Online Guides--Finding Campgrounds

donthompson

The two we rely on the most are Allstays Camp and RV and The Ultimate Campground Project. Wouldn't be without either, but on occasion will also use RecGovCamp if we know we need reservations on government campgrounds, i.e. Nat Parks etc.

Legacy Elite II #70

We use several but the two that I would hate to do without is www.rvparkreviews.com and "Allstays Pro". Allstays is free but there is a yearly charge for Allstays Pro, but it has so much information that we gladly pay it each year. Since we picked up our Ollie in Hohenwald April 2014, we have traveled over 37,000 miles - to Alaska and back to Florida Keys, then to Colorado and Utah and back to Florida. We have found these two websites to be invaluable during our travels. We have not used the one you mentioned, but we will take a look at that one as well.

• Moderators

http://www.USCAmpgrounds.info

13,000 public campgrounds - entire US and Canada

This is my go-to site for finding great camping locations. It has an interactive map to help find all public campgrounds from City, to County, to State or Province, to Federal with easily displayed information and access to what amenities are available, phone number, lat/long, reviews, campground website, directions, etc.

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

http://freecampsites.net

These are not all free, but usually only have a small fee. We did find out about the rest area on I70 in Goodland, KS that was free and had a very nice area away from the traffic area.

It's worth a look when looking for a one night layover on the way to somewhere else.

Stan

• Thanks 1

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

We used wikicamps extensively on a camping trip in Australia. It's a crowd-based app, runs without internet access if downloaded, and the Australian version is great. The US version has only recently been launched, so it's usefulness as of yet is not as great. Hopefully, it will catch on here as it did "down under."

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Sherry,

I took a look at Wikicamps (US) a couple of days ago and it really looks good. Presently there are tons of State, Federal and private campgrounds listed along with RV dump sites and points of interest. Even if it does not improve with the crowd based information sourcing, I believe that it is still worth the $.99 it costs for a life-time download.

For those people with satellite, it has a "satellite finder" function, along with clock, checklists and a compass.

In looking around the app I did find one "error" - a private campground that I have stayed at in Missouri (Lazy Days about a hour east of Columbia) showed that it was located in the middle of a little town. Well, this was because that is where they get the mail, but, it is not the actual location of the campground. So, I simply entered a comment to that effect which will (hopefully) help someone on down the road. These kind of things plus people adding boondocking sites should only make Wikicamps better.

Also, in the event that a person was using this app on a device that does not have "internal" GPS all that you have to do is place a "push-pin" near where you want to camp (or get information on dump-sites or other POI's) and tell the app to search near the push-pin.

It really does look to me like this thing is a winner!

Thanks for letting us know about it!

BIll

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Another "plug" for Wikicamps - a couple of days ago I tried adding a few campsites that I knew. Unfortunately, the app would crash each time I tried to do this. I emailed the company about the problem and they responded within three hours by asking a couple of questions regarding exactly what was happening. By the next morning I received an email telling me that the problem was taken care of and the Wikicamps app had been updated on the Google Playstore site. Indeed, now everything works.

Can't ask much more from a company.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 5 weeks later...