kitchen, breakables, computers

lindapshields

Hello,

We ordered a Legacy Elite II and are to pick it up in December. I have some questions about the kitchen, the cubbies, and what people have done.

My concern revolves around breakable items..dishes, glasses, cameras and computers.

Do you use Corelle or what for dishes?

Where do you keep the dishes ?

Do the cubbies stay reliably closed? If so how do you keep you dishes from moving around.

Or do you use the drawers for dishes?

How do you store the dishes?

How about laptops and cameras? Where do you store those?

I really don't want plastic rolling around either.

I was thinking about the using the nice quality unbreakable glasses but melamine doesn't work in the microwave so then I am back to glass for some things.

I did see a link to basic kitchen supplies so I think I have a good idea of minimal things to start to collect for kitchen use.

Thanks for any help

Linda

• Moderators

Linda,

You're gonna LOVE your Ollie. December pickup...what a great Christmas present.

After 7+ years and 99,000 miles of wonderful wondering in my Ollie, I've "graduated" to nice paper plates. For me, it's all about relaxing, not washing dishes. (also saves water while boon docking) Initially, I had the full Correlle thing going and duplicated just about every kitchen gadget I have in my home. (My wife was a gourmet cook and we enjoyed creativity in the kitchen. I thought I'd replicate that on the road...HA...That lasted about a year) Now I travel with two crockpots, a rice cooker, and four different sized/types of pans. I also take an induction cooktop stove and a portable oven by NuWave. (They work just like the infomercial says) Another way to ease cleanup when using one of my two crockpots is to use a crockpot liner. (Who even knew those things existed?) Simply put leftovers in a storage container and toss the liner out.

I keep a nice set of knives attached to a strong, faux-wood magnetic holder (from Williams - Sonoma) which is attached to the galley wall with industrial strength two sided tape. They ride there on the wall and do not fall off during travel. Plastic glasses, but a nice ceramic coffee mug.

I use a utensil organizer in one of the drawers, but no cubbyhole containers in the overhead storage. I do have a "system" of where I put things so they are always within a few inches of where they were originally placed. (Jumbled perhaps, but findable) I keep a white plastic dishpan in the sink which is where my Britta filter pitcher and Keurig coffer maker ride down the road.

Any precious items such as computers or instruments ride safely on the bed for travel and they go to the front dinette seat at nighttime.

Have fun figuring out your plan. Expect it to morph into something different as your lifestyle on the road becomes more clearly defined.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

I forgot about the toaster I carry that rides nicely wedged behind the galley faucet handles and rests against a small bottle of EVOO and my salt & pepper grinders to its left, up against the wall containing the microwave oven.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Linda and Bugeyedriver,

Thanks for the question and the answers. I too have been thinking about organization in my new Oliver (Twist) that I'll pick up in mid February. In my old stick built camper I used a bunch of semi-clear plastic bins from WalMart to hold most of my "stuff". I agree with Bugeyedriver on the paper plate thing - while not great for the environment it does save a bunch of water and time/effort. Now all I have to do is find a place for my "pop-a-plate" to hold those paper plates. The only thing that I have purchased so far for the kitchen area is a paper towel holder that I intend to sticky-tape to the wall near the kitchen sink. I do always carry a couple of "proper" glass wine glasses. These I double wrap in plastic bags and then pack them in with kitchen linens.

Despite all of the above, I agree with Bugeyedriver in that over time I'm sure that I will find a place for all camping things. However, one must do something to take the edge off the wait time before getting the new Ollie.

Topgun2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I appreciate the ideas.

We are going to start collecting things for camper to "take the edge off the wait". I think I will get nordicware plates and bowls, but also some paper plates. We are going to use those unbreakable glasses that look like glass. Our indulgence will be our ceramic coffee mugs and maybe a couple of real wine glasses. We have been backpackers so are good at figuring basic items and can add as we go. Dave is getting a bike carrier for the trailer. Also a screen room that is easy to put up as mosquitos love him and black flies love me.

I am interested in the Fagor multicooker. Has anyone used this item?

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the ideas.

We are going to start collecting things for camper to "take the edge off the wait". I think I will get nordicware plates and bowls, but also some paper plates. We are going to use those unbreakable glasses that look like glass. Our indulgence will be our ceramic coffee mugs and maybe a couple of real wine glasses. We have been backpackers so are good at figuring basic items and can add as we go. Dave is getting a bike carrier for the trailer. Also a screen room that is easy to put up as mosquitos love him and black flies love me.

I am interested in the Fagor multicooker. Has anyone used this item?

Linda

Have you found that screen room yet? If so, what did you get? Very interested in getting one too.

Thanks.

• Moderators

llfalcon,

I recently purchased a "Clam" brand screen room. Because I usually travel alone I got the "traveler" model which is basically six by six feet and plenty of room for two or three people. All of the Clam products are relatively expensive, but they are nicely put together easy to set up, and even easier to take down. They use a center "hub" which allows you to simply "pop" the sides and top into place without wrestling with separate poles and stakes (you should still stake it once it is set up to keep it from blowing away, but it is not mandatory).

Hope this helps!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

llfalcon,

I recently purchased a "Clam" brand screen room. Because I usually travel alone I got the "traveler" model which is basically six by six feet and plenty of room for two or three people. All of the Clam products are relatively expensive, but they are nicely put together easy to set up, and even easier to take down. They use a center "hub" which allows you to simply "pop" the sides and top into place without wrestling with separate poles and stakes (you should still stake it once it is set up to keep it from blowing away, but it is not mandatory).

Hope this helps!

Bill

Excellent, and thank you! I spent most of yesterday researching screen rooms and decided on a Clam also!

Now, I just need an Ollie...

• Moderators

Actually Clam and Oliver are similar in that they are both quality products. The wait time on the Clam is considerably shorter that that for the Oliver. If you haven't purchased the Clam yet, you might want to take a serious look at the Kelty. At least one model of the Kelty has rain/wind panels that are included and can be raised/lowered from inside the shelter. However, the downside is that the Kelty is a bit more difficult to set up.

Bill

• Moderators

I can speak from personal experience:

The Clam does break down as easily as shown in the video - absolutely no problem - really slick.

However, I do not believe that it sets up as easily as shown in the video. Disclaimer - I've have only set mine up six times so far. Basically one has to pull out on the center hub while holding the top and the bottom of the screen room down. It takes a bit of force to pull the hub out and a bit of "wing span" and/or dexterity to hold the top and bottom all at the same time. Once everything falls into place - you grab it properly and pull it properly, you can feel the fiberglass poles starting to bend outwards. At that point it is a snap (so to speak). I'm guessing that it gets easier the more times you do it. Also, at least on the tourist model, popping up the roof is interesting unless you have the shelter already staked to the ground. Think about it - as you push up on the center hub of the roof what holds the sides down? OK, so simply grab one of the sides and push up? That takes some rather long arms.

In any case, the setup is certainly no more difficult than wrestling with poles and canvas of a regular shelter.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators

P.S.

No question about it - I would highly recommend the Clam. Simple, nice design, well put together and very stable in the wind.

Bill

• Moderators

We carry our computers in the truck with us when we travel.

I have melmac dinnerware, and use unbreakable wine glasses and tumblers. The Strahl stemless wine glasses are great for the trailer and the patio. Made in New Zealand, have had ours for five or six years, and they travel very well. Still look new.

The real key, as you found out in your previous stickie, is to pack things so they cant move around. In our Ollie, I use fabric Skubb boxes from IKEA, and a few old tupperware pieces, to contain smaller items in the upper cabinets.

I carry heavy items low. My one skillet and one pot go in the tall drawer, along with lid, cutting board, foil, and a few other items. They nest tight and stay put.

I keep my melmac dinnerware in suction cup trays designed for bathrooms, affixed to the back of the "kitchen'" area. Mine were from Target. They work great. I also use paper plates a lot, but for wood-fired steaks, i like real plates.

Top drawer, with insert, holds cutlery, knives, flashlight, odds n ends. I use the bottom drawer for canned goods. I like to keep weight low, and lighter weight stuff up higher.

I use a couple bins under the bed for storing clothes and extra gear. Our large dinette stays set up as a bed all the time.

Since we don't often have power, I have a tea kettle and an old coffee carafe, and a pourover Mellita coffee maker that makes wonderful coffee. They ride in the sink when we travel. I use a Sterilite small dishpan in the sink, and that protects the sink from scratches, and keeps me aware of how much water I've used to do dishes, as well.

You'll figure it all out as you go along. Keeping a system and knowing where everything is takes awhile, and then it all gets easy. Setting up and breaking camp is just minutes with our Oliver.

I truly hope you enjoy your travels with your Oliver as much as we have enjoyed ours. We've seen places we'd never have gone with a larger trailer or motorhome. Tows great, parks easily, and we love it.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

topgun, that Camco pop a plate is pretty cool. I see they have some stack-a-plate options for real plates that would be great if you wanted to carry melmac or other plates, in a drawer, or in a cabinet. I use something similar for my dinner plates at home, in my drawers for china and dishes. I'm going to check into those next time we stop at a Camping World.

There are a few (very few) microwaveable melamine dishes out there besides NordicWare. Zak makes some, though limited colors, they'd probably mix and match with some of their prettier patterns. I'm not crazy about corelle in a trailer, as it disintegrates into a zillion shards when it does break.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Sherry,

Yes, the pop-a-plate for paper plates is cool, but, is there a nice place in the Elite II to put it? In my previous campers I simply attached it to the top/ceiling on a cabinet near the stove. But, given the "curve" of the hull on the interior of the cabinets of the Oliver I'm not sure that it will work. Does anyone out there in Oliver land presently use one of these? Where did you put it?

Thanks,

Bill