Screen Door bar

topgun2

• Moderators

I know that most have already seen this mod, but, here it is on Twist. The only change that I made to the instructions that were included with the bar was to go to one size smaller drill bit. After drilling a "test" hole I thought that the bit in the instructions was a little too large. This caused a better chance of stripping the screws since they are placed into the very thin aluminum of the screen door (I believe that it was suggested to use a 1/8 inch bit but I used a 7/64). The total time for the install was less than 15 minutes and since it was a windy day today I got the chance to test it out right away - it works! On the down side, I can see the possibility of someone using this bar for support when getting in or out of the camper. Neither the bar nor the screen door are really designed to hold virtually any weight. Therefore, remind people to still use the grab handles on the other side of the door.

Bill

3wtxyxf7983ovdfr7g1cbp4z6lgdte2n.jpg

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Screen Door Mod, is that something that you got from Oliver?, have not seen anything like that before. I can see that would be handy closing the screen door.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

I've not seen this either, and I'm a little confused. Where is the sliding panel over the latch on the screen door, and what is the little clear circular object over the previous latch.?

I like the bar. The little latch is tough to work with two full hands. Is there a roller that replaces the latch?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

This is the first (and so far only) mod we've done in our Oliver. The bar is a nice assist in closing the door.

Looks like the sliding panel and round latch are still there, just difficult to see.

Ed and Marsha

Legacy Elite II, Hull #85

Ford F150 Lariat

• Moderators

The only thing that I changed on the "stock" screen door was the addition of the silver and black bar located above the normal screen door latch. Yes, the sliding clear plastic panel is still there but is very difficult to see in that picture. With regards to the "round thing" just above the black screen door latch - this is a relatively new addition to most of the RV screen doors that I've seen. By simply pushing this round object down, it pushes the black screen door latch down to open the screen door. Thus, it saves one from having to slide open the clear panel first before gaining access to the black screen door latch. I think that these can be ordered separately to upgrade an existing screen door and would simply replace the entire sliding panel.

The bar that I installed really helps on windy days giving you something to hold on to while you open the screen door so that the screen door does not "fly" open and bang into whatever it hits first. The bar also helps with closing the screen door when entering the camper.

As with a fair amount of things these days, I bought mine on Amazon. But, they are also available at Camping World and a number of other RV outlets.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"