HITCH LOCKS

Greetings everyone,

I have been wondering if any of you use some sort of hitch lock on your Olivers. I've been looking at this one in particular:

Problem is, it looks like the Bulldog hitch used by Oliver is bolted on to the frame. Probably has to do with the hitch extension feature. But with a hitch lock on, all a thief would have to do is remove the two bolts and drop the hitch, lock and all. At least, that is how it appears. Of course they would also need a new hitch to bolt back on.... So, am I worrying for nothing? How do you all secure your trailers while off in the tules.

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

• Moderators

While off in the tules, I use a lock on the Bulldog and also run a large, hardened cable lock through a hole in my wheel, over the axle, and out through another wheel hole. Then I put the baddest looking hardened key lock to the ends of the cable.

I also have a GPS locating device hidden between the shells and connected to the 12V battery system (with backup batteries internally) that will enable me to track the trailer's location on my computer or cell phone. https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

A very determined crook will still get the trailer, but I figure that is what insurance is for.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

While off in the tules, I use a lock on the Bulldog and also run a large, hardened cable lock through a hole in my wheel, over the axle, and out through another wheel hole. Then I put the baddest looking hardened key lock to the ends of the cable.

I also have a GPS locating device hidden between the shells and connected to the 12V battery system (with backup batteries internally) that will enable me to track the trailer's location on my computer or cell phone.

A very determined crook will still get the trailer, but I figure that is what insurance is for.

Would you mind sharing where the tracker is installed between the shells and how it is connected to the 12v system? Newbie here, I know nothing...

• Moderators

I had a 12V outlet installed inside one of the overhead cabinets and the SPOT Trace is plugged into that with a 12V/USB connector. The cord to the Trace is long enough to reach up and wedge it between the shells where it is not likely to be found, or you could simply lay it in the back of the cabinet and cover it with numerous, miscellaneous items.

The Trace is also programmed to send my trailers' location to family and friends which gives them peace of mind when I head out on a long wander across the country.

About the hitch bolts . . . I wonder if there is a way to fabricate a collar of some sort which could clamp over them and be secured with a strong lock. Hmmmmmm . . .

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Thanks for your advise Pete.

I'll look into that GPS unit.

Regarding your cable, what length do you use?

Would a chain also work? I don't know how much clearance there is over the top of the axle, (or through the hole on the wheel) for a heavy (16mm) hardened chain to loop over. I'm currently thinking something like this may be a better way to go than the hitch coupler lock. That coupler lock is expensive and it doesn't prevent a determined thief from just chaining up the trailer to their hitch and dragging it off to parts unknown.

Dave

• Moderators

Would a chain also work? I don't know how much clearance there is over the top of the axle, (or through the hole on the wheel) for a heavy (16mm) hardened chain to loop over....

Dave

Dave,

I just went and found the thickest safety cable I could find and it wound up being plenty long. My trailer is a high lift version with the leaf springs mounted above the axle and there is plenty of room or thick cable to pass over the axle and under the trailer chassis. My cable has loops on the end which I am able to fit through the large holes in my wheels from Discount Tire which I purchased when I went to 16" wheels. If you have small holes in the wheel, your issue will be finding something that will fit through the holes.

Pete

• Moderators

Would a chain also work? I don't know how much clearance there is over the top of the axle, (or through the hole on the wheel) for a heavy (16mm) hardened chain to loop over....

Dave

Dave,

I just went and found the thickest safety cable I could find and it wound up being plenty long. My trailer is a high lift version with the leaf springs mounted above the axle and there is plenty of room or thick cable to pass over the axle and under the trailer chassis. My cable has loops on the end which I am able to fit through the large holes in my wheels from Discount Tire which I purchased when I went to 16" wheels. If you have small holes in the wheel, your issue will be finding something that will fit through the holes.

Pete

OK. Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be figuring most of this out after I have our trailer in hand, and can see just what I have to work with.

I know insurance is critical, and that will definitely be attended to. But I also feel that a good defense strategy is just as important while on the road. No one wants the headache/heartbreak of loosing their rig in the middle of a trip no matter how well they are insured.

Dave

• Moderator+

Dave, check out this thread:

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg