I need your help

rvbella

Hello, Dh and I have been drooling over the Oliver for a few weeks now, finally got our Oliver info packet today. We have been going back and forth on which to buy. I know what I don't really care to have or what we don't need, so I am thinking we really don't need the Elite, but rather the Legacy with options. Our choice is not set in stone, but due to some major health issues for my Dh, I am trying to keep things sensible as we don't know how long we will be able to keep traveling/camping. But I know I don't want to leave crucial things off the trailer and wish we had them later. So there are some options that I am not sure about.

1. the outside wash station, Do you find a need for it? How often do you use and for what kind of things do you use it for?

2. The Fantastic Fan (Whats so fantastic about it, compared to the fan that comes with the Oliver?

3. The Day and Night Shades, if they are a upgrade what type of window coverings come with the Legacy?

4. Monitoring System for tanks, I have never not had them ( though half the time I wondered if they really work) and I am wondering how easy is it to not have them?

5. The Chrome Wheel option, Haven't seen an Oliver with out Chrome, so wondering what the standard wheels look like?

Now I am also wondering, but assume that you can also order the Elite options on the Legecy as well. (I will find out)

But was wondering about the double pane windows, are they worth it?

The upgraded shock system, is it needed?

Thanks for your help. RvBella

• Moderators

RVBella,

Life is to short and there are no guarantees for tomorrow. I hear you saying DH has health concerns and you're not sure how long you may be able to travel. My humble advice, given these facts, would be to "go for the whole enchilada." Live life abundantly and joyously, you won't regret it.

(I've pm'd you my # . . . call me if you'd like and we could discuss this further)

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Thanks bugeyedriver, but I am pretty set on the things I really don't need or want. I never use a microwave (ever), so I would really rather have the space for storage of a toaster, crockpot etc. As for the King Dome, I really wonder how often we would use it. Entertainment System, seems a little much for our needs as well. Again, our choices are not set in stone, but thats why I was wondering about some of the options. and if we would need or use them. RvBella

• Moderators

Robin,

Gotcha! Then here are the items you've mentioned I find that I really appreciate having and wouldn't want to be without:

Fan-Tastic Vent: This thing is amazing! You can blow air in or suck air out on three different settings, thermostatically controlled - if it starts raining while the vent is open, it senses the moisture, closes the vent, turns off the fan, when its moisture sensor dries, it opens the vent and restarts the fan! Doesn't get much easier than that.

Double Pane Windows: The trailer is so well insulated with the double walls of fiberglass , I thought it would be a shame to feel a lot of heat coming in in the summer or cold creeping in in the winter. There is a lot of window space in the trailer so this effect could be significant.

Day-Night Shades: Even with double pane windows, a bit of radiant heat comes through with bright sunlight, putting up the day shade allows you to still see out and drops the incoming radiant energy to zip. At night, you need something to provide privacy and the pull-down night shades do the trick very well. )These are both encased in a window treatment that surrounds the windows and ther is no flapping of blinds or difficulty with curtains that don't quite close together.)

Monitoring System: Tells you your battery charge; fresh water / grey water / black water levels. All of these give you an idea of how long your endurance is and if you need to modify your energy and water consumptions to extend your trip as planned. Over time this information will give you longer time out relaxing in your trailer and you won't have any "surprises".

Upgraded shocks: I went for the 4" lift and the upgraded shocks. Not that I intend to go offroading, but as protection. I was glad I had them just yesterday! On the way back from the campsite I encountered a jackknifed 18wheeler blocking the road. The only way to get through was OFFROAD down an incline and up one on the other side. I was glad for the upgraded suspension at that moment.

Haven't really needed the wash station yet, but when the time comes . . .

Hope this helped, feel free to call if you'd like.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

I suppose if you had never had certain upgrades you wouldn't probably miss them but I definitely would not go without the fantastic-fan, shocks, lift, monitoring system or the shades.

The shades are SO nice and very useful. I love that at night we can have on all the lights but you would never know it from the outside as the shades block all of the light. It keeps it nice and dim as the sun rises so we can wake up when we are ready.

I like the fan because I don't really have to think about it. If we take our dogs and leave them in the trailer the fan will open up and turn on if it gets too hot in there and close back up if it starts to rain.

We find the outside shower station handy for washing up after putting gas in the generator or cleaning up dirty kids and big kids without tracking it in the trailer.

We definitely appreciate the extra shocks and lift on our trailer because we are often on bumpy dirt roads. Everything is where we put it when we get to where we are going.

We have used the monitoring system throughout our trips because we boondock. It has really helped us to conserve water and power. It would stink to run out of either with no warning.

Hope that helps,

Lisa

• Moderator+

I too, am in the process of "ordering" my Oliver. I've read and re-read anything and everything I can get my hands on concerning what is available for it including probably every post in this forum. Obviously, everyone is different in their wants and/or needs, but it seems that the Oliver folks have a pretty good handle on what people want. Of course, if an option won't meet your needs I would not pay for it.

I read an advertisement for a product many years ago that has stuck in my mind ever since. It said: "Nobody was ever sorry they bought the best there is..." With that in mind, I plan to buy everything that I think I might ever want because every time I've scrimped on something thinking I can live without it or it would save some money, I've regretted it and ususally ended up spending more money getting to where I wanted to be.

I appreciate all the insight and good advice that everyone has shared on this forum. I am really excited to become part of this familly of Egg Owners. Does this make us all Eggheads???? ;)

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thanks Everyone, for your Oliver wisdom! It helps, know what works for others.

bugeyedriver, I had posted a post with some of these ?'s on rv.net and I got a lot of the same info about the fantastic fan as you posted. It sounds fantastic! Thats one thing I was wondering about, why "It" over the one that comes standard? You answered why. I love the idea that it shuts itself off and on.

As for the other options, most if not all are on our list of either must haves or think strongly about. So I was just wondering what others thought.

meanderthaul, from the post I posted on rv.net I saw that the outside wash station would be one of those things that could be pretty handy, when you need it. So are you enjoying your new Oliver?

Bugz, I am not so much into boondocking, but Dh prefers! A few days here and there, aren't bad, but extended not so much............... Besides I have to pull out my butane curling iron, when I prefer to use my flat iron :lol: As for the lift and shock thing, we were pretty set on those options. We live in Colorado, and we tend to take a back road once in awhile. I like your's and bugeye's thoughts on the day/might shades.

subarx, I am so with you on the great info on this forum. Thankfully, I have camped and rv'ed all my life so I can understand most of it, but due to health issues for my Dh, and not knowing how long he has to keep camping I want to buy responsibly. That's why the Oliver caught my eye, I feel the Oliver is buying the best quality for a travel trailer that meets our needs. I want to purchase something that won't be falling apart in 2 years cause I will have to be doing all of the driving, backing up (ewww) , setting up/breaking down, maintenance on whatever rv we buy. And want to get a rv that will work for our needs without having a ton of money sitting in the drive way should our travel time end within a couple of years. Which, is basically the way it will go, but want to enjoy what time he has left to do the things he loves most. But as I said I don't want to have regrets for not having the options that we should have. Thats why I am picking and choosing rather than just going for all of it. Hopefully I will pick and choose correctly. So do you know when your going to take the plunge? I still have a lot of things to work out, but need to get going on it. Good Luck with your purchase!

Again, Thanks Everyone for your Oliver Wisdom! RvBella

I have an Elite and enjoy it immensely!! The microwave has a browning feature to it but if you don't like them at all, delete it but get the power plug for it in the cabinet. I have both the window treatment and the double pane windows. A must have in my opinion for the reasons stated by others Outside shower is a VERY handy item for washing off sandy/dirty feet, washing off greasy items you don't want in your holding tank, washing hands and hose after a sewer dump, washing your dogs/cats/gerbils etc. Entertainment center works on 12v so if you boondock with DVDs and solar, you're set for movies. Ditto with the satelite setup. Chrome wheels are for looks but the upgrade suspension a lift kit are important in my opinion.

Having had two Casitas previously, the options I wanted most were not available on Casitas or any other fiberglass trailer and Airstream was the only other $40,000 option!

Hope I answered your questions.

Chuck

Thanks tumbleweed, I honestly don't use a micro, even at home. But the browning feature would be nice, since there isn't a oven. Yes I did still want the power plug in there. Basically use that space as I do the apliance garage at home. Thanks for your ideas. RvBella