ROKU Streaming Video anyone?

DavePhelps

I have been trying to figure out how to stream video in our Ollie while at home and have unlimited bandwidth using our home wifi.

The ROKU streaming system looks pretty good but I have questions for anyone who has used this or other streaming devices.

1. Will it work on a 12 volt TV? There will be 120V AC available as we are parked at home and our Ollie is plugged in, but the TV is still 12 volt.

2. Our Jensen TV has only 1 HDMI jack. This jack is being used to connect the TV to the Furrion (my best guess). The ROKU device needs a HDMI jack on the TV for the best picture. Can I use a 1:2 HDMI splitter to get the needed two inputs? As far as I can tell, ROKU has no customer service person to talk to....

Having our trailer at home is like having a small addition put on our house. It has been as great to have at home as on the road, well, almost!! If I get Netflix in there, I may never come out, LOL!

Dave

• Thanks 2

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

• Moderators

Dave, I am trying to figure out the best solution as well.  On our trip home we wanted to watch the Spurs/Thunder NBA playoff game (we are just a little bit San Antonio Spurs fans).  The only way I could get it to work, since it wasn't broadcasted, was to hook up my Apple TV into the HDMI on the TV, which meant unplugging the Furion.  I got the game on the ESPN app on my iPhone and streamed it to the Apple TV hooked up to the TV.  I haven't had time to work on it, but I'm wondering what ports are on the back of the Furion.  I'd like to hook up an Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV.

Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

You can get an HDMI splitter from Amazon, an A/B box switcher. I got this one for use at home, and it works great. http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD8024-Bi-Directional-Switcher-Passthrough/dp/B00LFX1UDM

You run a short HDMI cable from the TV to the Splitter, and then insert two cables into the splitter. This splitter does need a separate power source. They also have some HDMI splitters with remotes.

David

• Thanks 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Mike, I thought about seeing if there was an extra HDMI jack on the back of the Furion. Not sure if the Roku would work if it was plugged in there, but it would be worth a try. There is another thread going on with some folks having some wiring issues with their Furion and they had to pull it to make the fix. I'll check with them and see if they noticed an extra HDMI input there. If a splitter would work on the TV, that would be the easiest.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave, thanks for that link. My question about splitters like that is that is that they seem to switch between one HDMI or the other. On the Oliver the one HDMI on the TV goes to the Furion which controls the sound through the 4 speakers. It seems like I would need both HDMI's to work at the same time. One providing the streaming input signal to the TV, and the other sending the sound to the Furion. Is this not the case? I'm not all so savvy with this electronic stuff....

Dave

Dave, I was also concerned that the HDMI output from the TV would be used to send the audio to the Furrion and the Speakers. But I looked at the thread about Sound From the TV, and it sounds like there are separate Audio Output cables from the TV. How many cables are attached to the back of your TV?

Dave, it seems that you are correct. I thought the HDMI ruled everything. I have 4 AV cables attached to my TV (2 bundles of three cables each, with only two cables of each bundle being used. The odd third cable is unused and just hanging there) The one bundle goes up to the overhead storage compartment for whatever AV device one may want to add. The other bundle must go to the Furrion.  I spoke with Tommy at Oliver and he confirmed that sound is transmitted through those cables from the TV to the Furrion. So perhaps a switched splitter like the one you mentioned would work. I'll give it a go and report back. Thanks.

Dave

Dave, one last question. On the HDMI switch you referenced, how did you wire it up? I'm having a hard time figuring what is the input and what is the output....ugh..  It seems like I need two inputs (Furrion and Roku) and one output (TV) Is that how you set yours up? These HDMI switches seem to be set up for one input and two outputs....unless the input/output configuration is also programmable.  This stuff makes me a little crazy.

Dave

I have two Rokus at home and have used them almost exclusively for TV the last two years.  I refuse to pay for cable TV.

You will need shore power, or an inverter for the roku.  Even a small stand alone inverter will work.

My units have HDMI pluse the red yellow white outputs.  See if your TV has either of those and you are in business.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Dave, one last question. On the HDMI switch you referenced, how did you wire it up? I’m having a hard time figuring what is the input and what is the output….ugh..  It seems like I need two inputs (Furrion and Roku) and one output (TV) Is that how you set yours up?

The first picture on Amazon shows two HDMI inputs, i.e. for the Furrion and the Roku. On the other side of the unit is one output HDMI (see third picture on Amazon. You push the button on top and it switches between input 1 and 2. There is a light above the numbers 1 and 2, and the input that is active has its light on.

• Thanks 1

hi dave(s),

it is very confusing and not very intuitive!!  we are still learning the A/V entertainment system and between Ken and I, we are slowly but surely figuring things out (both from reading forums and researching on the internet).  it's like a logic puzzle and any bit of information we can find potentially leads us to a solution:)  part of our troubleshooting process was remembering the following "pieces" of the puzzle:

FURRION RECEIVER

1. think of it as a go-between controller for any input from auxiliary devices that you would like to have audio transmitted through to the speakers in the trailer.

a. AM/FM radio via antenna on FURRION RECEIVER transmits audio to speakers (select AM/FM on FURRION RECEIVER).

2. it also can output from a USB stick or DVD inserted into the FURRION RECEIVER (select DVD/USB on FURRION RECEIVER).

a. audio (i.e. MP3 music) from a USB stick can be played through the speakers.

b. video from a DVD inserted into the FURRION should play with audio through the speakers with video to the JENSEN MONITOR.

c. video (i.e. MP4 video) from a USB stick (hypothetically) can be played from the FURRION with audio from the speakers and video to the JENSEN monitor.  (this was tested unsuccessfuly by both OTT on delivery day and ourselves, but will need more troubleshooting to make it happen successfully.)

JENSEN MONITOR/TV

1. Video is shown on the monitor but it needs video input.

a. examples of input:

1) television antenna

2) satellite receiver

3) dvd/blu-ray player

4) roku player/apple tv/amazon fire, etc...

2. Audio is transmitted through the JENSEN's own internal speakers but if you would like improved sounding audio from the trailer speakers you need to connect the JENSEN MONITOR using a/v cable output from the JENSEN MONITOR into the FURRION RECEIVER auxiliary input (select AUX on FURRION RECEIVER).

3. CABLES

a. standard A/V cables are color coded:

1) yellow = video

2) red = right audio

3) white = left audio

b. HDMI (make sure HDMI input is selected when using this cable to play video on the JENSEN MONITOR)

1) High definition connection from a source to the monitor

a) satellite tv

b) roku, etc.

using these basic principles this is how we were able to troubleshoot the sound not coming through our TV to the trailer speakers.  see topic thread:

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/video-how-to-get-sound-from-tv-through-stereo-speakers/

(since your video input is from the HDMI cable, that is why you have the extra 3rd (presumably yellow(video)?) cable hanging your from your monitor, not being used)

ROKU thoughts

in your particular situation, i'm guessing the the HDMI cable currently in place is from the satellite tv receiver?  that's just purely a guess because i don't know if you have satellite tv.  we don't and that's why we don't have an HDMI cable in our JENSEN monitor currently.

since there is only one HDMI port on the monitor, the splitter sounds like the best option for keeping BOTH your satellite tv and roku connected at once, but an easier option is just unplugging the current HDMI cable (presumedly from the satellite receiver) and hooking up your roku when you want to use it.  you won't ever be watching both satellite tv AND roku at the same time (i assume you'd need a picture-in a-picture feature on the monitor to do that...).

AAAAHHHHH, IT'S ENOUGH TO MAKE ANYONE GO MAD!!  but with a little help from our friends here in the forum, i'm sure we can make it all work out, yay!

tina and ken

p.s. in response to the splitter question above:

the two inputs would be the satellite tv and roku with the output to the JENSEN MONITOR.  the switch would basically be an option to flip to the satellite TV or the ROKU.  keep in mind that this switch needing an extra power source means another cable threaded up to a power outlet and one more power outlet being used!

• Thanks 2

Wow, thanks everyone for your replies and knowledge. I ordered the Roku Stick and the HDMI switch that DavidS linked above. The stick works best when powered but comes with a wall adapter for 120V AC, or it can plug into a USB port (there happens to be one on my Jenson TV) if you want to plug the stick (looks like a memory key) right into the TV. Here's the link:

https://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick

Tina and Ken, thanks for your input. You are right the Yellow video cable is not attached to the TV. Instead, I guess the HDMI is doing the video. We don't have satellite or any other antennas or video options. I plan to mount the HDMI switch in the overhead storage bin, probably velcroed to the wall. Then I'll hook it all up and see what happens! I'll for sure let everyone know how it all goes. I've been on a steep learning curve with this, our first travel trailer. It's great that there are so many folks out there willing to share their knowledge and experiences. As more Olivers get out there, we're going to have a nice little family over here!

Thanks again.

Dave

• Thanks 1

dave,

i'm so glad you started this thread because it's really helped me (tina) personally to understand the configuration of the entertainment system.  after reading you reply above (about not having a satellite tv), talking to ken tonight (about our lack of video from the USB in the FURRION) and hearing that there is a HDMI port on the back of the FURRION, my second attempted guess at what the your current HDMI cable (from the JENSEN to the FURRION) is doing is providing the video output for the FURRION DVD player/USB function???

this may be why we aren't getting video from a USB stick?  or not.

we store our OTT off premises so there's no real way to jump into our OTT tonight to check this hypothesis out but next time we're there we'll test video from the FURRION DVD/USB option again by double checking again to see if HDMI is even connected in our trailer!!

FYI, we did get the TV antenna option installed during our delivery and we get pretty great reception each time we've camped.  most of our time camping is currently for short weekend trips but for our next long venture out, we'll probably try the roku stick for the trailer - we have one at home and absolutely love it!

thanks so much for your posts and comments, we're climbing that steep curve with you and glad to have company along the way:)

• Thanks 1

p.s. in response to the splitter question above: the two inputs would be the satellite tv and roku with the output to the JENSEN MONITOR.  the switch would basically be an option to flip to the satellite TV or the ROKU.  keep in mind that this switch needing an extra power source means another cable threaded up to a power outlet and one more power outlet being used!

Actually the Fosmon splitter I linked to does not need power. It must get enough power from the HDMI cable to light the bulb displaying which input is connected.

There are other splitters that have a remote control, but those need external power.

Tina and Ken,

I'm surprised you have no HDMI cable connecting your TV to the Furrion. My trailer was produced late in 2015. It would not be too hard to run a cable if you need to. If you pull the mats out of the overhead bins aft of the Furrion, there is a wire chase in there that runs to the back of the trailer. Pretty sure a HDMI cable would nestle in there. You would also have to pull out your Furrion to plug it in, and temporarily remove/replace the side panels in the rear overhead bin for access (2 screws secure each panel on my Elite). Tommy Staggs told me that the HDMI is indeed transmitting all video from the Furrion to the TV. Whether or not HDMI is a requirement for video from the USB input on the Furrion, I do not know. We have played DVD's and CD's on the Furrion but nothing else yet. Folks were/are having troubles playing their MP3's through the USB on the Furrion. There's a chat about that somewhere on the forum. I'd talk to Tommy about what is or isn't working for you as he seems to be the most knowledgeable. Though there may be some other A/V wizards over there. It does seem like the installers need to up their game a bit, but I'm sure OTT will get that sorted out fast.

DavidS,

Right, the Fosmon splitter requires no additional power. I will, however, plug the Roku into the 120V AC outlet (with included adapter) that is already located in the rear upper bin.

Might take a week or so for the order to arrive and once I get it all hooked up, I'll post the results. Hopefully, I'll be smiling...!

Dave

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

While on our trip back from Tennessee we watched broadcast TV, watched a DVD, streamed MP3's Bluetooth and watched a Spurs game by disconnecting the Furion and replacing with the Apple TV.  Those functions worked well.  I'm also interested in the HDMI splitter and will be interested in how it works.

Mike

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

tommy has been great for us to work with on a separate issue regarding our battery disconnect (another story for another thread).  suffice to say we got great customer service to resolve a minor issue and even got a fix locally (warranty work billed directly from vendor to OTT) after walking ken through some initial troubleshooting steps.

part of me hopes that we just overlooked our HDMI cable by not looking in the correct place because that would mean another layer to our AV cable problem discussed in the other thread http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/video-how-to-get-sound-from-tv-through-stereo-speakers/page/2/#post-34562.

basically the cables were installed incorrectly and a missing HDMI cable would be a bummer for sure!  we'll do another check next time we're in our trailer, fingers crossed that it was just an oversight:)

Like Buzzy, I am an inveterate reader of instruction manuals. When Buzzy provided a link to the OTT manual here (http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/buzzys-delivery-day/#post-34684) [Thanks Buzzy!), I went to work. The OTT manual includes the owners guide for a Jensen JE2412LED TV, and it says that the Jensen JE2412LED has TWO HDMI inputs. Hmm.

• Moderators
Like Buzzy, I am an inveterate reader of instruction manuals. When Buzzy provided a link to the OTT manual here (http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/buzzys-delivery-day/#post-34684) [Thanks Buzzy!), I went to work. The OTT manual includes the owners guide for a Jensen JE2412LED TV, and it says that the Jensen JE2412LED has TWO HDMI inputs. Hmm.

David, that's good news.  I'm going to check my manual tonight.  If there are two HDMI inputs, then I can connect either my Apple TV or Amazon Fire directly.  I just need to feed the cable down from the upper back storage area.  We're going to do some things in the trailer this weekend, I'll add this to the list.  Mike

I have the Elite, so maybe it has a smaller TV than the larger Elite2.

I have 1 HDMI, 1 USB, and 1 VGA input on the bottom of the TV. The HDMI switch and associated parts are coming today so I'll post what happens when I get it all figured out, probably next week sometime as we have family in town.

The Owners Manual has been of mixed help to us. Some of the info is not up to date and while I have learned some good stuff in there and think it is worthwhile to go through, when it comes to troubleshooting problems, I think you're best getting the model # of the appliance and going straight to their website.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Well all right, I have some good news to report. I hooked up my Roku streaming stick (3600) and it works beautifully.

The entire install took less than 20 minutes. Getting logged on and setup was about an hour and was a bit more frustrating, but got it figured out eventually. More tech savvy folks could probably do it faster.

I ordered the Fosmon HDMI switch that DavidS referenced above.  It's only 2" square. I also ordered an extra 3' HDMI cable to connect the Fosmon to the TV. I originally was going to install it in the overhead bin as there is a plug in there and easy access to the TV. After reading the instructions for the Roku, they mentioned for best results, not to place it inside a cabinet as this would reduce reception. I was also nervous about putting it in there anyway because of heat buildup and because we keep a lot of our clothing up there. So looking around, I decided to put it on the wall between the window and the TV. Fits perfect in there and is not so noticeable. It is also easy to switch between the Roku and the Furrion unit in this location. I velcroed it to the wall. Very solid.

Hookup was easy once I got what was going on, thanks to posters here. Furrion (the HDMI that is currently connected to the TV) and Roku on the two input side . TV (the new cable I bought) on the output side. The Roku is powered by a USB cable that comes out of the end of the Roku and then plugs into the unused (thankfully) USB port on the TV. When the TV gets turned on, the Roku powers up. There is also a 120V adapter included if you want to power the Roku from a standard wall outlet for different locations.

Can now play DVD when the Fosmon is switched to the Furrion (set TV remote>source>HDMI). Stream Netflix, Fosmon switched to Roku, (TV remote>source>HDMI). Or watch over air TV broadcasts via antenna, Fosmon switched to either Furrion or HDMI, doesn't seem to matter (TV remote>source>TV).

All audio comes via the AV cables (on my rig) and was not affected by the add on whatsoever.

One last thought. If you have the Wifi Ranger, you need to log in your Roku through this device with the password you created for it. Don't try using your home wifi password, it won't work. Thanks for everyone's help with this. If you're thinking about this add on, I would recommend it. We won't be watching much TV, if any, while boondocking, but when parked at home, and when at more "civilized" campgrounds, this will be a very nice option.

Dave

jnuaf0l87ll0w8wfrzedo7k9vfga512f.jpg.bbd476773c1f1929aa053871f87eb0a3.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

I think I start with the same setup you have.  No satellite TV in my Ollie but I do have an antenna for local channels.  I've read your post and looked at the photos and I found all of the components on Amazon except the extra 3' HDMI cable.  Is this the standard HDMI A Male to Male cable?  I'm leaving on Friday for another extended trip:  Niobrara State Park in Nebraska, Nebraska Star Party in the Sandhills of Nebraska, and Grand Teton National Park.  I can order things today from Amazon and have them on Wednesday.  Should give me adequate time to get this all hooked up.  Hope you can confirm that all I need is this standard HDMI cable.

Thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread--excellent information.

Don

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

Hey, Dave,

I spent a little more time looking at your post and photos and figured it out.  All the stuff should arrive on Wednesday and I don't leave until Friday.  Again, thanks so much for the information!

Don

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map