full set of 64 drill bits

The 18V batteries also fit a DeWalt Vacuum and flashlight

An 18 inch long 1/2 inch drive breaker bar with a 5 inch extension bar

An 18 inch long 1/2 inch drive torque wrench

A dedicated 6pt socket that fits the lug nuts on the Oliver and Truck

A dedicated 6pt socket that fits the anode in the water heater (mostly in case someone else needs it)

A 12 volt air compressor

Tire plug kit, Pressure gauge, Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer (for hubs and tires)

A collection or stainless steel screws, bolts, nuts and washers

Extra fuses

Flashlights, butane lighters

Misc. crimp type wire connectors and terminals, roll of electrical tape

Duct Tape, WD-40, Silicone Spray, several rolls of that green Velcro that's used to tie up plants etc. (just cut off what you need to secure cords or what-ever), scotch tape

Tube of White Caulk

Misc. hose fittings such as Y's and cut-off valves, extra rubber washers

Two complete sets of wheel bearings, races and grease seals as well as grease in a NEW, CLEAN grease gun

Jumper Cables (these will come in really handy if your converter/charger ever fails - guess how I know)

30 amp to 50 amp converter, 30 amp to 15 amp converter, 120V extension cord

Clear Elbow for hooking up the sewer hose when full hookups are available or at a dump station

Water purifier

Misc. wooden blocks to put under our jacks

Misc. bungee cords, para-cord

120V extension cord

This is the bulk of what we take, it sounds like a lot of stuff now that I've written it down, but with the exception of the wheel bearings and tire plug kit, we've needed each of these at one time or another.

That is a rather large kit. From everything I have read about Olivers why would you need such a kit? I thought the units were solid without the need of much repair. Your kit sounds like what I had to carry in my stick trailer. Am I missing something could you please explain a bit as to why you would need such a laundry list of equipment when rolling in your ollie?

I do not mean to speak for the poster who provided the list, which I very much appreciate. But I will point out that his list contains relatively few items for repairs due to poor quality or workmanship. Any trailer or tow vehicle can get a flat tire or a blown fuse. Any person might experience problems with batteries, which are not manufactured by Oliver. There may be a malfunction in appliances, which are not manufactured by Oliver. Who doesn't need to carry a flashlight? Every trailer owner needs that sewer elbow and blocks.

In the back of our Hyundai Elantra is a toolkit with many of the same items on that list, including common hand tools, duct tape, paracord, flashlight, tarp, blankets, pillows, bottled water and slow to perish foods. Not once have we cracked that tool box or needed any of the other provisions, but it's better to have them and never need them than to need them and not have them. And chances are even greater when camping rather than normal routine that one would need to take care of repairs themselves.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderator+

Hi Robert, thanks for wondering about my tool box. I grew up in a family that operated two manufacturing businesses and had every conceivable tool imaginable. From woodworking to metalworking and everything in between. CNC machines for both wood and metal working, lathes, press brakes, air compressors and air tools, table saws, drill presses, grinders, sanders, welders, you-name-it, we-had-it. With the exception of the CNC stuff, I've still got most of these tools. When I compare the four gigantic toolboxes (of just hand tools) that I have in my shop at home to the two or three little tool bags I carry with us on trips I feel like I have only the very bare necessities. I don't expect to have any problems with my Oliver, I never have had with either of the two I've owned. But if a problem does arise, I'll be able to fix it. Most likely, however, someone else will need help and I'll have whatever I need to get them back on the road.

Cheers,

Steve

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

One other item I carry is a spare GFI outlet. On my Ollie (I don't know if they're all wired the same way) the outside AC outlet is the GFI that protects ALL the AC outlets in the trailer. On two occasions in the last 8 years I've had it fail, rendering all outlets unusable. Although it is a water resistant outlet with a cover it seems that over time moisture takes its toll. A 10 minute repair job and cheap insurance.

• Like 1

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

This is a little late but I want to comment on Steve's extensive tool box and what he said about helping others. While camping with Steve and Tali last October I mentioned that I had bought some extra coat hooks from Oliver but had not installed them because I was uncertain about the thickness of the wall. Next thing I know here comes Steve with drill and tool kits. Ten minutes later my hooks were ready to use and they are quite handy.

Friends of mine poke fun because I carry a ready pack full of emergency supplies at all times. Yeah I am a prepper...not doomsday though. While hiking near the Blue Ridge Parkway last August we came across a downed man suffering from a Diabetic episode with no help anywhere. I carry Cliff bars and after a few bites he was good to go...and so grateful.

Scouts motto...be prepared. It may be someone else who needs help.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel