Possible to Change Twin Bed Layout to King Bed

RobertH

Hello all,

I noticed that there is a Twin Bed model up forsale and I am looking for a Legacy Elite II king.  I cant tell from the pictures but I know many of you on the forum have the twin bed layout.  I wanted to know if it is possible to remove the nightstand between the two beds?  Is it screwed down into place or actually molded in place?

Also is the night stand really the only difference between the two layouts?

Any advice would be great.  My wife and I would pretty much set the bed up to be down 100% of time as I have a bad back and we would be using a sleep number bed.  That being said is there any worry about having to access anything under the bed?  Circuit breakers and such?

Thanks

Robert,

We have the king model, so don't know about the night stand, but there are hatches on both sides that you need access to, one side had the water pump and valves and hot water heater, and the other side has the major electrical connections, although the circuit breakers are under the dinette seat. There's not many times you need to get to the electrical side, but you do need to get to the water valves when winterizing or just to drain the fresh water tank.

When we travel we keep the bed down all the time, and it's not a problem to get to the hatches if need be, but then we use the standard cushions for a mattress. So far we have about 60 nights in the trailer and it's been just fine.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

Yes, the nightstand can be removed as well as the "twin bed extensions" that hold the twin bed mattresses in place.  I'm not sure just how the nightstand is attached, but, the extensions are held in place by what look to be fairly large rivets.  Back before I received delivery I asked the very same question that you are and Anita (at Oliver) told me that the conversion would be no problem at all.

Hope this helps.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill,

Thanks for the reply.  Hopefully this catches someone that is in their Ollie and can post a picture.  I have a hard time picturing the twin bed extensions you are talking about.  Im curious if the conversion Anita was talking about would have to be done by the factory or if it is as easy as removing a few screws/bolts from the inside of the nightstand by removing the drawer.

Im hoping its as easy as that and wouldnt require a trip the factory.

I run my own business and rarely have any time off other than a 3 or 4 day weekend here or there which is why I worry about getting out there to take delivery.  I guess I could call around to see if there are any delivery companies that could pick up take to factory then deliver out to Oregon.

• Moderators

027qsvxgup7w1it9f4mt9fi886kr702y.jpg.a3eafca43ec1b1f1ec48ac1098f28da9.jpg

Robert,

In the picture above the "extensions" are the white curved pieces that stick out into the aisle (The grey plastic trash bag is touching the one on the right side.

Sorry, but I do not have a picture of  the rivets.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The rivet heads in the twin bed extensions could be drilled out with a bit about the diameter of the rivet shank.

Looks like the nightstand is secured with 90 degree brackets & screws on the interior surfaces and caulked on the exterior seam.

Here's nightstand interior shots:

View from front to rear of camper inside night stand:

View from rear to front of camper inside nightstand:

2015 LE2

Excellent!  Thank you all for the pictures.  It actually looks easy to remove the night stand.  Looks to be 4 brackets and it would come right out.

As for the extensions I wonder if I would even need to bother removing them.  A sleep number bed requires just a platform so it would be as easy as a piece of plywood or something similar across the two to connect it.  I dont think the extensions make it any taller right?  They just come out a bit to make room for the mattress.

The downside is likely the same either way as in access to those connections under the seats but again either way its the same if Im going to place a sleep number bed on it.

• Thanks 1

• Moderator+

RobertH...

Removal of these three components should be a relatively easy do-it-yourself job.  And an added benefit is that if you ever decide to sell, you can offer it as a twin bed/king bed model.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Do you get the table top with the twin model? If you do that connects the 2 sides to make your king size bed. The only think you are missing is the short piece that goes on the front, and I'm sure they could send you that easy enough.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63