The Lone Star Oliver #135

• Moderators

Our scheduled pick up date was May 10.  We arrived on the afternoon of May 9.  Our trailer just left for a wash,  oh well.  We drove out to Fall Hollow to check in to the B&B.  Noel was very friendly and helpful.  Accommodations were simple but clean.  He cooks a mean breakfast - we weren't hungry until dinner time.

After check in we drove back to the Sales Office to see our trailer.  Met Bob and Camille who were taking delivery of their trailer.

Our trailer looked great!  But, we immediately saw a few things that weren't right.  We were missing an extra 110V outlet and had an extra 12V instead of an extra USB on the nightstand.  Most concerning was the none of the special graphics we asked for were done.

Tuesday we went through the orientation with Tommy and finished the paperwork with Anita.  Very smooth.  It was mid afternoon when we finished and they pulled it back to the factory to add the outlet and make a few other minor adjustments.  The 12V to USB was done right at the Sales Office.  We decided to stay an extra night in the B&B and pick up the morning of the 11th since the weather was quite damp with more rain on the way.

We met Tommy and Mike at the factory Wednesday morning and installed the Andersen Hitch.  While we were checking lights, turn signals, etc., we discovered the back up lights would not come on on the trailer.  Lot's of troubleshooting.  Since Steve Landrum (scubarx) was there we backed his truck up to test and verified it was the trailer and not the truck.  So they pulled it back into the factory for some serious troubleshooting.  Result was that there was a short in the wiring at the furnace, that all had to be replaced (including the furnace!).  Thanks to Steve for sacrificing the fuse for his back up lights!

Around 5:00 Tommy called and said we were good to go.  We had been hanging out in the Sales Office with Anita and Chris, so we drove over and got hooked up and headed to Fall Hollow.  Shortly after our arrival, a couple from Maine pulled in for their first night.  Then, about an hour later two Oliver's showed up that were getting something done at the factory the next day.  4 Oliver's in the tiny Fall Hollow campground!

Everything checked out and we left the next morning for Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area on the TN and KY border.  Hillman Ferry KY State Park is where we've been the last two nights.  I've posted some pictures on our profile page.  One is me putting on our front Graphic.  I will do the rest of what we asked for once back in San Antonio.

Overall, the pick up process was both enjoyable and frustrating.  Oliver seems to be ramping up quickly and they need to address some attention to detail issues, which I'm sure will happen.  Scott Oliver was there for much of our experience and knows what needs to be done.  Everyone was well meaning and apologetic for the glitches we had.

We have tested about everything and have to say we are very happy.  It was in the high 50's this morning and we had some windows open all night, so I fired up the furnace when we got up and it heated things quickly. Kitchen, bath, hot water all very functional.   It's a very comfortable space to live in.  The only drawback is the noise of the air conditioner (Dometic) inside.  We only used it the first part of the evening we were at Fall Hollow.

I'm towing with a 2012 Toyota Tacoma.  The trip up was a mix of state highways, some interstate and lots of hills.  There wasn't a hill that I couldn't maintain speed on.  I kept it between 60 and 65 mph.  The only drawback for the Tacoma that I can see right now is the size of the gas tank, something around 22 gallons.  My first tank showed 13.2 MPG, so I'll be stopping every few hours to fill up.

We are off to Branson (Table Rock State Park) for a few nights in the morning.  We've been getting compliments and are definitely enjoying our Oliver!  Will be adding more pics on our profile page as we go.

Mike and Carol

• Thanks 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

Great pictures, great design. It looks as if you had no problem at all applying your front graphic to The Lone Star Oliver.  It looks perfectly centered and perpendicular, not an easy job. I am impressed.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Steve, thanks.  It was a warm sunny afternoon, perfect for applying graphics.  You just have to go slow and work out any air bubbles with a hard plastic "squeegee".  Getting it positioned was the real trick.

Buzzy, hope your pick up goes well.  Check everything!  They will go out of their way to make things right.  We are happy campers... Mike

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Mike and Carol,

I picked up my camper on March 15, 2016.  While I didn't experience as many issues as you did (very sorry to hear about your issues), it did seem that the Oliver folks were a bit stretched because of the number of deliveries.  Their success presents challenges for them.  On the positive side, every person I dealt with was professional, patient and persistent!  The only serious issue I had was with two cameras.  I ordered a camera for the front as well as the rear.  They couldn't pair both cameras to the monitor.  I had them remove the front camera and repair the fiberglass after a couple of days of trying to get it to work.

My advice to anyone traveling to Hohenwald to pick up a new Ollie is to be flexible.  You may spend more time there than you planned.  Most important, plan to camp for a few nights within 200-300 miles of Hohenwald before returning home.  The Natchez Trace is a great experience.  Enjoy your maiden voyage nearby so you can return to the factory to have any issues you discover addressed.

Be patient and flexible, and stay calm.  You'll thoroughly enjoy all of the people at Oliver--from sales to the technicians in the factory!

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Don, planning extra time in Hohenwald is a good idea.  We planned an extra night at Fall Hollow and it was good that we did.  The next couple of nights were about 150 miles away.  No issues!  I'm surprised at the number of compliments we've been getting.

We are now at Table Rock State Park outside of Branson, nice park.  Will be here until mid week.  Towing with the Tacoma has been fine, not pushing it.

• Moderators

Glad all your issues have all been resolved by the factory. Call me when you are back home in the Texas Hill Country.  I'd love to see my neighborhood Ollie in person.  ;)

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Pete, we'll be back in the neighborhood Friday.  Will give you a call, would love to have you come over to have a look!

Bill, the folks at Oliver worked hard to make things right.  There will be growing pains as business increases which they realize and are addressing.

As we're getting settled in to this small space living we're finding it very comfortable and functional.  We are surrounded by huge 5th wheels with multiple slide outs but still get lots of looks and compliments.

We're here in the Ozarks a couple more days, then south to Arkansas.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Hey Mike & Carol,

Sorry to hear of your troubles getting everything straightened out on your Oliver.  Happy that it all worked out in the end.

Thank you for posting this information. We are set for a June 2nd delivery and have special graphics in the works as well.  Did Oliver give you an explanation of why the graphic was not put on your trailer?  Who, at Oliver, did you work with on the graphics?  I will try to get in front of this by contacting them beforehand to make sure they are put on.

Another question...    Where can i see the photos's of your trailer?

Hope all is well and you are back home safe and sound.  Best of Luck on the Oliver!

Gregg & Donna Scott

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators

Gregg,

We worked mostly with Anita on the graphics, and a little with Rodney Staggs (Tommy's nephew, I think).  Rodney doesn't work in the Trailer part of the company.  I requested to have "The Lone Star Oliver" on the side instead of the "Legacy Elite II", our hull number on the back above the window and out big star with winding road on the front.  There were a couple of issues - I think they just forgot/overlooked the side and back graphics.  On the front, Rodney couldn't print our star big enough, so I had it done locally.  That presented a question of liability - if it was messed up being installed he didn't have the ability to print a new one.

The graphics took a back seat to the other issues.  The outlets were easily fixed and the short in the wiring was just bad luck, it took the better part of a day to fix that.  I decided I would take care of the graphics later.  I peeled of the their front graphic and installed mine at our first campground.  Very easy, just had to be slow and careful.  I have some pictures in our profile.

wv93jf5lniioizbruf4cdqlej8qawc9i.thumb.jpg.0fe13458b43a1647070f03651fcef1bb.jpg

I'll do the side and back graphics over the next few weeks.  We have a local guy who prints and installs.

Mike

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Is the graphic something you made or did the factory? Is it something they were going to do? How much space do you have to work with on the front? Love your front design. It would be easy to identify if we passed you on the highways. We have a design in mind and a super shop in the neighborhood that makes them. We could bring to the pickup. Thank you..

• Moderators

We had the front graphic done locally.  There is an artist in town that also does computer graphics.  We asked her to combine a star, a compass and the Oliver winding road in dark red and gray.  She came up with a couple designs and we then did some refining to get what we've got.  I emailed the computer file to the factory, but was told that their printer was not able to print it the size we wanted.  So I had a local print shop print two big ones (in case one got messed up during application).  We took both with us when we picked up.   The factory would not put it on, saying that if they messed it up they would be unable to replace it (even though I showed them the back up).  At our first campground at Land Between the Lakes I put it on, pretty easy actually.  It is pretty noticeable....?

I'm not sure what the front measurements are to work with.  I think our star is 30" across.  I'll measure it Thursday when I bring it home to prep for our December trip.

Once we got back from our pick up trip we changed out the rest of the graphics working with our local print shop.  They were fast and reasonably priced.  I did the installs, it just takes a little time and patience.  We always get comments.  The only issue with "The Lone Star Oliver" on the side is that most folks think that is the model and that it is made in Texas.  I always explain that that was our name for our trailer and that all Olivers are made in Tennessee!  It's a conversation starter anyway.

BTW, our inspiration for what we did came from Steve and Tali's "Outlaw Oliver", both how they did their front compass graphic and the lettering on the side.  The idea for our names on the side by the front door came from Gary and Jona and the hull number on the back above the window from Gary and Jona and Lee and Terry.  They all made a San Antonio stop about a year ago and we had dinner with them at Pete's house (Bugeyedriver).   It was a small Texas Oliver Rally.  Maybe we should do a repeat!  Mike

t4h724egrpkgtgf3zd80tg4oljc4uf8d.jpg.ab19af3481f9b3f43cb883cb13bf4954.jpg

8loyw81hhwwqhnnr25qjk14jvmekxbsw.jpg.c92fae95e3098934694bf4b4980140dd.jpg

y4jg2m2nf1qsajn3wluij35rkm0kgdq4.jpg.8a42543fa18be1b853f7639bde6a51f6.jpg

d0unw042i27y4f5yvllanr8wyu0p5kb8.thumb.jpg.c9caeafb7d46e4d37ec5a3f68a582a93.jpg

We love your graphics :) We ordered ours without and also plan on doing our own as Karen is an artist :) We will be adding a few more, thanks to you guys. The names on the side give you that personal touch... We pick ours up in March :)

Thanks for all of the great details :)

Reed Lukens

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Thank you. You answered our questions and gave us some more ideas. Think we will have the factory leave the graphics off. Our supplier 'Banana Banners' even does fire trucks near and wide, and you know how picky those guys are. She ships world wide.

I like that your star also looks like a compass rose, always showing you the true course, and the way home, wherever home may be tonight...

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
We love your graphics ? We ordered ours without and also plan on doing our own as Karen is an artist ? We will be adding a few more, thanks to you guys. The names on the side give you that personal touch… We pick ours up in March ? Thanks for all of the great details ? Reed Lukens

Reed and Karen, we will be watching for your pick up pictures.   The Oliver is a unique trailer all by itself and when each owner adds their own touch it makes them even more unique...and conversation starters!

Thank you. You answered our questions and gave us some more ideas. Think we will have the factory leave the graphics off. Our supplier ‘Banana Banners’ even does fire trucks near and wide, and you know how picky those guys are. She ships world wide. I like that your star also looks like a compass rose, always showing you the true course, and the way home, wherever home may be tonight…

Glad questions were answered.  If you have more, ask away.  Someone here has the answer.

Mike

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
How much space do you have to work with on the front?  Thank you..

For planning purposes.... I just measured from the top of the seam around the middle to the top of our graphic - 33".  Our graphic has a diameter of 24".  Hope that helps.  Mike