Furrion DV1200 radio

topgun2

• Moderators

As with many of you, my new Oliver came with the Furrion DV1200 radio. While I've not tried all of its functions (yet), I did have a problem trying to get a USB memory stick to play music. After reading the manual, pressing every button I could think of and just generally messing around with it, I finally resorted to emailing the company. The answer is fairly simple - this radio will not function with memory sticks any larger than 2mb.

So, I dug up an old 2mb stick, plugged it in and the angels sang. It started playing the music I had loaded on it right away. Then the TV came on listing all of the folders and files on the stick. Using the TV remote I was able to change songs or audio books at will.

Certainly 2mb is big enough and the interface through the TV is slick, but, an eight or sixteen megabite stick capacity would be a bit nicer.

So, save yourself some time and just use the 2mb stick!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We use a 64GB flash drive in our Furrion DV1200 radio. Just to be sure I went and check it out before responding . No issues with the 64GB drive.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

• Moderators

Interesting!

Here is the exact quote from Furrion:

"Mr. Jones,

When using a usb stick you can only use no more than 2 gb otherwise it will not play.

If this doesn’t help you please contact me at the number below so I can explain it better.

Have a nice day. Thank you,

Helen Markham"

So, perhaps it the brand of USB stick - what brand are you using for that 64?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Last night before I posted the above that the Furrion DV1200 radio in our Oliver Elite II does play music stored on a 64GB flash drive, I went out to the trailer to check the size of the flash drive and checked to see that it would play. The details of the flash drive comes up on the TV so you can select which ever song you want to play.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

• Moderators

Horace & Dianne,

OK, but this afternoon I took every USB memory stick I have to include the 64gb stick that I use in my truck and tried them in the Furrion. No luck (except for the 2gb one).

Any idea of the brand of the memory stick you are using?

Bill

The memory stick that I use is a SanDisk Cruze Edge 64GB. When I copy music from my computer to the memory stick; I don't copy the album but I copy the song in the album. This method has proved to be successful with many devices that support a USB drive.

However when I tried just to copy the entire album an paste it to a USB drive, there has been several devices that could not read the USB drive. But when I just copy the songs that I want then paste them to the USB drive I have not found any device that would not read the USB drive.

Good luck.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

• Moderators

Indeed, my music is arranged into folders that are separated first by artist and then by album. Possibly that is the reason yours is working and mine is not. Unfortunately, I placed Twist into storage yesterday and don't have convenient access at the moment. So, testing your method on my Furrion will have to wait. Certainly I will report back here when I have a chance.

Thanks for the information!

Bill

Topgun2:

Let me you what you find when you have the chance to check out your system. I am not sure what your file name extensions are for your music but the file extension name for my music is “wma”.

Good luck.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

• Moderators

donthompson,

Yes, the Furrion is supposed to work with Bluetooth, but, I've not tried that yet.

Bill

• Moderators

Horace and Dianne, et.al.

The mystery is solved (perhaps). Today I took a LEXAR 16gb memory stick and tried it in the Furrion radio. First, the stick had 11gb of music arranged in folders by artist and then by album. As with previous experience the Furrion would seem to try to load this music but would not either play it nor show anything but the total number of songs on the screen. Then I took the same stick with basically the same songs (a total of 10.8 gb) but arranged without folders - just one song after another. This time the Furrion started playing the first song and listed all songs on the TV. Using the TV remote, I could then scroll down through the list of songs and play any to include the very last one.

So, it seems that the personnel at Furrion are both right and wrong - if one simply lists songs one after another the USB player will work with data amounts greater than 2gb, but, if one wishes to have data amounts greater than 2gb divided into various folders, the USB player can not handle it.

Unfortunately for me I like various kinds of music depending on my mood. So, instead of having one memory stick with several folders for jazz, classical, pop, country, Celtic or new age, I will need to get several 2gb sticks and split things up. Also, for audio books this same problem arises.

Bill

Bill:

I am glad it worked out for you with just listing the songs without other details. It has worked in our Oliver without any issues.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator+

Windows Media Audio (WMA) is an audio data compression technology developed by Microsoft. The name can be used to refer to its audio file format or its audio codecs. It is a proprietary technology that forms part of the Windows Media framework. Microsoft developed Windows Media Audio (WMA) in an effort to undermine the MP3, Apple's AAC compression, and other codecs.

Almost everybody uses mp3 as their codec. The problems you've experienced MAY be related to the fact that they are WMA files. You can easily convert them to mp3's.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Nope - all the files I used in the various tests on the Furrion were MP3's. Thanks for trying though.

Bill

I picked up my Oliver this week and it works very well with bluetooth. I have over 150 gigs of my music available through my iPhone and iTunes Match. I also use Apple Music, so the possibilities are "endless". Oliver installed some high-quality JBL speakers that I sent to them while they were building my Ollie. Great sound!

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• Moderators

donthompson,

I've still not had a chance to try the Bluetooth side of things but I'm guessing that it will work as you say. However, using Bluetooth means that you have to have another "machine". Perhaps I'm a bit old fashion and my mind seems to be only be able to handle one thing at a time. I say, "stick a USB stick in the hole and let it play". That way I do not have to even think about turning on the tablet, getting the music app up, picking the right songs or playlist, and making sure that the tablet is "paired" with the Furrion. But, given the limitations of the Furrion, as noted above, it looks like Bluetooth or multiple memory sticks (assuming that you want over 2gb of differing styles of music) are the two ways to go.

Bill

• 3 months later...

Has anyone tried to play a movie in mp4 format from a USB drive? I tried recently and it would not recognize it although the manual says it's an accepted format. It was a 32gig usb...thanks

Olive Oyl

2015 GMC Yukon

2016 Legacy Elite II

Hull # 132

• Moderators

Weyzer,

Don't know the answer but you might try emailing -

Helen Markham <helen@furrion.com>

She got back to me fairly quickly with a good answer on my Furrion questions.

Bill