Dressing a twin bed Elite II

topgun2

• Moderators

In preparing to get delivery of my 2016 Elite II I'm curious as to how other people "make the bed". I intend to simply use a sleeping bag on top of the mattress but intend to cover the mattress with a mattress pad. Unfortunately, mattress pads are most often a simple white and look like the bed is un-made. Adding a simple fitted sheet also would have the look of an un-made bed. Therefore, I'm thinking about another cover on top of the pad. Is there such a thing as a "fitted" comforter? Any novel ideas? Has anyone made a cover in the same fabric that was used to cover the cushions in the dinette?

Thanks for the help!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I'm curious about this too. I want custom mattresses for the twin bed floor plan, but I want them covered the same as the dinette cushions, so that like you, we can just use bags for sleeping. I believe a forum member by name of trumpetguy had 8 inch foam mattresses, which he bought and had cut to size, covered by his wife to match the dinette cushions. She did a wonderful job.

I wonder if Oliver will cover custom mattresses to match the dinette cushions.

We cover our pads with a padded mattress cover and a fitted sheet. We have found that using a flat sheet and regular comforter works perfect. We matched the comforter to the seat cushions. It was a set of bedding from Walmart. the comforter and flat sheet and simply tucked under the mattress and the mattress cover doesn't show. Works great for us.

Bob & Janice

I'm sure my wife can answer much better than I can but she also uses a mattress pad with fitted sheets and places the comforter on top tucked in works really well and always looks good. we had mattresses made at Southern Mattress Co just outside Raliegh NC and they are really nice people they do a lot of them for the Casita trailers. They made ours and our friends camper the same day so they have the pattern and we all really like them sleep like a baby. See what works for you and enjoy the Oliver as I know you will. Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

The memory foam mattresses are really comfortable. We paid less than $250 at Amazon. Carol made a paper template of the bed which we gave a local foam shop when they cut the mattresses to size.

To make our bed we simply roll out the bed roll which stays on the bed under throw pollows during the day. I like the sleeping bag idea but it would be too hot for our type of camping.

Oliver has pics of our layout on their Facebook page, or you may visit my blog.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

To make our bed we simply roll out the bed roll which stays on the bed under throw pollows during the day. I like the sleeping bag idea but it would be too hot for our type of camping.

By bed roll, do you mean a purchased roll like the RV Super Bag (pricey, but folks rave about them), or layers of sheets and covers that you roll up together?

http://www.rvsuperbag.com

Try the blog now. There was some type of re certify I had to do,.

Bed roll is whatever is on the bed when we wake up. My wife sewed a fitted sheet for the bottom. I f I have a sheet plus blanket I undo the corners at the head and with pillow inside just roll it up. Low tech and cheap but it works. At night I just reverse the roll...wrap the corners and go to sleep. Bed by night, sofa by day.

• Thanks 1

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Try the blog now. There was some type of re certify I had to do,.

Bed roll is whatever is on the bed when we wake up. My wife sewed a fitted sheet for the bottom. I f I have a sheet plus blanket I undo the corners at the head and with pillow inside just roll it up. Low tech and cheap but it works. At night I just reverse the roll...wrap the corners and go to sleep. Bed by night, sofa by day.

Thanks! The link works now. Love looking at your trailer interior.

Please ask your wife is she cut the cording fabric on the bias. I'm seriously considering doing as you guys did, just making the cushions and mattresses myself.

• Moderators

IIfalcon,

I'm guessing that the folks at Oliver could get a cover made from the same material that you are using on the dinette cushions. I opted for the one side of the twin bed layout to be used as a sofa (like Ron Merritt) and I wanted an additional cushion for leaning up against the "pantry" wall so I could sit in that corner and watch TV. Anita told me that this was no problem.

For what its worth, I ordered the firmest mattress that Oliver sells with the Elite II. I think that this mattress is only 5 inches deep and hope that with the relatively narrow depth combined with the shaved off corner at the back of the mattress, a fitted sheet and mattress pad will not be too loose. My wife has already given me four of those elastic straps that can be clipped to the bottom of either the pad or fitted sheet in order to snug it up if necessary.

Perhaps either tucking in a regular comforter or getting a cover made like you are thinking about is the way to go.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

For anyone interested, I found a website that sells sheets to fit 30" × 75" mattresses, in 200, 300 and 500 thread count cotton, plus flannel and satin. I have not purchased from them so cannot speak to quality and service. If I decide to go with permanent bed linens, I will give them a try, but presently I'm leaning toward upholstered mattresses with either a self fashioned bed roll or the rv superbag.

www.customlinensdirect.com

Search for: 30"

Other mattress lengths will come up, but it's easy to find the 75".

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the post. We're considering purchasing a Legacy Elite II configured with twin beds.

Is there a recommendations for bedding? Do twin sized work well, or do most people use a full/double?

Thanks much.

Keith

Happiness is seeing Atlanta in your rearview mirror. :-)

We pick ours up in a couple of weeks. Anita said cot sheets work on the twin beds as they are a different size than usual twin mattresses. Anita is making some for us that she thinks will be a superior fit. I am going to make a couple of simple quilts for the beds and some fleece blankets. We will be using sleeping bags for the first trip till we get home and I have time to sew.

Linda

• Moderators

Linda,

"Twist" must be fairly close behind you on the assembly line since we pick up in mid-Feb. If you are over at the factory in a couple of weeks, please say hello and tell Twist that I will be along soon.

As a temporary solution we bought standard twin size sheets at WalMart. We figured they would do until we got home and could figure out something better - if necessary. Since we are having one side of the twin bed arrangement configured as a sofa, we will try to get something like a throw or comforter to match the rest of the cushions. If we can not find what we want we can always ask Anita if the "cushion guy" can sew up a cover out of the same material.

In any case, I know that you can hardly wait until your delivery date. Anita told me that the time would pass very quickly - well - she was WRONG. However, we have been able to come up with two more trips that we want to make.

Have fun and let us know how the whole process goes.

Bill

Thanks for the post. We're considering purchasing a Legacy Elite II configured with twin beds.

Is there a recommendations for bedding? Do twin sized work well, or do most people use a full/double?

Thanks much.

Keith

The Oliver twin mattresses are 30" × 75", the size I mention in the post above, available from http://www.customlinensdirect.com and other websites. Standard twin sheets are sized to fit 39" × 74", twin XL to fit 39" x 80". However, one Oliver owner with twin beds told me standard twin sheets work fine for her.

I think a fitted double would be far too large.

• 3 years later...