New Factory Options

• Moderators

I guess I need to check the Oliver web site more often.....

I checked it this morning and noticed some new options being offered. A couple of them got my attention. One was a tankless hot water option and the other was a surge protector. I emailed Anita to see if I could add the surge protector (we pick up on May 10). It looked a lot like what Steve Landrum installed in the Outlaw Oliver and seems like a better solution than one that plugs into the camp ground outlet outside. Another reason to like Oliver - they are always improving and enhancing!

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Great to hear they've decided to add the instantaneous water heater to the options list.

We had one installed last fall, but haven't done much camping since to report back on its efficiency. Our Oliver is languishing on the side of the house, waiting for spring....

I will say that the Oliver install was, as expected, clean and neat. The heaters are designed as a direct replacement for the cavity occupied by the larger tank heaters. Dustin and his crew did a great job on the retrofit on our 2008 Legacy.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Mike and Carol,

I got the surge protector on Twist at delivery. Since it is directly wired into Twist I do not even notice it and no longer worry or have to test before I plug in at campsites. - this really is a good thing particularly if it is raining or dark and I know that the relatively expensive electronic equipment inside Twist is protected.

However, on the downside, there is a panel that constantly gives a readout on the status of the surge protector and the electricity that is coming into the Ollie. Unfortunately, this panel is located under the street side bed. Obviously, this means that in order to see what the panel is telling you, one has to list that bed, lift the hatch cover, and then read the code that the panel is showing. I prepared a card that indicates the "fault codes" with relatively large type (so I didn't need my glasses and/or so it was easy to read in low light) and taped it next to that panel. However, in the event of the surge protector having to do its "real" job, I still have to lift that bed and hatch to figure out what is going on. In time, if I ever figure out a better place to put that panel, I'll simply move it. But, for now, it is OK where it is.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Robert had mentioned the Truma tankless hot when we took our tour earlier this year. It looks like a really nice unit and it has a circulator so you can have near instant hot at all the taps.

One other thing he told us that they were looking at was a switch to flush, top-hinged windows. Perhaps we'll see that when they switch over to the 2017 models.

• Moderators

I went to the website for the first time in a long time. Someone is doing a great job updating the website. Looks the best it's ever looked, and more great info than ever, too.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The composting toilet option isn't listed under our Standard Options. It is a special request option that we do not inventory. Anyone interested can inquire through the sales office.

Here is a link to the composting toilet we use when requested : http://natureshead.net/

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

• Moderators

Not surprising that Oliver is looking at the Nature's Head. Nature's Head seems to be the leader in rv and tiny house blogs and sites, for a number of reasons (size, durability, ease of use, reliability, customer service, cleanability, minimal water use). I could possibly see replacing our system with a Nature's Head someday. I think one of the biggest advantages of the composting toilets is the minimal water consumption.

I've also looked at incinerating toilets for our (someday/hope to build) self-sustaining cabin in the woods. I've never used one, but a friend of mine from Sweden has used them in remote sites where the usual septic and sewer systems are impossible to build, and she is a big believer. The ones that I've seen so far, however, look too large for a compact RV bathroom. The thought of emptying only a small tray of ash once in awhile from the incinerating toilet, instead of deploying the stinky slinky hose in our system, or emptying compost bin and liquid waste bottle in the case of a Nature's Head, is pretty appealing, though. For an RV, probably have to wait for a newer, smaller incinerator.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4