Sign in to follow this  
wave1127

trailer life article: hidden storage feature

yumifts3y75mgd8fqoy58qt9fd9t6zfv.jpg.bb546a7f6768fc3458bd4538bd7710e5.jpg

we did not upgrade to the fiber granite so instead have a wood top equivalent in the picture above (from the trailer life article).  our last trip to the trailer (stowed offsite) our wood top did not lift up to reveal hidden storage.  just curious: for all the fiber granite option trailers do you have that hidden storage  feature on your trailer?

thanks so much in advance,

tina

Yes, although after that article it's apparently no longer hidden.  ;-)

Ed and Marsha

Legacy Elite II, Hull #85

Ford F150 Lariat

Yes, we do.  In the other area as well.  I wish the Trailer Life article would have not mentioned it!  Both storage areas are quite handy.  Mike

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

I wish the Trailer Life article would have not mentioned it!  

just curious as to why you didn't want them to mention it?  i wonder why the wood top would not have the same storage feature?  maybe not as easy to secure with velcro?  ken seems to think that hidden storage area is where it is.  any wood top owners who have the storage feature by any chance?

Indeed, the area below the "hidden" area (on the outside) is where it resides.  I have the fiber-granite and found that the first time I tried to remove the thingy to get to the "hidden" area, it was a real bear.  I would find it a bit puzzling that the mold would be changed just because of the countertop.  Perhaps a call to Anita at OTT might give you a bit of clarity as to if your Oliver is different somehow.

Also, I agree with Mike and Carol that I too wish Trailer Life had not mentioned these "hidden" areas.  I know of at least two Elite II owners that have had a safe placed in one of these, but, I only keep a firearm, spare cash and the like in them.  Now that it is public knowledge I'm guessing that I will have to find other areas for these items.

Bill

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We did not get the granite, do to cost considerations, but wish we could have got the granite around the stove and sink area. We never thought about a mix and match on the granite, and Robert did not offer it. Bummer. We also wanted the wood tops by the microwave and at the pantry. With all the white we wanted to bring in some natural materials for a bit of a balance.

The wood top is just a piece of wood that lifts right up, very easy, and yes it is attached with velcro.

Stan

• Thanks 1

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

I wish the Trailer Life article would have not mentioned it!

just curious as to why you didn’t want them to mention it? i wonder why the wood top would not have the same storage feature? maybe not as easy to secure with velcro? ken seems to think that hidden storage area is where it is. any wood top owners who have the storage feature by any chance?

As Bill points out, it is not obvious that those things can be removed to expose storage.  We keep iPads and some other things in there when we're out and have felt fairly confident that if a break in did occur that those areas would be somewhat "secure".

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

we did not upgrade to the fiber granite so instead have a wood top equivalent in the picture above (from the trailer life article). our last trip to the trailer (stowed offsite) our thingy did not lift up to reveal hidden storage. just curious: for all the fiber granite option trailers do you have that hidden storage feature on your trailer? thanks so much in advance, tina

Tina,

All Legacy Elite II's are formed in the same molds. So if you have wooden top, you too have the "hidden" area beneath.  You may just have to try harder to get the top off.

I agree that it was in poor taste for the magazine to reveal what was meant to be knowledge exclusive to Oliver Owners.  During the build of #50 I requested that another area be made removable like the other hidden area and a little "hidey hole" area be created underneath.  Although I subsequently replaced it with an actual safe that request led to what is now standard in all builds.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge) 2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0026 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0050 2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4 

ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA       ABBCMBNSYTsm.jpg

thank you so much everyone for your insight on this info!  that's very useful information that we hope to try out next visit to the trailer off site. we will "try" to lift up the thingy a bit harder and will research a bit on safes as well while we're at it!

you guys rock!

thanks again,

tina

• Thanks 1

Steve & Tali - so, you are the ones responsible for the "hidey hole".  And now the world knows not only where it resides, but, exactly who is (are) the originator(s).  I find these little "fun facts" interesting and my thanks go out to all that have used their brains figuring out just how to make Olivers more beautiful, practical, and, fun.

I was told, but, I can't remember at the moment who came up with the ides of the "hatch" in order to more easily get to the propane tanks.  However, I do know that the folks at "Technomania" (former Oliver owners) in conjunction with the folks at Oliver came up with the solar system that most of us now use on the Elite II.  If anyone knows of other items of this ilk, please let loose.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

OK Folks - update on who did what - from what I know at this point it appears that Commanche just might be responsible for that propane hatch deal.  Obviously things were a bit slow in Kansas at the time :).

Next time Oliver "lends" a trailer to a magazine they should glue those damn things down permanent.

Maybe a moderator would be kind enough to delete this thread.

Good Luck all.... and hope you never need to find out if your secret storage spot stayed secret.

Scotty

Gregg & Donna Scott and Piper the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Taking scottgs's suggestion and with apologies to wave1127, bill, topgun2 as well as mike and carol, I have altered the image in the original post and changed some of the wording is several posts (including my own) to "obfuscate" the issue.  Any current owners already know where these areas are and potential buyers that become owners will be supplied with that information. Anyone else that does not know where they are probably does not need to know.  I don't feel a need to close the thread, let's all just be a little more vague about these areas and how to access them.

Hope this helps...

• Thanks 3

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge) 2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0026 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0050 2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4 

Steve,

Love the picture!  Thanks for taking the time and effort for doing this "update".

Bill

WOW... I can't wait to get the top loading freezer fully stocked with food option.     :-)

Thanks Steve.  Appreciate the obfuscation.  This should stay in the family as much as possible.

Scotty

• Thanks 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Piper the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

There you go, Mike.

Steve, I am looking forward to the freezer option.

lol

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

okay, I have now tried 7 times to delete some comments above, and it's not happening. Quite frustrating.

One post became 3. And I can't delete. Sorry, guys.

Sherry

UPDATE: Delete is working fine (though very slowly) for me today. Perhaps it was operator error or lack of patience on my part last night.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Sherry,

No problem - perhaps you should try some "cold, hard, cash" from that freezer?

Bill