Clothing storage and cubbies

lindapshields

Hello, My idea for the cubbies above the bed is not working as I expected. What do you do with your clothes? Is that where you keep them? Maybe I need to just fold and stack shirts and pants? Or roll them up as I do in packing my suitcase? Do you have a suggestion for storage containers that fit in there to keep it less jumbled? Also what do you store in the sections under ad and seats where storage is allowed?

Thanks

Linda

Hi Linda. We just fold and stack our clothes in the overhead bins. I had thought bins might be helpful, but because of the curve I found the best way to utilize all space available was to just place clothing in the compartments.

The only thing we store under the seat in the dining area is extra blankets/bed linens.

We have a king bed so we have tons of storage in the aisle under the bed and we use storage bins to make access easier.

I think as you travel more in your Oliver, you'll find what works best for you.

~Marsha

Ed and Marsha

Legacy Elite II, Hull #85

Ford F150 Lariat

• Moderators

Linda,

Since it is still a month before I get my Ollie I can only comment on what I've done in the past and plan on doing with Twist.

Each summer for the past ten years I've traveled from North Carolina to either Colorado, Wyoming or Montana to fly fish for periods of from 6 to 15 weeks at a crack. I found that by rolling my cloths and then stacking the rolls in some basic order I am able to find the exact shirt, pair of shorts, pants, jacket, etc. quickly. From left to right I start with socks, underwear, short sleeve shirts, long sleeve shirts, shorts, pants, shells and sweatshirts, and finally jackets. I also hang a couple of slacks and better shirts just in case I want to do something "fancy" (I've only used these once in ten years though). Just by looking at the color of the rolled item in the stack I know exactly which article of clothing it is.

Certainly nothing fancy here but it works for me - hope it helps.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Topgun, I roll just about everything too. Seems to keep everything neater and less wrinkled. I don't carry an iron in the Oliver. :)

I also have some soft fabric bins from IKEA (Skubb, I think), for organizing the lockers. I've used them for clothing, and also for corralling boxes of cereal, crackers, chips, etc. in the big cupboards over the bed area. Since they flex, they fill most of the useable space. I've also found that Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Ross have lots of fabric bins in various sizes available now, and again during "back to school" days.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Rolling is a great idea. I used to loose roll my suits in a duffel bag when I travelled for business. In the Army we rolled our socks and underwear for inspections. Always neat and in order. We find that with each trip we take less and less. There may come a time when I miss an item but for now I am usually returning with something Not worn. Over packing is something to be conquered.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Rolling is a great idea. I used to loose roll my suits in a duffel bag when I travelled for business. In the Army we rolled our socks and underwear for inspections. Always neat and in order. We find that with each trip we take less and less. There may come a time when I miss an item but for now I am usually returning with something Not worn. Over packing is something to be conquered.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

As some of the others have suggested we also roll our clothes and stack in the bins above the bed. Old habits from Navy days for me. The closet up front however is used for more utility items, small hand vacuum, rags of sorts, owners manual and litany of things like that. Like Marsha we also have the king bed which allows for tons of storage in bins or what have you below the bed. Its almost more trouble than its worth to store things in the "basement" so we rarely use those spaces so far unless its stuff we know we will never need, which makes me wonder why its even along. :? But as a rule the clothing really doesn't get too jumbled as long as you stack & pack neatly and tight.

Bill (topgun2) next time you're out in Big Sky Country stop by for a visit. We live in the heart of trout fishing here in the Bozone as its affectionately called.

Legacy Elite II #70

We have been putting smaller items underware, socks, t-shirts etc into gallon size zip lock bags. They can even be compressed a little and sealed making then smaller. Bags can be taken out, cloths removed, and then compressed, resealed and put back in cabinet. It is working very well for us. As some of you know we traveled by motorcycle for many years and have become adept at packing light.

Grayson

Grayson and Ann Cook

Northwest CT and Mid Coast Maine

2016 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed FP

Toyota Tundra, Extra Cab, Long bed, 5.7 V8

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah