Ram truck with Eco diesel

trumpetguy

I am considering a new to me tow vehicle and the Ram 1500 looks like a good fit for our trailers or even larger if needed with a 10,000 tow capacity.

I will appreciate any insight you all may have on this truck.

My chevy 5.3 is the old version with less hp that 2013 and up.  Ok for flat land but she struggles on steep grades.

Regards,

David

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Do your research really well before deciding. There have been a number of complete engine failures: http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/3/28/Why-New-Ecodiesel-Owners-Need-To-Beware-Of-Engine-Failure-7732734/

but OTH they have produced a WHOLE lot of these engines worldwide, and I think they are a good design. OTH I would never own a modern diesel without buying an extended warranty for at least the drivetrain and emissions systems. The emissions are so darned complex and failure prone that you will surely have expensive failures.

If you get all the Ram extras like the cool air ride suspension, be sure to get a bumper to bumper warranty. There are a lot of complicated and interconnected systems in a high end Ram, like active grill shutters. That is how they get the stellar mileage. It makes the truck more prone to nuisance problems.

Diesels do not make good commuters in stop and go traffic.  They need to work hard to be efficient. Steady highway driving is fine. Towing is finer. Stop and go fills up the particle filter (DPF) and requires lots of regenerations to burn them off, which kill your fuel economy.

If you think your driving pattern fits a diesel and you want the wonderful torque, this would be a good choice IMHO. The new Titan XD will do a better job with more power and a better reputation for reliability, but it's 5.0 V8 is a new design that has yet to build a record in the real world. I suggest that you drive one of those and the Ram back to back before deciding. The Ram will pull an Oliver without a sweat, but the Titan will do it more effortlessly, while using a little bit more fuel...

Personally, I would pick a Cummins engine any day, over any other brand. They are brilliant.

In regards to towing capacity, remember that the tongue weight is added to your trucks payload. It is often impossible to tow a max weight trailer without overloading a light duty truck, after you have added all your other stuff in the bed along with passengers and accessories. There is a tow test where the guys used a Power Wagon to haul a max payload up the Ike Gauntlet, but they could not actually use the max amount because the soft springs of the PW would not carry enough payload. Same with a Ram 1500 and a heavy trailer. Be sure you can also load your people and stuff in the truck! I would NEVER attempt to tow over 7000 pounds with a Ram Ecodiesel, unless it was a short trip on flat terrain. That is too much weight for a light duty truck to be safe and reliable. 10,000 pounds? No way Jose! But the Titan could do it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I bought a Dodge Ram 3500 (SRW) new in March 2012 and have presently 40,000 miles on it.  It is by far and away the best vehicle, whether it be car, truck or SUV, that I've owned.  I'm currently getting 16.5 mpg city and 21 mpg highway.  Have had zero issues.  Once I reach the 5 year mark I'll be deleting the DPF system, only for better fuel economy and somewhat better power response.  It is overkill for pulling an Oliver TT but for me I just plain enjoy driving it everywhere.

• Thanks 5

I bought a Dodge Ram 3500 (SRW) new in March 2012

I have an '06 Ram 3500. It is powerful and capable, but it rides much worse than the newer "Gen 4" trucks when unladen. The new  2500 with coil springs or airbags in back would be worth considering if someone wanted to step up from a 1500. They ride _really_ nice empty but can still handle a heavy tongue weight. The 6.2 Hemi engine is great for towing if you want to stay clear of a diesel. I recently drove a new 2016 Power Wagon with the 6.2 and it was plenty nice, though it didn't have any real low end grunt, compared to my Cummins 5.9.... The gas engine likes to rev.

Ram coil suspension

To the O.P. ... Ram is having huge discounts on 2016 models right now. The 2017s are coming this Fall. If you can't find a HD Laramie for $11,000 off MSRP you are not trying. It's a really good time to buy a new truck at a great discount. I've been watching these trucks in Idaho: ....  http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/all-inventory/index.htm?search=Power+wagon&saveFacetState=true&compositeType=&year=2016&make=Ram&model=2500&bodyStyle=&internetPrice=&listingConfigId=AUTO-new%2CAUTO-used&showSelections=true&showInvTotals=false&quick=true&showReset=false&showSubmit=true&searchLinkText=SEARCH&dependencies=model%3Amake%2Ccity%3Aprovince%2Ccity%3Astate&facetbrowseGridUnit=BLANK&facetbrowse=true&suppressAllConditions=compliant&showRadius=false&lastFacetInteracted=

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We were poised to purchase a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel in anticipation of our May delivery in Tennessee-a beautiful vehicle. Our towing experience is limited  and a number of family members and friends (all lifetime truck owners and outdoor enthusiasts) were adamant about the limitations of light duty trucks. After doing the payload math, inclusive of tongue weight and all of the items we intended to travel with, we were rapidly approaching the upper limits of the tow vehicle. The majority of our outings are in the western U.S. with some elevation challenges that impact horse power and torque. We opted for the bigger truck and are pleased that we did. Driving out loaded for the 2000+ miles from CA to TN our mpg was 20.5 . On our return trip, with our proud possession in tow, we made 15.5 mpg without incident and our Oliver was barely noticeable from behind the wheel.

BTW-John's numbers on Ram pricing were spot on in March when we purchased and may be better as the new models are released.

• Thanks 4

Bob and Camille 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull#141

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCATNTXmed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So now I am thinking about a standard cargo van for a tow vehicle.  The GMC or Chevy 2500 can be built with a 6.0 V8 or even a diesel.  It has a 10000 lb. towing capacity.  The attraction is that one can customize it to any degree so I would add some ergonomic recliners, a big screen TV, roof air, cassette potty, beer fridge, and call it the Family room...a place to relax and watch TV, read, etc.  Then retire to the Ollie for sleep.  We just returned from a trip to Dallas without Ollie and it would have been great to have some creature comforts on board.

My thought is as long as we must have a tow vehicle why not make it part of the living experience.

• Thanks 2

We want a pickup truck for a TV ( we currently drive two pickups), so waiting to see all the 2017 model changes to make our final decision.  Would like to be able to take a motorcycle in the back of the pickup and install racks to transport Kayaks, too. My main focus is on gas powered pickups, but will not rule out diesel powered pickups.

Understand the idea about towing the Ollie with a van or class B, could even put a motorcycle in the back of the van, but in the end we will go with a pickup truck. Debbie likes pickups, too!

• Thanks 1

LE2

Buzzy, Thanks!

Currently transport Kayaks on the pickup fiberglass shell with Thule racks. Not planning to install a fiberglass shell on the next pickup.

Like your idea about a Thule rack on the cab with cover over the pickup bed. The Thule racks should work OK on a Crew Cab, too. We want to transport a 500lb motorcycle or bicycles in the rear bed of the pickup.

Like Bob & Camille said, have to keep the TV within the load capacity with  TT tongue weight, too. Also like David's idea about the van, but we will go with a pickup. Been reading about 2017 vehicles, but still rumors on some models about gas/diesel engines and transmissions to be installed.

Here's the Thule racks we currently transport Kayaks with:

• Thanks 1

LE2

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Dodge Ram 3500 (SRW) new in March 2012 and have presently 40,000 miles on it. It is by far and away the best vehicle, whether it be car, truck or SUV, that I’ve owned. I’m currently getting 16.5 mpg city and 21 mpg highway. Have had zero issues. Once I reach the 5 year mark I’ll be deleting the DPF system, only for better fuel economy and somewhat better power response. It is overkill for pulling an Oliver TT but for me I just plain enjoy driving it everywhere.

Same here and I completely agree.  I have a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW and drive it everywhere.  At 78,000 miles I've had no trouble with it.  It tows my Ollie effortlessly and is heavy enough to be completely stable.  Best vehicle I've ever had.

One of the best features while towing is the standard engine brake the Cummins comes with.  Excellent in the mountains!  It will descend long grades without touching the brakes.

• Thanks 2

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• 3 weeks later...

I have settled on a Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi.  This will be a late model (2013-2015) used truch.  A little hard to find but I have time.

The next question is what to cover the bed with...flat or shell?  My Avalanche has hard panels which are great for strapping items such as clam room, lawn chairs, etc. but the inside bed area is limited.

I would appreciate pros and cons for both systems.

David,

We are also looking at how to haul Kayaks and Bicycles with our Toyota Tundra 5.7 four door TV with 6.5' bed.

Our previous TV had a Leer Shell and Thule racks we transported Kayaks with, the shell also worked well keeping animals out and contents dry. The new TV would be closer to 7' tall with shell/rack, giving problems loading Kayaks on a shell/rack combination due to a previous shoulder injury. Like the idea using racks over the pickup bed so I could rest the Kayaks on the tailgate, step up in the bed & load Kayaks on the bed rack.

In another thread, Buzzy posted photos of a removable/locking cover made with hard panels that would keep contents in the dry and could still be removed for transporting bulky items. Like this idea, too.

My idea is to transport bicycles in the back of the pickup and Kayaks on a rack over the pickup bed. This will allow us to transport a mid size motorcycle instead of bicycles in the pickup bed on camping trips.

The Leer shell worked great for camping on our previous TV.  Our Tacoma also has a shell.  Debbie calls our Tacoma a great shopping vehicle, since she can load the bed while shopping keeping everything dry and secure. :)

LE2

I have the flat cover option. I do like being able to “hop” (actually I use a step stool) up into the bed to arrange items. It would also be more difficult for me to load the kayaks onto the cab rack. Hopping up into the bed makes loading the kayaks easy as pie. Buzzy

Buzzy,

That's good to hear. Also looking at the roof rack like you have with removable flat cover bed option. Taking time to to make the best decision.

• Thanks 1

LE2

I forgot to say that my Avi has a bed slide which I would not be without ever again.  You lose a few inches in height but it is so sweet to roll that thing out to reach items stowed toward the front of the truck.