COULD A MACERATOR BE IN YOUR FUTURE ?

A macerator can be a wonderful thing when the dump station is too far away/ closed for the season/ too crowded/ too expensive/ too much of a PITA to hook up for.

But it is not as good as a cassette system ... but you can't get one in an Ollie, so a Macerator is as good as it gets. It still requires handling a stinky fecal hose. It's just smaller and it will pump uphill.

John Davies

Spokane WA USA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We've used cassettes in rentals in other countries. Not very glam. I'd prefer the "stinky slinky," in most circumstances.

Macerators are great, until they're not. (when they are plugged, and need rebuilding.)

We're on our second macerator. When it dies, we'll decide if we replace it, or just revert to the slinky stinky and call it done.

FWIW, We don't usually have to "pump uphill."

Sherry

"

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Buzzy, the one in your link is the one that we use. We ordered it from a internet discount house with the plastic hard case. The hard case has proven to be a good choice when it comes time to disinfect everything. Never have had to use the spare "o" ring that came with it. The push button has never been used because we hook a rechargeable battery pack to it and switch it on and off with the jumper packs power switch.

Our 5/8' canvas looking flat, reel up hose has been quite handy flushes out well and stores in it's easily disinfected case/reel.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

My power source for the macerator is an automobile jump start rechargeable battery pack. Here is a photo. We have had it so long that it doesn't hold it's charge as long as it should. It is time to replace it. I just clamp the color coded cables to the like in color wires on the macerator.

lqzp10m1geke8oc5ik6s8a9p47dqx7s9.jpg.c8d97c9afdf422f0023d23c240ac19db.jpg

We use a 5/8" hose similar to this for simple storage and dis infecting.

iol0akr6rlhtpfd10icg0oopetz2lcgt.jpg.3e1e2350320faa347a6f27c5cdc194a6.jpg

Storing and cleaning that corrugated hose might be more difficult ?

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

That flat hose gets conflicting reviews,

https://smile.amazon.com/American-Speciality-RT50-Handi-Hose-Reel/dp/B009IJQ8HS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466132873&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=American+Specialty+Flat+Handi-Hose+%26+Reel+5%2F8+%22+x+50+%27

Is there a better type, perhaps a commercial 1" waste water discharge hose? Can these be found with standard garden hose fittings?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660986_200660986

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On Amazon, it appears some RVers are using the following hose and adapter with their Flojet 18555 macerator. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HRMXBI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3ICKSMK0KS06Z&coliid=IJV9CBHRXXMXQ SNIP 

That PVC hose will take up a lot more storage room than a flat hose, if that matters to you. It does look very well made but it is WAY too short by itself. I feel that 50 ft is the minimum you should have, longer is better, or have the ability to easily join shorter lengths.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I think that it would but the flo jet motor draws a bit of current.

We use our jumper pack for a lot of different things. Like running our 12 volt impact wrench for changing a flat tire. The jumper pack is charged by 110 volts from our inverter. It also has a small inverter in it for a portable source of electricity.

• 4 years later...

I was thinking a macerator would eliminate the reliance on gravity to drain the waste tanks, especially since it is sometimes difficult to get them fully empty - especially the long, narrow grey tank.

Power shouldn't be an issue with lithium as the power source.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 3/15/2016 at 8:30 PM, SeaDawg said:

We've used cassettes in rentals in other countries. Not very glam. I'd prefer the "stinky slinky," in most circumstances.

Macerators are great, until they're not. (when they are plugged, and need rebuilding.)

We're on our second macerator. When it dies, we'll decide if we replace it, or just revert to the slinky stinky and call it done.

FWIW, We don't usually have to "pump uphill."

Sherry

"

In our experience with a macerator (4 years), we had no problem with plugging.  However, our camper van also had a macerator, marine type toilet because the toilet was not situated above the black tank as most are.  Black tank discharge was Pre-macerated - for lack of a better term.  However, the macerator toilet is more sophisticated than a gravity flush type, requiring more precautions.  That being said, we had no trouble with the toilet either.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

If using a water hose to the pump, be sure it is attached to an vacuum break (anti-syphon). I know of one seasonal, non sewer site, owner that thought they could by-pass the system. They ended up causing an algae bloom that shut down three sections of a campgrounds water system. Labor intensive, and costly, to correct. Don't be that guy!

• Thanks 2