shower floor

topgun2

• Moderators

I thought that there were a couple of "problems" with the floor in the bath. First, given that it is white, it will eventually get dirty from simple foot traffic and I'm guessing that over time this will be harder and harder to keep clean. Second, for those trips in the middle of the night, the floor is a bit cold on the toes. And, third, even if the floor is "dried" after a shower there is still a bit of moisture that lingers for awhile.

So, with a piece of scrap plywood and left over carpet, a new removable floor was constructed. Note that the side nearest the sink has a slight curve to it and I cut out the area around the drain. I also bought eight 3/4 inch vinyl feet to attach to the bottom so that air can circulate beneath the removable floor to insure complete drying. When cutting the plywood make sure that you leave enough room for the thickness of the carpet around the edges. The carpet can simply be stapled to the bottom of the plywood and then using a hot melt glue gun, the edges of the carpet can be sealed so that they do not ravel.

Shower Floor

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill, looks good, nice job. When you use the shower, will you take the carpet out? I was thinking of using some sort of floor mat that had holes in for drainage, but then again I will need to get the shower hose fixed first.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

Very nice looking. Let us know how it works out for you. What thickness plywood did you use? 1/2 inch?

I just use a cotton bath mat on the floor, which I can remove and wash.

I've seen other use the interlocking foam blocks, which , at least in theory, can be left in place while showering. Neither reduce the head clearance in the bath, which may not be much of a problem in the newer trailers. Ours is at least six foot in the older 17s, I think.

Very professional look.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We purchased four pieces of DriDek to place on the shower floor, cutting around the drain and the curve. I then purchased a regular bath rug which, when folded in half just sits on top of the DriDek. Keeps the dirt out of the shower pan, the rug can be shaken out and thrown in the wash when it gets dirty and also keeps our feet warm. The rug just gets taken out and placed on the floor outside the bathroom door when showering.

k5cnp3nvstv7i90ntahy2ivj1rffdyln.jpg

t0k0eelpb287l31csmur9cwon76lg1rz.jpg

Ed and Marsha

Legacy Elite II, Hull #85

Ford F150 Lariat

• Moderators

Yes, I will have to take the carpet out when I use the shower - just thought that I'd set it right by the door. The piece of scrap plywood I had actually measured right at 5/8 inch. The height in that area is compromised, particularly so since I'm right at 6 feet tall. But, getting to the toilet is not a problem and using the sink does not seem to be a problem with regards to height. I did test the "foam" flooring, but I'd also have to take that out when showering (mainly due to little drainage underneath) and it didn't feel as good on the toes. I also briefly used a carpet directly on the shower floor. This is certainly a simpler approach, allows for washing and/or "shaking out" and does not impact the height issues. Unfortunately I do not like the carpets that have the latex backing and others that I tried had a tendency to slip when stepping over the threshold in or out of the bath area.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I just knew that someone was going to ask for those measurements - sorry, but I don't remember nor did I write them down. However, I do remember that the cut-out for the drain was 4 x 4 inches. And I remember that the indentation for the curved wall beneath the sink was smaller than I had expected. Also, I forgot to allow for the thickness of the carpet on the first round of cuts. The idea of the dritek is a good one except for the fact that I would have to buy the dritek and the scrap plywood and carpet were "free". I'm guessing that the dritek would do a good job of keeping the carpet from slipping. However, due to height restrictions I'm guessing that I would have had to remove the dritek when showering.

Bill

We have four squares of white dri dek in ours that we used in the Casita previously. I was concerned about keeping the white clean, but you would never know that it is four years old. I do scrub it with some Comet between trips. We purchased it at West Marine. I also use a rubber backed rug over top to keep dirt out in between showers. I even found one at IKEA that fit perfectly. Always keep one extra in the closet in case we forget to "pull the handle" in the bathroom when we first set up.

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• Moderators

Topgun says - "I thought that there were a couple of "problems" with the floor in the bath. First, given that it is white, it will eventually get dirty from simple foot traffic and I'm guessing that over time this will be harder and harder to keep clean. Second, for those trips in the middle of the night, the floor is a bit cold on the toes. And, third, even if the floor is "dried" after a shower there is still a bit of moisture that lingers for awhile."

1- The Wonder Egg's shower floor is as white as it was on delivery day after 93.000 miles and over a thousand showers. (2x per day - Quit laughing Scubarx!).

2- I leave the shower door open in the night so the temp is the same as the main cabin, = no frozen toes in the winter. (You new folks with ducted air to the bathroom wouldn't understand)

3- After the walls and floor have thoroughly been wiped down with a microfiber cloth, I open the bathroom window, turn on the bathroom fan, and close the door for ten to fifteen minutes. The bath is totally dry after that.

No mesh/mat/rug thingy for me, I'm doing just fine, thank you very much. 8-)

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

I'm with Pete.

The shower floor is great. Only the caulk can require maintenance here in Florida... well, everything requires extra work here.

Cotton bath mat during the day and night. Remove when showering. Bath mats clean easily in the washer. Wipe down the shower floor with your choice of mild spray cleanser and a rag, and all looks new....

8 years ago and change, still looks new.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.