supplies for picking up Oliver

Hello, We are to pick up our Oliver on 12/10. We received a list of supplies we need to bring with us and need some advice.

1) potable water hose and sewer hose.. how long should these be?

Also advise on what/ how to choose these things..

pad supports for Stabilizing Jacks

Wheel chucks

Thanks

Linda

Linda:

When we pick up our Oliver on September 2, 2015 they supplied a 25 foot water hose and a sewer hose. We brought with us both of these items since we had them with our trailer that we sold.

As for the ground supports for the stabilizing jacks (3) including tongue jack. You can use some type of wood apx 8" x 8" or we use the lego blocks which can be purchased from Wal-Mart. If I remember correctly the lego block comes in a set of 10.

Good luck and happy camping.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

• Moderator+

Linda,

Congrats on the impending hatch of your new "baby".

As far as the hoses go, Oliver will supply you with both the water and sewer hose. If you choose to supply additional ones of your own, potable water hoses are always white and are easily found in the (usually small and limited) RV section at most Wal-Marts. If you buy an additional sewer hose, pick the heaviest duty one you can find. We went for 5 years with our first Oliver without needing any more sewer hose than came with it. I did add a couple of extra lengths when I made a dump station at home. I've taken to carrying one of these with us in case we have a campsite that has "full" hookups (water, electric AND sewer). If you plan to camp where you will regularly have access to campsite sewer hookup you will usually need an additional length of hose and a sewer elbow will make the connection to it a lot more pleasant (think Robin Williams in the movie RV).

Unless you are perpetually parked on concrete or some sort of pavement, you will probably have to have something to put under the feet on the leveling jacks. The Oliver is heavy and if you are parked for any length of time on anything other than solid ground they will tend to sink in somewhat. I use some 8 inch lengths of 4x6 treated wood stood on end under the back two jacks. This keeps me from having to extend/retract them their full length (this also saves on battery power if you are not hooked up to electricity). Also, if you forget to raise those rear jacks before pulling out of your campsite, having them already 8 inches off the ground will go a long way toward not discovering this error by immediately bending the jacks backward. I likewise use some 4x6 blocks under the front jack but not stood on end. If the trailer moves forward or backward more than a few inches it would topple off an upright block and, based on a tongue weight of over 500 pounds, the jack would hit the ground pretty hard.

Which brings us to the subject of chocks. You need them. You didn't mention which Oliver model you are getting but for the single axle you need two chocks; for the twin axle, at least two, four would be better. Harbor Freight has some that are made of solid rubber for about $6-7 each. Put these in front of and in back of your tires BEFORE you unhitch. You never know if the site is just unlevel enough to make the trailer roll when you raise it off the ball. Even a few inches can be bad. Backwards usually not so much but it might get away from you and go down a hill someplace :roll:, forwards and you've got a nice ding in your tow vehicle.

Not knowing your experience, I hope these little pearls of info are not redundant to you and will serve to enhance your camping adventures and help you avoid some of the pitfalls that await all of us.

May your road go ever on.....

Steve

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Linda,

Not knowing your experience, I hope these little pearls of info are not redundant to you and will serve to enhance your camping adventures and help you avoid some of the pitfalls that await all of us.

May your road go ever on.....

Steve

I'm not the original poster, but as a complete novice lusting after an Ollie, I found these bits of info to indeed be pearls!

Many thanks,

A different Linda

• Moderators

I'd like to reinforce what Steve has said about the chocks. In the rush to set up camp, on a dark/rainy evening, or if the bugs are bad, there is a tendency to rush or get out of the "normal" way you setup camp. Be careful! DO NOT forget those chocks.

Don't ask me why, but, for every camper I've owned I've placed a little sign near the front of the frame reminding me to put those chocks down.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks so very much! We are getting the Oliver Elite Legacy II. We have been backpackers and tent campers mostly. Twice we hauled a pop up with our 76 Toyota FJ40. My husband is a farm boy so is used to hauling trailers. We also have moved several times with him towing a car. All these details about dealing with water, sewer, jacks, etc. is new to us. We appreciate all your feedback!

Linda

Hello just to add a few thoughts you should also use and have at pick up a water filter with the flex connection again at all walmarts and I always use a brass 45 degree angle but usually they have the 90 degree hose connection for on you water connection it makes it a lot easier to set up on any trailer. Remember to run water through it at the camp site first before connecting to the trailer to flush out the charcoal. The oliver also has a cable connection they do not supply a coax cable so I would have two 25 ft lengths usually one will do but we were just at Cherokee rally and another oliver had to run over a site to get a good connection and also needed a coupler to put the two lengths together and many people also get the slip connections on these to make it easier. I carry also several rags to wipe off my outside cables i.e. Power,coax,water hose before placing them away and use a couple totes in the cargo hold but probably get those after pick up and there is a walmart in Holenwald to hold these items for easier access. Just some ideas you will love and enjoy your Oliver and hope to see ya all on the road take care. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• Moderators

We carry an old milk crate in the back of the truck with assorted cutoffs of 2x6 and 2x8 for leveling, freshwater hose, filter, and Harbor Freight heavy chocks. (I know, someone is saying yuck, hose with all that? We screw the ends together after draining. It's clean.)

Many people carry a pressure regulator. If pressure is suspect, we just don't connect. And, we dry camp most of the time, so work from the tank, and 5 gallon containers.

The stinky slinky resides in all its glory all alone, in a bag, in the bumper compartment, where it can contaminate nothing else.

Other than what you think you'll really, really need to camp for whatever time it takes you to get home, keep the load light on the way in. You'll want bedding, a way to make coffee or tea, some dishes (maybe paper, maybe melmac...), a bit of silverware and a good knife, and pull out one small frypan and one small saucepan from your collection for starters. Then, add your clothes, some towels and toiletries. As you camp a bit more, you'll see what you really need. Stores are everywhere, including a nice Walmart in Hohenwald for just about any essential you forgot and need immediately

. Have fun with it.

And, congrats. You made a great decision when you decided to get an Oliver. Almost eight years now with ours, and it still looks and performs as it did when we got it. Awesome build and design, and awesome people.

Happy camping.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

For those of you that have recently picked up their Ollie:

Do you have any additional thoughts on this matter - things that you could have done without and/or things that would have made the pickup nicer?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I just got a flyer in the mail for Camping World's 50th Anniversary sale. Some things aren't much better than their normal "sale prices," but a number of items are 50% off. 8 x 16 patio mat in win/cream or navy /light blue is only $49.97. Our eight year old mat is giving up the ghost, so it may get a replacement next weekend. The sale is January 15-16, in the stores only, members only. If you're a member, you probably received the same flyer.

They're also running a buy one, get one free sale on certain items.

Not always the first place I shop, but if they have items I need on sale, CW has a far greater selection in its stores than Walmarts.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Bill,

Are you planning to stay in one of the rooms at Fall Hollow Campground your first night, or will you get there early enough to pickup the trailer right after arrival. They have 2 rooms they rent out, that work well, if you are not staying in the trailer. We stayed there a couple of times, and they gave us the run of the restaurant to heat our dinner or make coffee and breakfast in the morning. I know it's a B&B but I don't get not serving breakfast till 8am, Shoot, we are long gone by then. But, it is a neat place.

Time is getting closer, Bill

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63