Four inch lift suspension and fifteen inch wheels

Hi,

My wife and I saw the Oliver Travel Trailers at the Sacramento RV show last weekend and were very impressed. We have a few questions that we hope members of this board can help us with. The first is that we would like to know from those who have opted for the four inch lift and/or the fifteen inch wheels why you chose those options and what the benefits and drawbacks have been of each option.

Thanks!

Steve

• Moderators

Hello, Astrocaster, and welcome to the Oliver Forum!

We added the lift kit and 15" wheels because we spend a lot of time in the country... meaning, we are very acquainted with potholes, washouts, and rough dirt & gravel roads. We are also planning a second trip to Alaska, where the side roads can be quite rough. The extra five or six inches give us extra clearance and peace of mind .... The cost to add was minimal, in my husband's opinion. Center of gravity is low anyway with the long, horizontal tanks mounted in the bottom, nestled onto the aluminum frame.

Downside, I guess, would be the additional height of the trailer, which isn't enough difference (by way far!) to interfere with normal overpasses, bridges, etc., or any of our tree branches in the yard, for that matter. And, we wouldn't have been able to fit the trailer in the garage in the original form... too much other stuff in there. 8-) Our Oliver has a nice little parking pad next to the house, instead.

I think a number of other forum members also added the kit and bigger tires. I'm sure we'll hear from some of them later on.

Hope this helps. Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

We opted for the 4" lift axle and the 15" tires for many of the same reasons that SeaDawg did. But find benefits in another area as well. Even in a dip or swag going into a Mountain Home Dulcimer shop in the Ozarks, that had many scrapes and gouges in the pavement, from other travel trailers, didn't come even close to scraping our rear bumper !

I almost missed seeing the turn and turned in quickly. We were into this trouble spot before we knew it. It seemed to have happened to quite a few others judging by all of the marks on the pavement. Yet, we just cruised smoothly through thanks to the lift and the tires. :D

• Like 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Welcome to the forum!

I have the lift kit but the 14" tires. Will be adding the 15" 8 ply tires n wheels and put the 14"ers on Earthdancers Casita soon. The 8 plys and aluminum wheels are overkill on the Oliver but look so cool...... Reason for lift kit, xtra shocks n soon 15s' is same as others; ground clearance.

Chuck on Earthdancers computer..... :oops:

• Moderators

Chuck brings up a good point, the standard shock absorbers can be supplimented wit an additiona set, making four shocks on our four inch lift axle. This increases stability in all kinds of situations. On our last trip West, we sure appreciated the extra stability when fighting a gusting 30 MPH quartering wind for a 12 hour day.

• Like 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Sorry, I've been offline... no internet or cell phone for a few days...

The extra shocks, lift kit, and 15" wheels are great.... I-40 west of Asheville in the right hand lane is pothole heaven.... no problem. Not to mention back country dirt roads... but at least on the dirt roads we're all driving slower and EXPECT issues...

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Here in the Texas Hill Country we have many dramatic dips in the roads that go through low water crossings of dry creeks. The gauges in these dips are to numerous to count already. I thought I'd better not add any more so I opted for the 15" Wheels, 4" lift, and upgraded 4-shock suspension. So far so good . . .

• Like 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Absolutely, definitely!! :P:P Thanks, Meanderthal

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 years later...
  • Moderator+

She may be sitting too far back in the coach. Remember, you need more weight in front of the axle than behind it to avoid fish-tailing. Tell her if she'll sit more forward (probably best on the crapper) it'll be a much smoother ride. But, depending on how much the old girl weighs, it could increase your tongue weight.

Hope this helps...

• Haha 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg