onboard jacks

topgun2

• Moderators

Does everyone simply use the onboard jacks to level the Ollie? Are there any reasons to NOT use these jacks? What about campsites that require greater leveling than the jacks can provide by themselves? Does anyone level using ramps, blocks, stacks of wood, etc. and then use the jacks to stabilize versus simply using the jacks all by themselves?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

My answer is yes. Even when remaining hitched to the tow the rear jacks are sufficient for leveling. I carry a couple of 6x6 blocks of wood to place under each jack but that is to reduce the amount of extension in the jacks. We have camped on some pretty uneven sites and never had to resort to leveling blocks. I do use chocks on the tires when unhitched...just in case.

These jacks are a huge benefit for the Ollie. Helps me enjoy the camping experience without pain.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Well I know I'm stepping right into this one but as we know everyone has an opinion and I due understand those I just wish to follow my thoughts. That is to use some leveling blocks most of the time it is one or two high and on occasion maybe three. The reason i do this is to not torque the frame as much or stress and once i level this way I use the levelers to stabilize the trailer for my set up. I made a block for the front jack and use the leveling blocks to reduce the travel on the rear jacks just as Trumpet does. Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Just returned yesterday from a two week trip to southern Utah where we camped off the grid for the entire period. We use leveling blocks and have two sets of the plastic ones and wouldn't want to be without them. Can't speak for other campsites back east but out west its not uncommon at all to have campsites on BLM, National Forest and Parks where the pads are nowhere near level. Without the leveling blocks we often wound up both wheels on one side or the other completely off the ground. We've run into this in Glacier NP as well as almost all the campgrounds we stayed at in the red rock country. We also carry several 2x6's (2x8's would be better) cut to length and prefer to use them if possible for leveling. If the lumber is not thick enough we resort to the plastic lego blocks. But to that I will also add we use the plastic in combination with the 2x6's under each of the 3 leveling jacks if for no other reason the thing sets up way quicker and the jacks are not extended as far.

A quick way to determine if the wheels are going to rise off the ground on one side or the other is to look at the bubble level at the front jack switch while still hitched but with camper in place. If that bubble is outside of the second circle (outer circle) partially is almost guaranteed we need to install leveling blocks under the errant side. Saves a heck of a lot of time.

So to summarize we use the leveling blocks under wheels as well as the stabilizer jacks but for different reasons. I would highly recommend investing in a couple of sets, they are inexpensive and easy to store.

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

I kind of thought that this topic just might stir the pot a little.

As Mrs. Commanche can tell you, I had a weld break on the "L" bracket that holds my street side jack to the frame. This was not due to too much weight or torque, but, simply a faulty weld. In any case, that got me up close and personal with the jacks and the brackets that hold them which resulted in some thinking.

Certainly if I'm in a hurry or its raining or dark or, or, or... I'm not opposed to simply using the jacks all by themselves to level my Ollie. But, if I have the time, etc., I'm thinking that stress on the frame, the jacks, the "L" brackets, and, me can be reduced by using leveling blocks under the wheels and then use the jacks to simply stabilize. Certainly this method makes even more sense if I plan to stay in one spot for more than an overnight.

From the responses so far it seems that (for those that chose to use leveling blocks) wood and the "lego" plastic things are being used. However, does (or has) anyone use the Anderson leveler? If yes, do you use it on one or both wheels on the Elite II?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

If you choose not to use the on board jacks you micht check out the Bal leveler.

I will continue using the on board jacks, trusting that Oliver engineered the frame well enough to take the stress.

We are new Oliver owners.

The previous owner built two wood rear jack blocks covered with fiberglass possibly filled with foam block keeping weight to a minimum, the blocks are light, (he's a fiberglass aircraft builder) & cut one wood block jack block for the front jack. These items came with the "new to us" Ollie.

Front jack block:

fyr1tf7s1u40e0amldxs397a83vboz7t.jpg

Rear jack block:Rear jack block:

6v3wwprt79uyjbepy57ny3ge6dyebcl8.jpg

zq6f8885vxx22ju6en64kc2351lefia5.jpg

xws0dxhch0i93z52v3csqsazcihzwg6k.jpg

LE2

• Moderators

Bill & Debbie,

While waiting for delivery of Twist this past winter I made three "blocks" by cutting up a piece of 6x6 that I had laying around. I then put a coat of poly on them and made handles so that they would not absorb water and would be easier to pick up. The handles were made using insulated electrical wiring staples and some cheap plastic rope. In addition to heating the ends of the plastic rope I also put a bit of shrink tape in order to make sure they didn't fray.

Trumphetguy,

Took a look at the BAL. Assuming that you meant the BAL 28050 leveler, I don't think it will work on the Elite II. They say it is for single axle trailers only and has a max weight rating of something under 2,000 pounds.

I'm still hoping that someone has used the Anderson levelers and can give an opinion.

Bill

q13lc7ye16fauos7emapl2eh8fsg84up.JPG

Bill,

That's nice looking job on the block.

We're busy getting our Ollie ready for camping in the NC mountains. Once the pickup truck rear suspension upgrade arrives later this week (I hope) & it's installed, will weigh the camper & pickup at local scales, then will start camping!!!!!!

LE2

We love the North Carolina mountains. Spent three weeks near Asheville last Summer and will do again this August. Our present plans include Ash Grive CG in Brevard, Mt. Pisgah at mile 484, and Lake Powhatton. Plan to motor over to Boone for camping at Linville Falls. Love it and a cool respite from our Gulf Coast humidity.

Anyone interested in a meet up send me a PM.

We also use the onboard jacks, supported by the lego type leveling blocks for the back, and 4X4s for the front jack.

We just left Davidson River NFCG near Brevard, NC and loved it. We arrived on Thursday and left Sunday. It did get a bit noisy there during the weekend. Seemed like our loop (White Oak) had the most kids. But a great CG and we would definitely return if ever in the area again.

Ed and Marsha

Legacy Elite II, Hull #85

Ford F150 Lariat

• Moderators

Ed & Marsha,

I live just down the road. Next time you are here drop me a PM and I'll try to come over for a short visit. Glad you liked Davidson River CG but, if you are interested, there are some boondocking sites not far away. Also, if you didn't know it, from about this time of year until September the trout hatchery puts between 1000 and 2000 trout into that section of river by the campground EACH WEEK!

ea6fokh7in7xi3u5zh2lugrpkwujup5z.jpg

Bill,

Nice fish, better looking the the 5 channel cats Carol and I caught in out pond Saturday evening. Only 2 were big enough to eat ,and they were border line. The one small bass was also a throw back too.

I was so impressed by your 6x6 blocks, that I made some for my trailer too. A lot better then dealing with a bunch of 2x6's.

We are in the process of planning a trip to southern Utah for this summer, maybe June. We have done nothing since our Florida trip last February. Time to "get it in gear".

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• 2 months later...

Looking for some blocks to set jack-stands on yesterday. The Ollie rear jack blocks work fine and a great motivator to finish the job quickly so we can go camping! :)

Jack-stands on rear Ollie blocks supporting motorcycle while replacing steering head bearings:

Jack blocks in use under rear Ollie jacks:

LE2

• Moderators

We pulled in to our site last week and I started putting down the jacks.  Front and road side jacks went down, curb side jack just went click, click, click.  After a quick text to Steve (Scubarx) I lifted the bed and forced the jack down back on the track with the manual handle.  I always try to stop before I hit the top when retracting the jacks, but not being able to see them requires a second set of eyes or constantly stopping and looking.  Lesson learned, you might hear that click, click, click when trying to put the jack down if you heard the click, click, click when you raised it!  Thanks to Steve for quick advice to help out a new owner.

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS