Suction Cup Towel Racks

Commanche

Was considering using suction cup fasteners for putting up a towel rack on the frig or spice rack behind the sink. Question, will they stay attached over a extended period of time? That is if I could find something that is suitable. Or would double backed tape be a better option.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Stan we've tried that with very limited success. They constantly fall off. I find them to be a nuisance for than helpful, but who knows it might have more to do with the brand/type of suction cup. Could be some are more effective than others. We did permanently mount our paper towel rack to the under side of the Kitchen cabinet over the sink/cooktop with screws and that does work nicely.

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

Stan,

As you know, I've not had Twist very long. However, I've already tried a number of things mounted with suction cups and they all failed. I really like the "Command" brand of tape by 3M in that you can remove it. And, of course, the 3M regular double sided stuff is great for heavier duty applications.

Of course you could always just ask Gunner to hold it in place for you!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I've been using these for several years and they work OK. The push button shows red if the suction is diminishing; a simple press restores max suction. They usually stay for months unless you experience large altitude changes going uphill. Easy to move around if needed and there once were several configurations available besides just the simple hook. Got mine at Lowe's for a couple bucks each.

0k6m44a1vt82sx8z5gr9ne3cbylytspj.jpg

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

• Moderators

jrbirdman,

We've been using the magic red line gizmos, including towel hooks for at least five years. They're great. Easy to adjust with the red line showing.

Hope you did ok in the crazy weather this week. Meant to call you, but a lot of visitors this week.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

This is not exactly the answer to the question that Stan asked regarding using suction cups to hold up a towel rack or paper towel holder - but - on the suggestion of one of our fellow members that attended to Eggs on the Hiawasee rally, I bought both the small and large versions of suction cups sold at Harbor Freight.  Both hold very nicely.  I needed a way to hang my wet fishing waders up to dry after a day of fishing.  I simply put on of the large bright orange ones on the side of the camper near the door.  Right before I go to bed I take the now dry waders in all ready for the next day.  The bright orange color reminds me to remove it before breaking camp and heading on down the road.  Currently these large ones are on sale for $2.00.  I use the smaller black ones inside the closet to hold my laundry bag.  After a week it still is sucking.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We bought extra hooks from Oliver and have attached with screws in convenient locations.  Bought an extra bathroom towel bar, cut it to length and fastened with screws to the pantry door.  A good place to hang dish towels.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

• Moderators

Stan,

Details?  Is that suctioned to the fridge?  Where did you get it?  How much?  How long have you had it stuck (assuming suction)?

Bill

• Thanks 1

Bill,

Here is the link to the towel bar we bought. I put it up about 2 weeks ago and we have been on the road now for a week. We spent some time in Jake's Lake,AZ., then up to Bryce Canyon N.P. where we had two days with Don, (mini Oliver gathering) then we are headed over to Arches for a couple days, then work our way back home.

So far it's holding very good and no sign of coming loose, and yes, it's attached on the front of the frig door, and very handy. We also got that screen door handle that I think you posted about.

Last evening, Don and I, did some fresh water tank filling with a bucket and short garden hose. With Carol's help (our own resident expert) and of course reading the manual we got enough water in our tanks to get us to the next camp site. It's always good to do these things at home before you get out in the boonies, but then again, we did a practice run and promply forgot what we did. Dang old people, you can't teach them anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Contemporary.../B00OH4ID9U

KES Suction Cup Single Towel Bar SUS 304 Stainless

Stan

• Thanks 3

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderator+

Stan,

I could not get that link to work but I think this is the towel bar you referenced.

check it out…

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Stan,

With Carol and Gunner there to help I would have thought that even an old guy could get those tanks filled in no time.

Thanks for the info on the towel bar - it really does look good.  How do you like that screen door bar?

Bill

Hey Everyone.....

If you are looking for towel racks, hooks, bins, clips, paper towel holders, tissue box holders, shelves, soap holders, racks.... <stop for a breath>...that attach with suction cups that WILL NOT fall of the walls of your Oliver.  Look no further!

www.fecausa.com

These things are pretty awesome.  I am not connected with this company in any way except that Donna bought some hooks and a paper towel rack and they just WORK.   It's like they had Oliver in mind when they came up with the idea.

Hope you all find this useful.

Scotty

• Thanks 4

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators
Stan, I could not get that link to work but I think this is the towel bar you referenced. check it out…

We ordered one of these and put it on the door of the fridge like Stan did and it is staying put.  Just back from a trip and no signs of it coming off.  Might get a second one to put on the pantry door.  The only downside is that, at first,  I was reaching for it to open the door of the fridge!  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 years later...

Mike and Carrol:

The suction cup style 14" KES refrigerator towel rod does not appear to be available.  Would the Yohom 17" Stainless Steel Vacuum Suction Cup version fit?

I am asking as I do not have access to my OTT in Hawaii.

Thanks,

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

We now have 3 of the KES racks, one on the fridge, one on the kitchen wall and one under the mirror in the bath. None of them have fallen off, but we did tighten the one on the fridge after a couple of years. I looked at my Amazon order and see that it is not available now. The Yohom looks to be the same style, just a little longer. Looking at the 14” KES on my fridge just now it looks like the 17” would be just slightly too big. It would fit well either on the wall behind the sink or stove or in the bath. Hope this helps. Mike

7EEA17C7-B670-4139-8C04-1019567F90F8.thumb.jpeg.41e057542b4189f695a104750019c0e4.jpeg

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Hi,

I was unable to get Command hooks to work for me so I have gone suction cup crazy. Have gotten all from Amazon -- I did a search for suction cups.

Not pictured below is a small suction cup clock, which is above the bathroom door. This seems to fall the most often. The others have stayed in place for the most part. It has not gotten so bad that I have grated my teeth & thought, "I have got to get rid of these."

[attachment file=bath towel racks.jpg][attachment file=bath towel racks.jpg]

"mirror door 'hiders" :)"[attachment file=charger station2.jpg][attachment file=charger station2.jpg]

[attachment file=charger station1.jpg]

[attachment file=closet door hooks.jpg]

[attachment file=shoe bag.jpg]

[attachment file=plastic bag holder.jpg]

[attachment file=trash holder.jpg]

Charger Station1[attachment file=charger station1.jpg][attachment file=bath towel racks.jpg]

Charger Station2[attachment file=closet door hooks.jpg]

holds shoe bag & for coats[attachment file=shoe bag.jpg]

Shoe Bag[attachment file=plastic bag holder.jpg]

For trash bags - hangs from a suction cup hook[attachment file=trash holder.jpg]

Trash bag holder

charger-station2.thumb.jpg.2781154df3bb5a4ef6fd101a951c6bc2.jpg

charger-station1.thumb.jpg.c87b263c3c9667bfe2999e7d7b882723.jpg

closet-door-hooks.thumb.jpg.9459476758abc66fb623322f690aee10.jpg

shoe-bag.thumb.jpg.7aa02e4ddc09587b1ee6ef0fb9ef2cbe.jpg

plastic-bag-holder.thumb.jpg.66aefeb603a1afa78885159096634e8c.jpg

trash-holder.thumb.jpg.ff7543cc8a677633785d146295f2415a.jpg

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

2017 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab Diesel

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

• Moderators

That's interesting that command hooks didn't work. They've been great in our trailer.

Some suction cup attachments are better than others I stiil have some from 2008 (target) that are going great. Some others from lowes, with the red line, from circa 2010, going strong. Others have been discarded, or replaced the cups.

All the command hooks have held. Did you clean the area with alchohol first, before applying the command hook adhesive tape? I just use the 70 per cent in the first aid kit, and haven't had issues.

Sigh. Command in the early days had chrome finish hooks. Can't find them anymore...

Photo_030508_005.jpg.ee5302ec287db5cab5881e7d3f39f85e.jpg

This photo is from 2008. Those target accrsories still work...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.