Oliver vs Casita

dalet5

Hello All,

Dale here and looking for a little help with an upcoming decision.

I am about to purchase a travel trailer and a vehicle to tow it with.

I was pretty sold on a Casita 17 footer but after sitting in one yesterday not so sure it is large enough.

I had also decided that a 2016 Tacoma would be adequate to tow it with.

I have been looking at the Olivers but was a little concerned with the prices.

Now I am back to trying to figure out if a Tacoma would be able to pull either of the two Oliver models.

Any help would be appreciated and welcomed....

thanx,

dale

This is another opinion based decision so here is mine. Towing the casita which we had a 17 LD for 4 years and yes that would be fine to pull it we did with the F150 5.0 and did not know it was back there. We have some friends who bought a 19 Escape and had a Tacoma and sold it to get the Tundra, our F150 towed the Oliver very well but was weak in the mountains with the 5.0 the 5.7 would have been a much better decision for the weight. Also I would really read about tow weights they are half of what is shown without the WDH. Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Jona,

What is your mileage with the diesel?

I have been looking at thre Ram diesel. Did you research that truck.

Also I am still intrigued with the Mercedes Sprinter for tow vehicle.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

We had originally considered a Dodge, however, upon reading blogs regarding issues with the computers and witnessing it first hand in Death Valley, along with posts regarding the "Dodge death wobble", we began looking at the Chevy. Also, Dodges supposedly have issues with the transmissions. When we were way out in the middle of nowhere in Death Valley at the crater, there were two new Dodge owners. One of the trucks wouldn't start due to a computer error. This was the second time he had an issue with the computer. Once at 5k miles, this second time was at 10k miles. Fortunately, after disconnecting the battery, the computer reset and the truck started. The other owner said he always carries a diagnostic device. Knowing the Chevy diesel is also reliable, along with a superior transmission, we decided to go with the Chevy Silverdo 2500 diesel. Lee also ended up buying the Chevy diesel and recently towed the Oliver on a trip to Pigeion Forge and got around 14.5 mpg with rpm's around 1500. We were both told the mpg's get better as it breaks in. He was getting between 8-12 mpg's with his Tundra 5.7 and I was getting around 10-14 with my Ford F-150 5.0.

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Gary,

Thank you for your opinion.

Would you explain what you meant by the statement "I would really read about tow weights they are half of what is shown without the WDH" Especially what is WDH.

If I look at the specs Oliver gives an indication of what the towing weight would be, do you know if they are accurate?

Toyota states the towing capacity of the 2016 v6 with towing package is over 6k lbs which seems to be plenty for the smaller Oliver.

thanx,

dale

• Moderators

Dale,

My 2008 Tacoma has a V6 4.0L with towing package and it has pulled The Wonder Egg (single axle Ollie) 94,000 miles so far. I've crossed the Rocky Mountains 5 times without an issue. I tow it the way the manual calls for, in 4th gear. The Taco has 197,000 miles on it and is still going strong.

The 2016 Tacoma has a V6 with a slightly smaller engine which produces more HP and torque than my 2008.

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Dale as always the Devil is in the details. You said you looked at the Casita 17 which we had one was probably around 2800 lbs give or take. We pulled that with the f150 5.0 no problems didn't know it was back there. The Oliver and you said you wanted something bigger which is probably the Elite II 23 ft. ours dry at pick up was 4820. That is 2000 lbs heavier ( a Ton ) which I did notice in the Hills and Mountains and not even in the West where you climb to over 10,000 Feet through a passage. I have spoken to others who do just fine, if I need to push my RPM's high or stress my transmission and overheat it not the way I wish to go.

Sorry for the" WDH" that is Weight Distribution Hitch, you say your truck says it can tow 6,000 lbs You could call Toyota or look at the chart and that figure is probably using a WDH so with out it your towing illegally and should just about only tow a Casita without one at only 3000 lbs loaded. They usually put the small print at the end of the chart, Bottom of the chart and I have read others that have posted on the forums and I think it was a Toyota that read it right on the Hitch frame under the rear of their truck. Usually somewhere on the charts it will say Tow Weights shown are with a WDH or Tow weights shown are half of what shown if not using a WDH.

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

Dale,

You might want to read this article on both the elite legacy 2 and the Tacoma.

http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-trailer-n ... ers-twist/

Also, the best advice I ever saw on a forum regarding towing capacity was....

Download the owners manual for the truck you are going to tow with and get the information about capacity from there.

All manuals are available on line.

If you are considering the Tacoma, i would download the manual for that truck and read the section on towing very carefully, including all that small fine print that footnotes always seem to come in.

We are expecting delivery on an F-150 to pull the legacy elite 2. In the manual it says "Do not exceed trailer weight of 5,000 lbs. when towing with bumper only" This is one of the reasons we are getting the Anderson WDH.

Anderson' s website has a lot of good info on this hitch and the Oliver site has a picture on the Options page. They can sell and install it.

Best of Luck

Scotty

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators

Dale,

If you are looking at a new Tacoma, the article in this month's Trailer Life Magazine has a pretty good write up of a 2016 Tacoma pulling a big Oliver.

I have a 2nd Gen Tacoma to pull my big Oliver. It has 90K miles on it so it is barely broken in. I do have the factory supercharger which bumps HP over 300 and torque over 320. I pick up in about a month and will post my towing experiences on our two week trip home.

Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Looking under my Tacoma's Class IV hitch, I see a statement that says to refer to the owner manual for towing capacities and procedures. The manual "recommends" a WDH . It also says to not exceed any weights listed of the total trailer weight, gross vehicle weight, gross axle weight, and trailer tongue load. In lieu of a WDH, I use a Timbren suspension assist system which keeps the truck level while towing.

Here's The Wonder Egg going down the road in Virginia a couple days ago with a level trailer and level truck.

d85fwc33ovfbuzl2x69flbwutakl3kj7.jpg

For towing capacity, it doesn't say anything about a reduced capacity without a WDH, only without factory towing package:

Towing capacity without a factory installed is only 3500 lbs.

Towing capacity with a factory installed towing package is 6500 lbs.

It also says that if towing more than 2000lbs, it is necessary to use a sway control device. In my experience of towing The Wonder Egg through all sorts of driving conditions, heavy truck traffic, wind, and a couple radical maneuvers, I have yet to experience any swaying of the trailer whatsoever. I think that may have something to do with the unusually well designed suspension of leaf springs combined with four shock absorbers.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

I copied this from a Ford 2015 RV and Trailer Towing Guide F150 towing Chart online see (2) at the bottom, this info was not in the Towing chart but was placed outside of it and just after the Boxed towing capacity chart for the vehicle. This was the same place I found it on my previous 2011 F150 I had as well. This is a good conversation on the subject I just want the awareness to this possibility could pertain to your vehicle choice.

(4) Requires Heavy-Duty Payload Package. (5) Includes 17" tires and wheels. (6) Includes 18" tires and wheels. (7) Requires Max Trailer Tow Package.

Notes: • Do not exceed trailer weight of 5,000 lbs. when towing with bumper only.

• Trailer tongue load weight should be 10-15% of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue load weight and weight

of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and cargo cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

16 REVISEd 05.18.15

(2) Maximum loaded trailer weight requires weight-distributing hitch. See page 28 for additional information.

(3) Requires 2.7L Ec

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

All,

Of all the blogs that I have become involved in this one is the best.

The information has been both helpful and pertinent to my original question.

I will take all suggestion (read the fine print) when making a final decision.

I am leaning toward the Tacoma at this time.

TBD on the big or little Oliver...

Many thanks,

dale

• Moderators

Dale,

The Casita Spirit Deluxe and Oliver Legacy Elite are surprisingly similar in the living space size. But there are major differences that tend to give the Oliver a larger feeling, psychologically. First of all the differences in the walls, carpet covered or smooth glistening white fiberglass (as you look at the ceiling, you see a reflection of the cabin and it feels like extra depth). Next, the Casita's solid partition next to the bed vs the Oliver's stainless steel pole/cushion back support. Lastly the Casita's woodlike door to the bathroom vs the Oliver's full length mirror. All of these combine to give the Oliver a feeling of being bigger on the inside than the Casita.

One space that really is larger in the Oliver is in the size of the shower. Oliver brought the wall of the shower further into the living space. It makes for a slightly smaller gap between the corner of the shower and the corner of the refrigerator. They put the space where it really counts!

I spent six and a half months straight living in my Legacy Elite last year and never once felt clostrophobic.

Have fun making your decision.

Pete

Just like I started my first reply to this thread was this is a Opinion filled subject. But I can say Pete is one of the best cooks and Flute players I have ever meet and my wife loved his secret Ice Cream dish,so happy trails and till we meet again, ask questions and then ask them again it is always better to be an informed participant . Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

• Moderators

Gary, agree 100%. Pete serves up a great meal and follows with some wonderful flute. I still don't understand how the secret ice cream tasted so good, but it did!

The Oliver information on this forum has been invaluable to us as we get ready to pick up our trailer.

Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS