Let's Drill Some Holes

ScubaRx

• Moderator+

There is almost a universal consensus that the scariest thing concerning modifications to our beautiful, shiny Oliver’s is the thought of (OMG) drilling a hole in the fiberglass. Well, we’re on our second Oliver and I’ll have to admit that the first hole I put into hull # 26 was a frightening thing. Since then, I’ve drilled a bunch of holes in both hull # 26 and hull # 50. Some were tiny and some were pretty darn large. I’ll have to say that the drilling has gotten easier as time has passed.

In the past few weeks I’ve finished a couple of projects that involved some drilling and cutting of fiberglass.

Tali wanted to be able to watch TV while on the road. So, we finally (after two years) got our satellite dish and receiver up and running. The only logical place to mount the receiver was up in the rear cabinet but with the door closed, the remote and receiver would not be able to communicate so I purchased a powered IR repeater from Amazon. The remote still has to be able to “see” the eye of the repeater so it needed to be mounted outside the cabinet. So, there’s gotta be some holes drilled.

tjw0v866jz73zg8kq9qnk8dcnrv8mhq5.jpg.cda8403ccbab9bd1e6603ccb94d01d88.jpg

31eol10fb770mh4qgmlxah6slqywp3oj.jpg.c508577647efc00355ce898533e355de.jpg

Then I got the crazy idea that it would be really cool to use the otherwise wasted space behind the propane tanks for storage of my chocks and blocks. Now I don’t know about the rest of you folks, but I’d sooner eat a frozen possum than to have to take the cover off the front. That sucker is heavy and if you’re height challenged (think Steve and Tali), it becomes a two person job. There had to be an easier way to access that area. Yep, more holes.

yasppbshu9b1kwiho3p48izicq85zrto.thumb.jpg.65139b0394abfe6b793f5cc2b77312e3.jpg

Don’t be scared to drill a hole now and then. Just make sure you know what’s on the other side of where you’re drilling and you’ll be fine. And remember this, don’t ever drill down into the floor and through the top of the fresh water tank, it will ruin an otherwise perfectly good day. Trust me on this.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Steve, your an inspiration to us all. I've yet to attempt doing, yup scares the hell out of me, never having worked with fiberglass I've been researching proper procedures, the most prevalent is drill in reverse. Is this the way you do it?  Seeing that jigsaw in your hand really shocked me, I've been a cabinet maker and know the edge destruction they can do, what type of blade are you using there?

Any chance of you doing a video on your next project?

Thanks

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

Steve, I stand by my previous suggestion that Oliver put you on their payroll!  I also really like the propane tank mod, it makes a lot of sense.  I'm always thinking about mods that would be good, you actually get the tools out and do it.  Thanks!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

...never having worked with fiberglass I’ve been researching proper procedures, the most prevalent is drill in reverse. Is this the way you do it? Seeing that jigsaw in your hand really shocked me, I’ve been a cabinet maker and know the edge destruction they can do, what type of blade are you using there? Any chance of you doing a video on your next project?...

The drill is in the forward direction, the interior thicknesses are such that it would be virtually impossible to worry through in reverse.  The edge destruction is evident in some of the first pics but it is mostly on the backside of the cut. I've never drilled/cut a hole that I didn't intend to cover the edges somehow. If you think about it, the only raw edge from the factory is on the upper shell at the belly band and they use some kind of a router setup to cut it after the two halves are mated. The blade I used is just a fine toothed metal cutting blade. I've found the key to using the hole saws is to drill your pilot hole first. This prevents the drill in the hole saw from grabbing and jerking the saw rapidly into the fiberglass.  That will always shatter the edges.  Just let the the saw get a smooth bite and then work on through with a slow steady forward motion at full speed on the drill.

Taking a video of one of my projects would require my very able helper (Tali) to really have to multi-task as I've usually got her playing "surgeon's assistant" handing me the various tools and bits that I need.  We do try to take lots of pics as we go.

As always, I'm happy to assist with any info/advice anyone may want, would not want you to ruin an otherwise perfectly good day.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Steve and Tali,

I used an adjustable hole saw to cut a 4 inch hole - that carbide tipped saw was toast when I was done.  I'm guessing that regular hole saws are better, but, that glass sure is tough stuff.

Did you "do" both sides for access to the chocks or just the curbside?  Also, I assume that you got the door and hardware from OTT?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+
Steve and Tali, Did you “do” both sides for access to the chocks or just the curbside? Also, I assume that you got the door and hardware from OTT? Bill

Bill,

We did do both sides and the doors were provided by Oliver.  We also installed the expanded wire bottom after moving the propane tanks forward about an inch or so.