St. Augustine in mid-February

topgun2

• Moderators

Need some suggestions!

My wife and I will pick up our new Oliver Elite II in mid February, 2016. After the night in Hohenwald we will head south and plan to spend our second night just north of Macon, GA. We will then head to St. Augustine and spend a few days getting to know "Twist". Does anyone have suggestions for breakfast and dinner places? Casual dining is more our style versus fancy.

Thanks for the help!

Topgun2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

How about the dinette set in your brand new trailer, casual dining with just the right touch of fancy. : )

Of course you would have to bring along some cooking utensils and food. We usually take along a number of ready cooked meals (that we made) that just have to be heated up.

Have fun with your new trailer.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

How about the dinette set in your brand new trailer, casual dining with just the right touch of fancy. : )

Of course you would have to bring along some cooking utensils and food. We usually take along a number of ready cooked meals (that we made) that just have to be heated up.

Have fun with your new trailer.

Stan

Stan,

Basically you hit on the problem - in picking up the new Ollie we will not have it stocked with our "normal" supplies. This means that we will be eating out more often than normal.

Topgun2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Hi Topgun2 - St. Augustine is a great place to visit and it is especially nice in February. There are several places to go to eat depending on what you feel like on any given day. I've listed several below that are my go to places. If any call I suggest Googling them to get directions from where you will be camping. Hope they work for you.

On Anastasia Island (over the bridge from downtown/Old Town)

All are casual wear - lots of shorts and t-shirts in the summer.

South Beach Grill - has been around for awhile - you can sit outside and see the ocean and beach. I can recommend the fish tacos - fried shrimp - fresh fish - the cantina bowl with your protein of choice

O’Steens - a fixture in the area for a long time - always a line so get there early if you don’t want to wait to long. Known for their fried shrimp - cash only

Captains BBQ - about 20 min south on A1A from St Aug Beach - great BBQ adjacent to a county park. Recommend the ribs and the turkey sandwich - however everything is really good.

Salt Life - moderately newish - coastal fare and burgers. Had the fish tacos several times. There is an upper outdoor deck if the weather is good.

Cafe 11 - great weekend brunch.

Slightly nicer dress but still casual.

Purple Olive - good variety of very tasty dishes. Have not been disappointed by anything on the table.

In the Old Town Historic Area - generally don’t eat here since a bit pricier. I’m sure there are good places to go.

Pizza Time - the BEST pizza!!! (not sure if you can tell but I really like their pizza ;-) Have taken several friends/family there and all agree it is wonderful.

The Hyppo - great frozen popsicles

Kilwins - ice cream

Topgun2 - also, while you are here do you mind if I take a peek at your new Ollie? I would like to do some extended trips and the Olivier is on my shortlist. I'm doing lots of reading/learning and would love to see one in person.

• Moderators

BBchBum,

THANKS! Exactly what I was looking for. Also heard that the "Bunnery" has great sticky buns and one of my favorite places for fish and chips from a few years ago is the Kings Head British Pub out on Highway 1. Have also heard about Saltwater Cowboys but am a little concerned that it might be a tourist place.

With regards to taking a look at our new Ollie (Twist) - absolutely no problem! Why don't you PM me with your phone number and I will give you a call when we get to town. We presently are scheduled to be over at Faver-Dykes State Park for the nights of February 18, 19, and 20, 2016 in site 21. Unfortunately I do not have a cell phone that you can call me on.

Topgun2 (aka Bill Jones)

• 2 months later...

You might check my article on "Camping Under The Bloodmoon", further down in this forum. If you are into really simple food for lunch, try Hazel's Hot Dog stand. They are really good, especially the 'Spicey Dog'. The are located here:2400 N Ponce De Leon Blvd

Saint Augustine, FL 32084