Sprinter van tow vehicle

trumpetguy

I am thinking about replacing my truck with a Mercedes Sprinter diesel van. My idea is to buy a cargo van and set it up as a living room. A place to kick back and watch some TV or a movie and also have a place for four people to visit or have a meal. The idea would be to sleep , cook, and eat in the Ollie and relax in the van. I will do the work myself...insulation, carpet, seats, etc. Have a roof air installed and maybe a composting head.

Do the experts have a read on towing with a van? The specs state 5000 pounds so the Ollie wil be a tad over.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

• Moderators

That's an interesting idea. Actually, after camping in NZ and Australia in camper vans, Paul and I have discussed the idea of converting a 4 x 4 diesel van to a (very basic) camper van, towing our beloved Oliver, and taking the van only to more remote places where we might only overnight, but have some minimal creature comforts. The camper van tow vehicle could allow us to take additional people on camping trips, as more than two and a very small child isn't really practical in our 17.

I think at least some of the 3500 series vans have tow capacities in excess of 7000 pounds. Perhaps you'd want to look at those?

We've not moved past the "wouldn't it be nice" and chatting stage, as the Dodge 4 x 4 truck does all we need, and then some as a tow vehicle, and at only 8 years old, we're not thinking about replacing it any time soon.... We don't often have riders, and they tent if we do.

Last year's five+ weeks in a basic camper van in southern Australia was amazing. One of our best camping trips ever. The rented Toyota HiAce camper van was an intrepid vehicle when skillfully and carefully driven on the left hand side by my husband, and it's definitely not in the class of the Mercedes sprinter you're thinking about. Throughout the trip, we kept thinking about what we could tow with an American van conversion, and how we could easily accommodate our adult daughter with the van and trailer combo.

Certainly a worthwhile exploration. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry,

Thanks for the affirmation. There is a couple on the Casita forum who have done this with a Sprinter. They call it the Red Dragon.

As previously mentioned my concept is a separate living/entertaining space. We frequently camp with another couple and it is humbling when we have to use their 18 foot R Pod for dining bcause it has a dinette that seats four comfortably. So a simple arrangement of four chairs, table, and composting toilet will suffice. I am thinking of a rear bulkhead with access from the back doors on which I will mount storage shelves...for all the essentials I carry. The other side of this bulkhead wall could hold a flat screen TV and some good speakers.

I will check out the 3500 model for extra towing capacity. I would look for a low mileage used one.

We are planning our Summer trip to Ashevile. Maybe we will be able to visit you this season. August/Sepr.

David

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel