Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller

donthompson

I have a 2015 VW Touareg TDI and I don’t want to drill holes and attach a controller like the Prodigy P2 or P3. My research led me to this unusual brake controller. I've worked with Oliver and Jason Essary (who replaced Robert Partee) is ordering one and a technician at Oliver will install it on my Oliver Elite II which is nearing completion.

The RF has a trailer-mount power module unit. There’s a hand-held remote that plugs into the 12v receptacle in the vehicle. For those of us who tow with vehicles that don't have factory installed brake controllers, this is a nice option. It also has the advantage of allowing you to tow with more than one vehicle utilizing the trailer-mounted brake controller.

As with everything else, the people at Oliver have been very accommodating and quoted a very fair price for ordering and installing this unit.

My Oliver should be ready soon, but I'm delaying my trip from Iowa to pick it up until late March when I hope the weather will be better!

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

I hope it works for you, I know that it can be a real pain to wire any vehicle that doesn't have a plug and play connector under the dash. I just installed a P3 into my Ram and it took me about ten minutes using the Tekonsha adapter harness.

I admit that I would be more than a little concerned to have something as critical as your trailer brakes relying on an RF signal. Are there steps you can take to ensure that it stays working, other than the obvious ones like cleaning the pins on the seven pin connectors (both sets)?

In case you have not got it yet, here is the Owners Manual.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/HARDLINES/usermanual/04_5_15/B001P0ZA86._V305895774_.pdf

Good luck and please post updates on this controller.

BTW what is the current build time for an Ollie?

John Davies

Spokane WA USA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

Order to delivery was about 5 months for me--late August to late January. I delayed delivery until late March, however. Thanks for the additional info about the RF brake controller. Will keep forum members informed after I pick the trailer up in late March.

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderators

I believe Alicia's husband took a job in another town which is why she left. Robert moved to Hohenwald to raise his boys in a small town, family friendly atmosphere. It worked well for them, and the boys are off to college. I think his decision to depart involved his long term plans for his retirement years . . .

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

We still have our orignial prodigy, which we move from vehicle to vehicle as necessary. (All three of our vehicles have been set up for the prodigy, and we've towed at various times with each of them.)

I can see why you would want to use the new rf with your suv. The mounts are a bit unsightly, and I still bang my knee occasionally on the mounts in the Volvo and Silverado.

Some interesting commentary in reviews on etrailer:

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90250.html

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Sherry,

Thanks for the information. I was in CA for a couple of weeks and just saw your post. The link you included contains very helpful information that I plan to share with Jason.

Thanks again!

Don

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• 3 weeks later...

Jason and I successfully paired the RF handheld unit without too much fuss. It was very easy to work with Jason on this issue. When I arrived on Tuesday the brake controller was nicely mounted on the Oliver and ready to go. I had the adapter I purchased from E-Trailer to deal with the LED light issue. I've towed about 100 miles and so far, so good.

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• 2 weeks later...

No problems pairing the Prodigy RF and the brake controller worked very well. I've towed around 900 miles so far and I'm very satisfied with the brake controller.

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map