2016 Tundra Towing 23'6" Legacy Naked Towing

donbob3

I will pick up trailer May 5 and have the Anderson Hitch installed. If you tow with a Tundra with only the factory hitch, I

would appreciate your experience/comments. I have bad back and towed my Casita with F150 with Firestone Air Bag suspension with little problem. My Tundra is 2WD extended cab with built in brake controller and 5.7 V8.

• Moderator+

Is towing in the nude even legal? :roll::D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Steve there is always one in a group. We have a friend that towed with the Tundra same as yours but was a 4x4 and used the Anderson but also at times towed with out it or naked as you say. He had no problems with the Oliver and tows as nice as the casita since both of us use to have one previously just 2000 lbs heavier that you do feel on the steep grades. Lee might chim in here on this, he said he did get a little extra bounce and liked the sway advantage but towed like a dream tracking right behind the Tundra. The only thing I can think of that he did not like was the small gas tank wished he had the 35 instead of the 25 gallon tank. Hope this helps. Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Everyone here should know that I detest the Anderson hitch. Getting the thing hooked up just about ended my camping life. I have the one I bought in a box in my garage. After ditching the Anderson I had Firestone air bags installed with the on board compressor. Best money I have spent in a long time. My Avalanche is really a Suburban, which has coil rather than leaf springs so it would not be nearly as stiff in the rear as a real truck. The air bags work great allowing me to run level. The Ollie simply does not sway so that element does not need to be addressed. Of course if you choose to run at dangerously high speed you will get some sideways lift from the Movement of air over the smooth surface. Solution...drive slower.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

• 4 months later...
Of course if you choose to run at dangerously high speed you will get some sideways lift from the Movement of air over the smooth surface. Solution…drive slower.

Spoil sport.  Actually, I'm curious if you ever encountered any swaying and if so under what conditions/speed/etc.  Like you, I'm not crazy about these hitches and I'm curious what the limits are without one.

I have chose to not use the Anderson hitch, and after 20,000 miles, have not seen a need for it. The trailer is steady and stable, even when passed by trucks. So far so good.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Agree with Stan about how good the Ollie stability is.

Checked the VIN load capacity (from Oliver) and it’s 2140 pounds. Ollie GVW 7000lbs – 2140lbs = empty Ollie weighed in at 4860 pounds (assumed) at the factory.

Scale results at local landfill, no CAT results yet:

Ollie axles weighed while connected to previous TV scale results: 4520 pounds

4940 pounds Ollie weight, gear in camper with empty tanks, our Elite II has optional fiber granite counter tops, exterior LP gas connection, reading lights, thicker than standard memory foam mattresses, and Winegard ROADSTAR Omni-Directional Antenna (RS-3000) .

Ollie weight 4940lbs – 4520lbs axles weight = 420 pounds Tongue weight

We started towing during August 2016 with a 2016 4x4 5.7L Toyota SR5 Tundra with factory tow package not using WDH. Our Tundra weighs in at the local landfill scales at 6120 pounds with full 38 gallon fuel tank, two people on board, and 50 pounds of stuff, without travel trailer tongue weight added to Tundra. Been getting around 13MPG with the rig so far in the NC foothills.

The Dexter EZ flex was installed on the Ollie before we purchased the Tundra, so can't give a handling comparison before and after EZ flex upgrade with the Tundra.

This is the first time we have had a backup camera, and we really like it. It's easy to connect the ball to the Ollie hitch with only TV driver

• Thanks 1

LE2

Thanks for not making fun of my original post.  I have had no problems towing with my 2016 Tundra 2wd without the Anderson hitch.  No sway problems even on 2 lane roads. The biggest tradeoff is the slight tendency to bounce (rear in). Scale weight 4740, slightly heavier now.

DonBob3,

Installed Firestone rear differential air bags on one TV and Timbren rear suspension upgrade on another TV.  I prefer Firestone air bags. Ran 30PSI in the air bags while towing another camper and 5PSI when not towing.

Both reduced bounce, but the Timbren system resulted in a rougher ride while towing for me.

My 2016 SR5 5.7L 4x4 Tundra has to have a WDH when towing over 5000 pounds. My Ollie total weight came in under 5000 pounds ready to camp with empty tanks, been towing without WDH with the Tundra.

Firestone Airbag installation on a 2003 Toyota Tacoma rear differential:

Timbren suspension upgrade on a 2013 Nissan Frontier rear differential:

LE2

Anderson hitch looks to be terrible complex, even in their own postings.  I have to turn off functions in my truck to use it?  Not at all sure I want to go that route! I am reading here that it is ok to tow naked, no weight distribution, and no airbags. Is that right?  From a 2016 F150, would I need a straight bar?  rise?  certainly not a drop?  I hope to hook up within the next ten days or so.

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

If you're getting an Elite II, then most likely you'll be over 5,000 lbs which is the usual limit that will be listed on your receiver.  So I'm sure that Ford, Oliver and your insurance company would tell you to use a WD hitch.  That said, that's surely a very conservative number.  Personally, I'd like to keep my trailer below 5,000 lbs regardless, but that's going to be difficult.

I don't doubt that the trailer will handle better with a WD hitch under normal circumstances.  My concern with these things has always been that they will mask the signs of an imbalance until it's too late to correct; i.e., they reduce the gap between the trailer feeling a bit iffy and being on its roof.  Most people whose trailers go wonky always say that it felt perfectly fine up til then.  So to me it's sort of like setting up your car so that it corners a bit better but instead of lightly under steering it now has snap oversteer.  A reasonable person would never do that.  I just feel that if you have a trailer that *requires* a WD hitch, then that trailer probably shouldn't be on the road.

• Thanks 1

I AM getting an Elite II.  Still, while I see no stamp or engraving on the receivor, the truck is rated by Ford to pull 10,700 pounds.  Seems the receiver would at least match that capability.

I like the idea of the Firestone airbag, but doubt I will have time for it before towing.

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

As Overland said, a trailer that requires a WDH shouldn't be on the road, I completely agree with him.

While I bought the trailer without the WDH (used) I towed it home 700 miles with just the ball and had no problems, never towed anything before, except a little utility trailer to dump.

I installed the Andersen myself, not because the trailer needed it, but because after all the research, I found that after 5 to 10 minutes extra per hookup (if that long) the extra edge it is capable of providing when things go south quickly outweigh the minor inconvenience at hookup and now that I'm used to it, it isn't really anymore.

As Buzzy pointed out, with the hitch stamp photo, if you're driving an F150 then pretty much every one is going to max out at 5000 lbs without WDH, unless spec'd out during build with higher class. This is a result of the hitch assembly and not the truck, if you don't want to be limited by this number because of weight ability, you can always replace it with a class V hitch. That's what I did on my GMC 1500, for a different reason though. You can get a Curt on Amazon for about $150 or less and it took about 1.5 hrs to change out.

Keep in mind that your entire system is only good as it's weakest link.

Truck GVW

Axle GVW

Hitch GVW (WDH or not)

Tire load rating and air pressure

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• 3 weeks later...

The Tundra 5.7L is very capable and reliable tow vehicle.  I have towed heavier trailers... but did not like the cargo capacity being at or exceeded once the trailer was loaded.

Just something to mention.  When I went from the smaller 2006 Tundra to a 2012 Tundra there was one small item not mentioned.  The tail lights on the 2012 Tundra 'bulge out' and with the 'chain Equalizer' hitch at a sharp angle would make contact with the side of the trailer.  At least with the Airstream.  Learned the 'hard way', once and that was once too many.

Even the tail gate can be an issue.  I needed to rotate the Airstream hitch jack control box on top, so the post 2006 Tundra tail gate would clear.  This may not be the case with an Oliver... but this may have been discussed on the Forum.

A friend had an Arctic Fox 25 foot and discovered that the 2012 Tundra tail light broke through his fiber glass shell on a tight turn.  When I told him about my experience... he admitted to his at the same time.  We both felt... dumb, but his 2000 Tundra was his previous tow vehicle.

Newer Tundra's, I do not know which year, changed to tail lights that did not bulge out.  Someone may know.  An Oliver may not be affected depending on the brand of hitch, but keep this in mind.  My current Equalizer Hitch with the 1000# sway bars clear, with room to spare towing with the F350.  Whew....

DSCN2893.thumb.jpg.90bd795d6449a657bf3ae7f375921fbb.jpg

The tail lights on the 2012 Tundra ‘bulge out’ and with the ‘chain Equalizer’ hitch at a sharp angle would make contact with the side of the trailer.

I don't know what it is with the bug eye headlights and taillights on Toyotas these days.  They're just asking to get busted up and frankly, who thinks that's a good look anyway?

One of the advantages of an Ollie over many other brands, including Airstream, is the long tongue.  This allow sharp turns and allows you to open the tailgate while still coupled.  The long tongue, along with properly places batteries and tanks, keeps the tongue weight down too.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Just some For Your Information...

The turning radius of the larger 2007 to current 5.7L Tundra pickups is TIGHTER, than the smaller 4.7L Tundra.  You would think that the smaller Tundra would be able to make tighter turns, but even I was surprised that the larger Tundra was a big improvement!

Better brakes, more power, better cargo capacity, heavier hardware... just a wonderful tow vehicle and local driver.  It uses a 2" receiver.  The F250 / F350  have the 2 1/2" receiver with the 'sloppy sleeve reducer to adapt a 2".  The finish on the Tundra is superior to the Ford, at least to my 2016 F350.  The doors of the Tundra seal out more dust.  The Tundra's tail gate  has a tighter fit, so not sucking dust into the back of the bed when you have a topper.

Tundra resale for used vehicles is excellent.  I would expect the Oliver trailer hooked up to a post 2006 Tundra to be an excellent combination.  The weight at the hitch of the Oliver is less than a similar sized Airstream, from what I see on specifications.

I would expect the Oliver trailer hooked up to a post 2006 Tundra to be an excellent combination. The weight at the hitch of the Oliver is less than a similar sized Airstream, from what I see on specifications.

Our 2016 Tundra is surprising how sharp it turns. Normally I take the trailer I'm towing to a big parking lot and make 180 turns with steering to the stop with Debbie watching the clearance. Have not done this with the Tundra/Ollie rig, yet. Have the Ollie hitch set at the shortest length. The Tundra/Elite II combo is a sweet towing rig on the road.  I like the tow mode and how well engine braking works down grades in the mountains and the tranny stays in a gear nicely going up mountain grades, too.

180 turn in the back yard with tailgate up:

Edit: Like the Tundra rear camera, too:

LE2