Kitchen Window?

Overland

Wondering if anyone has ever asked Oliver about the possibility of adding a window over the kitchen counter? Seems like it would fit. I'm thinking it would make for a nice pass through when one of us is grilling and the other is inside using the cooktop, and also it might help vent the cooktop area. You could even put a small fan in the window maybe to help send the cooking odors outside.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I've used kitchen windows in rented rvs, and I wouldn't want one in my Oliver. The fan to my back set on exhaust does a great job of exhausting fumes. The window, if open, in rentals messed with the gas flames.

I used that big expanse of white behind the cooktop for a variety of hooks and shelves to store spices, cooking accessories, and dishes.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, though.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I brought this idea up way back when we bought ours, and Robert shot it down. I still think it's a good idea. Might be worthwhile to revisit the idea again with the folks at Oliver.

Stan

• Like 1

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• 5 years later...
On 4/10/2016 at 3:22 PM, Overland said:

Wondering if anyone has ever asked Oliver about the possibility of adding a window over the kitchen counter? Seems like it would fit. I'm thinking it would make for a nice pass through when one of us is grilling and the other is inside using the cooktop, and also it might help vent the cooktop area. You could even put a small fan in the window maybe to help send the cooking odors outside.

I'm reviving this older thread as one of things that was on my wish/mod list for my Casita was a kitchen window!  I know a few Casita'ns who've tackled this mod with sliding windows purchased from Scamp or Hehr direct.   In a recent post someone used a boat hull port window!    It's certainly above my skill and pay grade but I love my home kitchen window and would welcome a campsite view from my sink.  I also like the idea of passing something outside to cook with.   Anyone since this thread was created tackle this or is willing to?  Suggestions welcome!

window2.jpg

• Like 2

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderators

I'll repeat that my experience with kitchen windows in rentals and delivery rvs is poor.  

In the Elite (like mine) , I would never consider it. In the II, you could stick a port, hatch, or window above the sink, I guess.

Correctly placed, it could be ok. 

If you all want it, keep asking. Oliver responds to multiple requests,  eventually.

On the boat, we have an upward opening hatch above the sink, opening to the cockpit.  I call it the pass thru window.

I set up a big trash bag in the sink, so people don't have to go up and down the  ladder/stairs, just to get to the trash can,  and don't get seasick.

They can toss trash into the sink  It's also big enough to pass dinner plates, and then some , from the stalwart cook (who doesn't get seasick, usually me, or my friend Herm), to those above.

That dinky slider in the photo would accommodate a coffee cup, or a ketchup bottle,  imo.

You might gain a slight view. Side views are often another canper/site  .

You would get some light. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I still contend this mod would be great in that space.  I'd love to look outside at my site setup while doing dishes, not necessarily a priority for a pass-thru.   Maybe grow some herbs on the sill!  I've lived in my Casita for up to five months while managong a NF campground so seeing my camper neighbors is fine with me!

• Like 2

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderators

With the II, which has a bigger kitchen, you could  probably have a window above the sink that would look good on the outside, too. You have a much bigger blank wall expanse than our smaller Elite, and my comments really focus on that. 

I wonder if you asked service if they could make that modification for you? 

I think rvia would require a metal (non-flammable) shade with a window that close to the stove, so the window treatments wouldn't match, though.

Many of the features and options now available from Oliver have come from repeated requests, or owner modifications. It never hurts to ask.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4