New TV: GMC 2500 HD (Gas) or Nissan Titan XD Diesel?

Presently, trying to make a choice between these two for a TV.  I'll get the Crew Cab in either.  Might be able to get a good price on the GMC, but i really like the design and engineering of the Nissan.  Gasser or Diesel...the ever present debate.  As i am a fulltime worker, i'll use both to get to work (i have my trusty 97 Honda beater, that keeps on going, dutifully, like a loving labrador).  Anyway, GMC or Nissan?  What ya'all think..I value your opinions.

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II;  #129

Ordered in 2015, picked up in 2016.  My friend Don Thompson picked his up right in front of me, very cool dude.

2016 Nissan Titan XD, Diesel

For me, its more a question of gas vs diesel for pulling a heavy load, and for me it is always diesel that wins out.  I've had a Toyota Tundra and am now on my second Dodge Ram diesel (3500 SRW) and I much prefer the grunt of the diesel.  I've hauled a car trailer with a 1969 chevelle on the trailer and it was effortless with the Dodge, especially when crossing mountains.   I am getting 16 mpg around town and 20-22 mpg on the highways, with no trailer, in the Dodge. I'm anticipating an easy haul with the yet to be purchased Oliver.

• Thanks 1

• Moderator+

Much like Buzzy's above story, I too bought my truck (2014 GMC Sierra 6.2L w/NHT tow package) long distance.  I did everything over the phone, even my trade in.  I looked for what I wanted locally but nothing was available.  I finally found a dealer in Collinsville, IL that had the exact truck I wanted.  Everything was smooth and painless.

That, of course, does not answer your question (Gas or Diesel).  If I had it to do again, I would buy the 2500 HD, but knowing how well the big block gas burner preforms (amazing) it would be a hard choice between the 6.0L gas and the diesel.

Truthfully, there is no need for a diesel to pull our Oliver's as is evidenced by the majority of the owners.  A far wiser man than I told me long ago that unless you pull HEAVY loads in DIFFICULT terrain ALL THE TIME the added expense of a diesel makes it hard to justify.  That does not mean I would not choose the diesel as I do tend to over engineer things and then there's the cool factor of having a beast for a tow vehicle.

All that being said, there are two owners that just recently chose to trade their big block gassers for diesels.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Vector,

I may be in the minority, but I don't believe it's necessary to have a heavy duty (3/4 ton) pickup to tow an Oliver Elite II. I tow with a 2015 VW Touareg TDI (turbo diesel). It has a 7700 lb. towing capacity and I tow without an equalizer hitch. The standard bulldog hitch works well. The diesel provides the grunt to pass with the Ollie on two-lane roads and gets me up to cruising speed very quickly. I checked my mileage yesterday after returning home from a campground in NE Iowa about 120 miles from home and I averaged 19.5 mpg towing the Ollie. I was on 2-lane roads most of the time driving between 55-58 mph and interstate for about 40 miles towing at 65 mph. The Touareg's only negative is that you don't have the cargo space available in a full-size pickup, but if you have or are buying an Ollie, you've already made the choice to go "small". When I'm not towing, I have a very comfortable, luxurious SUV as my primary vehicle that averages 26 mpg in my everyday driving and around 30-31 mpg when traveling long distances at sustained speeds of 75 to 80 mph. It really does double duty!

Don

• Thanks 3

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

Hey Don,

My situation requires a truck...i like to haul dirt/mulch/plants every Spring and waste tons of my retirement $$ doing so...my i get a nice Psychic income from doing that,  so what the heck. The Nissan isn't a 3/4 ton, kind of a tweener, but just love the 5.0 Cummins.  Plus, mine will haul a kayak or canoe on top a significant amount of the time.

Toureg is pretty sweet though.  i'll be hauling 4 humans, and assorted gear/food/water, etc.  So, truck is where i gotta go.

Who does your maintenance on the Toureg?  Dealership, you, mechanic?

Alrighty, thanks.

Vector

Ordered in 2015, picked up in 2016.  My friend Don Thompson picked his up right in front of me, very cool dude.

Tuaregs are solid trucks, but like any German vehicle they will absolutely kill you with extremely high repair costs once the warranty is gone. The 3.0 TDI engine uses FOUR timing chains and the chains are not known for their longevity. Early engines (around 2005) also had issues with tensioner failures. All the chains are at the BACK of the engine, so you are looking at complete engine remove just to gain access, at say $125 per hour at your stealership. Read this: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/V6-TDI-engine-FAQ.htm

If you tow your Ollie into remote regions you run the risk of having a breakdown and not being within half a state of a VW or Audi dealer. Local repair shops will have little experience with these vehicles, nor will they have the expensive specialized tooling needed to diagnose and work on them. Having owned three German cars over the years, I am at the "never again" stage and will not buy a vehicle that cannot be worked on in just about any town large enough to have a car dealer of some kind.

If you never venture into the remote Western states, you may be fine with a Tuareg. Just don't try to get a blown trannee or broken timing chain fixed in say Wyoming or Nevada. For example there is ONE VW dealer (and no Audi dealers) in Wyoming, and three in Nevada, and they are located in the cesspools of Las Vegas and Reno. If you travel the boonies you are out of luck. Will AAA tow your car 300 miles for free? I don't think so.

The new Titan is intriguing, and the new Cummins 5.0 V8 may in time prove to be a wonder, but being brand new, it is completely unproven and parts availability will be difficult and the parts will be expensive, until it becomes used in more vehicles. I think this would be a killer engine for towing in a light duty Ram pickup., either in a 1500 4x4, as an option in place of  the 3.0 EcoDiesel) or in a 2500 Power Wagon. The PW is a superbly capable offroad truck hampered by horrible fuel economy ... the only thing preventing me from running to the dealer to buy one....

If you tow lots of miles into remote areas, buy one of the Big Three for ease of repairs and service. If you plan to be up high more than occasionally (say the Colorado Plateau, or even the very steep back roads of Idaho), get a diesel for the low end torque. Diesels are preferred for towing not just because they get good fuel economy, but because the driving experience is so darned relaxed. You don't worry about climbing or passing, and the greatly extended range between fill-ups is just a nice bonus. Being able to calmly climb a steep pass at 12,000 feet with your engine at 1800 rpm is wonderful.

Gas engines have to work in the upper end of their rpm range and having the motor screaming just does not make for a relaxing drive. The only way you know a diesel is working hard is the boost and temperatures go up. Otherwise, it's smooth relaxed sailing.

I have a 2006 Ram with the Cummins 5.9 (the last year before all the emissions junk) and I could never go back to gas.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

Thanks for your post--lots of great information. For me, the first question I had to answer about a tow vehicle was whether I wanted a pickup. I didn't want to buy a dedicated tow vehicle--whatever I purchased would have to serve as my daily driver as well as my tow vehicle. I already had an old air-cooled Porsche 911 and I didn't want to fill our three-car garage without providing room for my wife's car!

Since the early 1990's, I've driven Audi sedans with a couple of VW's thrown in. I drove a number of pickups while shopping for a tow vehicle and decided that I didn't want to drive a pickup every day. The Touareg is still big and unwieldy compared to the Audi I traded (and even more so than my '86 911), but it provides comfort and handling that is significantly better than a pickup, in my opinion.

Having owned German cars for decades and having used an Audi/VW dealer for service, I agree that the cost of maintenance and repairs can be daunting. In my early years of Audi ownership, I traded when the warranty expired. However, the quality and reliability of the Audi's and VW's have improved significantly over the years. While I haven't driven any of these cars more than 100,000 miles, I haven't had any significant repairs on any of these cars for 10+ years.

The link you provided in your post pointed to information from a buying guide for the second-generation Touareg--it was specifically related to a buying guide for the 2009-2010 Touareg. Here's some information from a Motor Trend review of the 2013 Touareg. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/volkswagen/

"While the first-generation Touareg (2004-2010) came with intriguing tech such as 4XMotion four-wheel drive (with low range!) and 4-Corner Air Suspension with Continuous Damping Control, the second-gen (2011-current) boasts items of interest such as VW’s first (but not only) production hybrid powertrain and an enormous panoramic sunroof (standard on Lux trim). Carried over from Gen 1 to Gen 2 is the optional 3.0-liter turbodiesel V-6 replete with a meaty 406 lb-ft of torque and 7716-pound tow rating. We recently hosted a 2013 Touareg TDI, now rated for 240 horsepower (up from the previous 225 hp) courtesy of exciting efficiency enhancements including friction reduction, lighter pistons and connecting rods, separate cooling cycles for the cylinder heads and block, an optimized timing chain cycle, and a water pump able to disengage itself to decrease engine drag. These lessons learned will likely trickle into other VW engines. And yes, selective catalytic reduction is used, so the diesel exhaust fluid (“AdBlue” to VW) level will need to be minded and topped off. (The filler location is in the spare-wheel well.)"

VW has apparently had some issues with timing chain tensioners, but I don't think the problems apply to the diesel engine in my 2015 Touareg TDI. A class-action lawsuit was filed a couple of days ago in New Jersey relating to timing chain tensioners. The Touareg models involved are 2008-2013.

I plan to visit with the service manager at my VW dealership after reading your post. I want to make sure that the timing chain tensioners are checked (assuming that this can be done during normal maintenance).

Your comments about driving in the west are accurate. For me, it's a matter of assessing the risk and comparing the risk to the benefits of driving what I want to drive. I left home (Iowa City, Iowa area) in early October last year in my '86 Porsche 911. I left I-80 in Grand Island, NE and drove through the Sandhills of NE (where getting anything but a Big-3 pickup serviced or repaired would be a problem) and then drove into the Black Hills in SD. I knew that I was taking a risk if I experienced mechanical issues, but the joy of driving the 911 through the Sandhills and Black Hills was more than enough to allow me to accept the risk. I feel the same way about the experience of towing with the Touareg compared to towing with a pickup--but that's purely a personal preference.

• Thanks 1

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Fellow Ollie Cousins:

I now have a new truck...TV...and it's...drum roll please.

Nissan Titan xd....drove it home tonight...you can feel the torque, it's quite comfortable.

it sits higher that Ole Rustie (94 c2500), but is also essentially a heavy half ton, which i simply love its engineering.  By mostly coincidence, it matches up to the Ollie's color scheme (gray, white, a touch of black)...although that was kind of an accident too (i didn't call Anita quickly enough to get my custom..i delayed my decision.. my bad.

but, although i had to sell he wife's good femur...it's worth it ;)

Diesel baby.

OF course, the price will now drop 5K, but i paid a little south of list...so not horrible.  It will make the Ollie adventures more enjoyable though, and it has A/C for the chairs...which is horrible selfishness...but i'm looking forward to more roadtrips with it :)

• Thanks 1

Hey B, i'm similarly wired...i bought my Ollie without ever having seen one in person...i research...a lot...but i did buy my truck locally, which should help with the service..but they provided me a fair price I think, and a young kid made some coin..so i'm cool with that.

thanks everybody for the advice.

i'm a big feller, so i sat in some trucks.  the ford i sat in wasn't a good fit for me, and i did like the GMC quite a bit.  but i liked the Nissan best, the controls were oddly simpler and less complex, which suits me.  Good Human Factors design.

Hey Buzzy,

Went with my instinct after quite a lot of research and analysis..bordering on pathological ;).  very happy w/ my TV...

very happy w/ my TV…

Cool, I hope you enjoy your new truck. I am really interested in owner feedback for this new Cummins engine. Please post some updates as you get some miles on it. I would love to see this engine offered in the lighter duty Ram pickups, especially a Power Wagon, but I think that will never happen. The new Titan seems to be a very nice choice, with good build quality.

I _strongly_ suggest that you always use a high quality diesel fuel treatment; if you want a recommendation let me know. And swap out the fuel filter for a better one, if necessary, 5 microns or finer. I don't know the micron rating of the OEM one. A Cummins will run forever if you keep it happy with very clean fuel and air. The OEM Mopar filters for the old 5.9 are not the greatest. It would be good to find out if the new filters will cross reference to the Cummins 6.7 filters. That would open up a lot of possibilities. Genos Garage is a great resource, but they don't show anything yet for your motor.

Whatever you decide, be sure to put together a travel break-down kit, with at least a new engine air filter, fuel filter, serpentine belt, serpentine tensioner(s), and whatever else the Titan forums recommend. As a Beta tester, you probably understand better than I that OEM and aftermarket engine parts will not be real common for this new V8 for a few years.

This is off topic:

I see you have a Hobie kayak, how do you plan to carry it? Roof rack? What type?

I have been really interested in the Hobie Tandem Island, but at almost 19 feet long, transport while towing a travel trailer is an issue since it is as long as my truck. It would require a custom roof rack for my Ram 3500 5.9 crew cab short bed with Leer canopy, maybe an "outside the cap" external construction ladder rack along with the Hobie cradles? Any advice?

These are very cool: .... http://ryderracks.com/ladder-racks/  ....  just don't let salt water drip on your truck!

Enjoy your new toy.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks boys, appreciate the good words and advice, as always.  I like that break down kit.

I put Sea Foam in my gassers and my tractors every fillup on the road, and every 1/4 (about) in my local area w/ trusted gasoline. I even put it in my 94 Chevy Heavy half, which still runs good (for sale :) $2950, and that beauty is yours...).

I'm looking for a good rack for it.  its an Oddysey, 3 seater, 1 seater, 2 seater, depending on your preference and how many vegetarians you're haulling :)

Cool, stay well.

Vector

• 2 weeks later...

well, my hitch is a touch high.  love the truck, but have to get  an even or a drop hitch.  what's the best height after the trailer is even.  The good Oliver folks said 23.5 to 25 inch ball height before attachment.  the XD just doesn't drop enough for that. i think i need to drop another 1.5 inches, maybe two.

So far the Cummins is good, just a couple weeks of driving. i'll be towing it this week on a trip.  First trip w/ the Oliver.  Mechanics I know and the manual says to limit biodiesel and to use a cetane booster.  Mr. Davies, please tell me which you recommend, i bought some Kleen or the time being.  Really happy w/ the XD though.  Earlier when I was testing it out w/ the trailer and put it into Tow mode, the kept the RPM's up  a bit...i think it would probably tow fine in regular mode.  Love the upgraded brake controller/integrated. That's nice.

i know   a guy w/ a Dodge 3500 Cummins and he deleted and retuned it and put a huge air intake on it...a monster.  He greatly improved his gas mileage, but then he broke his transmission, twice.  He was out around $5K or the fixes, but improved his MPG...   :)

Cool, stay in touch.

Vector

• Thanks 1

Mr. Davies, please tell me which you recommend, i bought some Kleen or the time being.  

Please call me John .. here is what I unconditionally recommend for both gas and diesel engines.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ar6200-Modification-Complex-Treats-Gallons/dp/B005WWO7YQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1467557655&sr=1-3&keywords=Archoil

I have been using it for three years and I think it is a very fine additive for all diesels, as do most of the enthusiast forums. It is expensive per bottle  but you only use 1/2 ounce per 40 gallons routinely. That is about 6 cents per gallon treated.  I typically add 10 ml per 25 gallon fill up. It has an easy to use graduated dispenser showing milliliters. I buy the 16 ounce bottle, but this smaller one would be a good choice to test on your Titan.

The main reason I use it is to add lubricity to the fuel. The newer low sulfur fuel is hard on fuel pumps and this helps keep that expensive part happy. The other benefits are just a bonus for me...

Archoil's friction modifier oil treatment  is amazing, and it absolutely cures the chronic sticky injector/ rough idle/ slow start issues that the Powerstroke 6.0 suffers from. It has injectors operated by high pressure engine oil and normally they do not stay working.

Their fuel system cleaner is basically concentrated AR6200 and you can duplicate the effect by double dosing. I added the fuel treatment to my Outback XT (turbo) that had a stumbling and power loss issue, from bad gas I suspected. I did not add any extra fuel. Within 20 minutes it smoothed out and ran fine. I was very impressed.

http://www.archoil.com

Google Archoil or search Cumminsforum.com and after 15 minutes reading I think you will be convinced. I researched this very well and I think you will like it.

Enjoy your new truck. We need pictures.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

Hey John,

Sweet, i'll have to get me some of that.  Maybe i'll throw it in the Kubota too...

You shall have pictures, hopefully i'll get some online next week, wanting a nice, foggy backdrop w/ the Truck (name under development).

i'll order some of that ArchOil on my next Amazon Purchase.. sweet, and thank you...

Live well friends.

Vector

John, I always wonder what's in that stuff to get those kind of results. I notices reading the reviews, most guys were using it in diesel engines, would it have the same results in a gas engine? I have a Durango with 5.7 Hemi.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

John, I always wonder what’s in that stuff to get those kind of results. I notices reading the reviews, most guys were using it in diesel engines, would it have the same results in a gas engine? I have a Durango with 5.7 Hemi. Stan

It depends on the problem. As I mentioned, it cured my Subaru's poor running in less than half an hour. It sounds like it is snake oil but it is worth trying before attempting expensive repairs. Injectors or carbs routinely get plugged up with deposits. This should correct that. There are lots of comments from people who add it to a poorly running generator or lawn mower and it smooths out very quickly. I don't think everybody is lying .... I have seen great results. Just try some.

Here is an interesting video about Ford 6.7 diesels. What blows my mind is how much cleaner the exhaust system stays, including those failure prone and supr expensive particle filters. I know this is really off topic, should we start a new thread about this?

John Davies

Spokane WA

the loloho guy uses it in his Ford Diesel ...he pulls an Airstream, but he had mentioned it and has a video also.  i'd forgotten that.

http://longlonghoneymoon.com/2016/01/review-archoil-diesel-magic-juice/

Well, just did a 5 day, 4 night trip to the heart of Ozark country, canoeing on the North Fork of the White River, then going to Johnson's Shut-Ins , Taum Sauk Mountain, Elephant Rocks...anyway, this country is quite hilly and narrow.  The place i camped on the N. Fork required a bit of clearance and the XD-Oliver combination was right on task...just doing great.  The Oliver's narrower footprint than many boxier RV's was quite helpful also.  So, the mileage question..My estimated average load was ~6200 (guess), I pulled ~ 95% of the time, and the topography was windy and hilly (to very hilly) ~90% of the time (we were driving some back, back little roads much of the time).  The A/C was on 99% of the time.  and i averaged 12.6 mpg.  i'm gonna say i'm quite happy w/ that.

• Thanks 1

Well, just did a 5 day, 4 night trip to the heart of Ozark country, canoeing on the North Fork of the White River, then going to Johnson's Shut-Ins , Taum Sauk Mountain, Elephant Rocks...anyway, this country is quite hilly and narrow.  The place i camped on the N. Fork required a bit of clearance and the XD-Oliver combination was right on task...just doing great.  The Oliver's narrower footprint than many boxier RV's was quite helpful also.  So, the mileage question..My estimated average load was ~6200 (guess), I pulled ~ 95% of the time, and the topography was windy and hilly (to very hilly) ~90% of the time (we were driving some back, back little roads much of the time).  The A/C was on 99% of the time.  and i averaged 12.6 mpg.  i'm gonna say i'm quite happy w/ that.

Ollie was great, tracked great.  Very happy that i got the rear view camera..that was handy.

No complaints about the Ollie. We weathered a big storm...and i slept like a baby.  Wife was a touch worried, but she said the Ollie held up great.

Probably proudest of my little 7 year old boy canoeing 12 miles with me through a few shoals and the falls on the N. Fork.  Good times.

I haven't got the Arch Oil stuff yet, but it is on my list.

I am super glad i got the diesel, the gearing and the torque have a lot of what i call "carry through" so you can let the engine operate and your need to brake seems to be less than a gasser, at least that's my opinion.

okay,  more yard work awaits.

Vector

Sounds like a great trip!  Glad to hear you're happy with your Nissan pickup.  You'll have to take your 7-year old north sometime to canoe the Boundary Waters.

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map