How fast do these pages load in your browser? I need some help here...

I normally use Safari (on an iMac) and they really drag. Typically a new page takes 8 seconds or more to appear, with a hard wired Comcast connection. On my iPad it is about the same over my home wireless network.

With Firefox, it takes 3 to 4 seconds.

With Chrome it is sometimes instantaneous, more often 2 to 3 seconds.

If I make a new post and then edit it, it can often take around 20 to 30 seconds to load for ALL of these browsers.

This is with a fast and solid home connection (88 Mbps download, 6 Mbps upload).

Can some of you with good land or satellite connections please go to speedtest.net and test your connection, then post:

1: download speed

2: upload speed

3: type of connection (cable, satellite, fiber-optic, etc)

3: comments about how fast this forum loads

4: browser(s) you are using. If you have other browsers - especially Safari! - please check them too and post anything interesting.

5: computer or device type you are using

6: Edit your post; see if the load time is longer.

http://www.speedtest.net

I don't really think it's a Safari problem because it does not regularly act this way for any other website. I think there may be something going on at the Oliver end, but I would like some help getting some data before I send their Admin an email asking about it.

Or maybe I will just end up using Chrome for this site..... I could make popcorn in all the time I spend waiting for stuff to happen with Safari...

Thanks for your help.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

It's not you.  Oliver's site has never been the fastest, but the new update has made it really slow, not just the forum, but their entire site.  Mid day, it's excruciatingly slow.  I don't know if they're trying to host the site themselves, but it slow enough to wonder if they are.  Regardless, it's something they should probably prioritize, because it's potentially a real true off to prospective buyers.

I think the difference among your browsers is likely the way they load and display the pages.  Safari tends to wait until it has all the info before it shows the page.

In addition to the load times, I've had issues with posts not posting on Safari Mac, and had to go to my iPad to post.  Conversely, I have a problem on my iPad where Safari won't display anything other than the cached version of the site.

Agreed.  This site has serious performance issues.  It also appears that the site is being hosted.  The site appears to be referencing 'http://myzone1.olivertechnologi.netdna-cdn.com/ for plugins, templates and such.  I think it's also written in Wordpress, but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't think it's a browser issue.

Happiness is seeing Atlanta in your rearview mirror. :-)

Site is done in Wordpress and they use Bluehost.

Wordpress is a decent platform but they are also running a lot of plugins for it as well which the more you run the slower the performance.  Bluehost is a decent hosting server so it isnt sitting on a office server.

They should consider doing something different to improve performance though as looking at just the forum stats it shows the most ever on the forum at a given time was 11.  They have a great product and the future buyers will be expect more from the tech side of the world.

You will get different speeds from browser to browser but its for sure the site and not your system.  I have the exact same performance at home which is 100mb as I do at work which is gigabyte.  Both sadly are close to the original posters speeds.

Configuration is king when it comes to word press so Im sure it will eventually get worked out as long as it is brought up that it is slowing performance.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

quite slow, actually, compared to the old forum standards. 15 seconds for me, this time.

We just got back from a 45 day camping trip. Hadn't tried too many times to load the page, but had weak signal most of the time.We were in remote areas of Canada and Alaska for a month and a half.

I'm sure Matt will work on it.

chrome, btw

Sherry

returning to "recent topics" was way worse. Maybe a minute. Also had trouble editing my posts. Hope you all are doing better.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

My edit loaded today, but I still could not find a way to delete test posts.

My fiber optic connection is 55 mbps download, 52 upload on this mornings speed test. Asus laptop, using Chrome.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I think in deleting my test post, I may have deleted someone else's as well, unintentionally.

My apologies if so. It seems to me there were more posts in this thread yesterday.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

System specs should have little to do with a websites response time.  Honestly you should be able to surf most webpages on a potatoe.  With todays connection speeds being far better than the past it shouldnt be a issue.  In this case the response/speed problems are likely config problems or plugin problems within the wordpress site.   We dont have a ton of active people on the forums so it isnt that bad at this point but if we ever get a very active community I could see them becoming very but for now its ok.  I typically just open another browser and surf other sites that are much more responsive while waiting for each page or topic I click into to load here.

System specs should have little to do with a websites response time. Honestly you should be able to surf most webpages on a potatoe. With todays connection speeds being far better than the past it shouldnt be a issue. In this case the response/speed problems are likely config problems or plugin problems within the wordpress site. We dont have a ton of active people on the forums so it isnt that bad at this point but if we ever get a very active community I could see them becoming very but for now its ok. I typically just open another browser and surf other sites that are much more responsive while waiting for each page or topic I click into to load here.

I agree but its a shame it can't be up to par compared to other web sites.  Its really well laid out and easy to navigate and I visit here almost daily, trying to be like a sponge prior to ordering a new Oliver.

• Moderators

Agreed, Laps. Love the new modern look, and intuitiveness of the new forum mormat. Bringing the old forum to a new home without losing all the legacy posts and photos was a great deal of work for our administrator. I know Matt continues to work on features and efficiency, and he's a very skilled guy. We're still in the infancy of the new forum, so bear with us.

Often, I find Matt's on top of an issue before we even bring it up to him. I suspect he's already done some tweaking today. My pages are loading in half the time they did earlier today, on same equipment, browser, and speed.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Agreed, Laps. Love the new modern look, and intuitiveness of the new forum mormat. Bringing the old forum to a new home without losing all the legacy posts and photos was a great deal of work for our administrator. I know Matt continues to work on features and efficiency, and he’s a very skilled guy. We’re still in the infancy of the new forum, so bear with us. Often, I find Matt’s on top of an issue before we even bring it up to him. I suspect he’s already done some tweaking today. My pages are loading in half the time they did earlier today, on same equipment, browser, and speed. Sherry

You're right!  I just logged back in and topics and pages are loading almost instanteously.  Good job Matt!

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Yep it should be much faster now. I had noticed in speed testing the site was very fast... But website speed testing is captured while no one is logged into the website. I tested it manually on my end by just logging off and it was so much faster. I finally dug around and found the social login script was  using way too much memory due to a bug in the script. I've disabled it and implemented a few additional caching controls and it is so much faster now. Thank you everyone for sticking it out! I'll continue to tweak it and make it better.

• Thanks 5

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

• Administrators

Most of you have noticed the navigation icons on the right now. I find them especially helpful on a mobile device. I've updated them this morning...

Lock icon = login /logout screen. If you're logged in, there is also a link to your profile here.

F icon = Forums. This is actually a Foursquare icon, but thought it would be the best fit to recognized a quick link to the forums.

Comment icon = view recent topics

Feed icon = view activity wall

People icon = view/search members

Facebook icon = you can share whatever page you are on to facebook

Twitter icon = you can share on twitter

Arrow up = takes you to the top of the page

For now, I probably won't be adding any more since on a mobile it would be too many to fit most screens

• Thanks 1

Matt Duncan

Thanks so much for fixing this so fast. It was driving me nuts..... It is such  a nice website, the delays really needed to be corrected. I am sure everyone using this forum appreciates your efforts.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Administrators
Thanks so much for fixing this so fast. It was driving me nuts….. It is such a nice website, the delays really needed to be corrected. I am sure everyone using this forum appreciates your efforts. John Davies Spokane WA

John... Ha! It was driving me nuts too! Finding time to tackle things sometimes is a task in itself.

• Thanks 1

Matt Duncan

• Moderators

Thanks, Matt. We can count on you. And we appreciate all your help to keep our sandbox fast, clean,and fun.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4