Hitch Height?

angler

Well we took the plunge and ordered an Oliver that we'll pick up in Tennessee mid June. We're ready getting the TV set up. The TV is a 1996 Toyota 4-runner and have added transmission cooler and proportional brake controller. We're set with a class III receiver and getting ready to order hitch and ball. Does any one know the spec for the height of the center of the ball from the ground to fit an Oliver with 4 inch lift and 15 inch wheels?

Any thoughts or suggestions about the need for additional suspension on the TV?

Thanks all.

Angler, When we took delivery of our trailer here in AZ. Jim Oliver told me to tow with a height of 19" to the top of the ball. We also have the 4" lift which has proven itself wonderfully since we boondock almost exclusivly. And congrats! your gonna love your Oliver :mrgreen: Wayne

Oh, and about beefing up the suspension, I'm a big fan of airbag spring helpers again thanks to Jim for his recommendation for my Jeep. Google is your friend for finding anything vehicle specific. Happy shopping, Wayne

When I bought my Casita, I went to the NAPA auto parts store to buy a hitch. They suggested the adjustable hitch because then I could adjust it to whatever size I needed for the TT. This would also come in handy if I were to trade vehicles and end up with one that was taller or shorter than my Chevy Trailblazer. The adjustable hitch and ball were on sale and only a couple of dollars more than the regular ones, so I bought it. Then I took it to the local welder and had the smaller ball welded on for the stabilizer bar and I was set.

I have never had a problem and never been sorry I went with the adjustable version.

Geri

• Moderators

Someone on another forum asked a similar question, here is the photos I took:

Tongue leveled:

>

01-15-08_0917.jpg

>

Hitch height:

>

01-15-08_0918.jpg

Note that the 19 inch mark on the tape measure is beside the bull dog hitch at the height of the top of the ball on the tow vehicle.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Angler, We tow our Oliver with both our car (Volvo XC90 SUV) and our Chevy Silverado half ton pickup. We added Hellwig air bags to our Silverado because we often carry our 800 pound ATV, loading ramp, and extra "stuff" (grilll, hiking gear,tools, gas cans, etc.) in the truck bed along with towing the Oliver. The airbags are adjustable, so when we run empty in the bed, we can let most of the air out, eliminating most of the slightly rougher empty ride. With an SUV, you may not need any extra suspension help. We haven't found it to be necessary with the Volvo SUV. Probably depends on what you put in the cargo area and if you put extra weight on the tongue. (We carry only a little 35 or 40 pound 1000 watt Honda generator in the truck bed to top off the batteries when we boon dock.)

Paul bought the Hellwigs on line, and had our local mechanic install them on the Silverado. Airbags, just under $300.00. Local guy, about 75 or 85 dollars... it's a very simple installation, and doesn't require removing anything standard. Both our vehicles have factory tow packages (hitch, coolers, etc.). Hope this helps.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 9 years later...

Can someone please tell me the hitch height to top of the ball for my prospective 2018 Ollie Standard Elite 18.5? In my search here on the forums I found most answers are for the Elite II. I am guessing 19" remains the preferred ball height for the Standard and perhaps 23.5" for the Elite II? Please advise.

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderators

roguebooks -

I don't know the answer to your question, but, I'm sure that Richie Carroll at OTT does.  You can contact him at - 931-306-9232 or email at - rcarroll@olivertraveltrailers.com

Hope that helps!

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

It says and we were told 23.5 but 22.5 is where I like mine because it's almost level and this way when we stop for the night, I don't need to unhook. It can go either way, 23.5 is a touch up, 22.5 is a touch down. I can drop my jacks and easily level for a quick night sleep when traveling.

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

Reed, is the hitch height for the Elite the same as your Elite II? I can't find the hitch height in the literature for the newer elite 18.5.

Thanks.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The hitch height cannot be the same for both the Elite and Elite II.  The trailers are different, the spring system is different, double axles, length, etc. and that is why I am am asking the question. I am buying an Elite, not an Elite II. I did send an email to Richie Carroll at OTT and have not heard back yet. I will post his response if I get one. Meanwhile...

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

I have the Elite, and with the trailer perfectly level, top of ball to ground is 19.5" (measured from the bulldog hitch)

Not sure of your TV but your rear end will drop a bit from the tongue weight, which I am told is around 350 pounds. What I did was to get a few friends whose combined weight was close to that and stand on a spare ball mount I had for a different trailer (you could stand on the bumper but add a bit more weight to allow for loss of leverage, as the ball will be further out from the rear axle than the bumper). Then I measured to the top of the receiver tube. With this info, you can calculate the rise or drop of the ball mount you will need. Should get you pretty close. If you're getting a WD hitch, then that could possibly change the numbers, but the 19.5" remains the same. Strive to get the trailer as level (parallel to ground) as you can while hitched. TV and trailer should be good and straight with each other. Trailer nose down a tad is better than nose up if you have to err a bit.  This is what I have learned so far. You're going to like your Elite. Tows beautifully and you can tuck it into places that will amaze you. Good luck and hope this helps.

Dave

• Thanks 1

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

Skalywag,

I'm wondering about that 24". Did you measure from your trailer frame to the ground both front and rear to make sure they are equal before measuring your ball height? 24" sounds pretty high to me. Guess I better double check my measurements!

Dave

Skalywag, I’m wondering about that 24″. Did you measure from your trailer frame to the ground both front and rear to make sure they are equal before measuring your ball height? 24″ sounds pretty high to me. Guess I better double check my measurements! Dave

Now I am really getting confused. Both numbers make sense, but how can they be different? Anita (from Oliver TT) answered my email: "MIKE, IT NEEDS TO BE 23.5 INCHES TO 25 INCHES FROM GR9OUD TO TOP OF BALL.  HOPE YOU’RE WELL TODAY."

ANITA

travelmap2023.jpg

Dave, I only measured the hitch ball height attached to my TV (2017 Taco). I use an Anderson Hitch and our LE1 rides level, and I might add, like a dream. The next time I hook her up, I will take some measurements.

Skalywag, I am wondering if the Anderson Hitch requires a higher ball? I will not be using that system. Just straight-hooking the Ollie to the Taco. My guess is what I need will be the way Dave measures his trailer, but again, I am a newbie and don't know anything really. The posts at the beginning of this thread state 19" for the Elite, so Dave's measurement makes sense. But then Anita tells me something different. I bought a heavy-duty dual hitch so I can use my bike rack too, and I want to attach it to my Taco so I can be prepared. Or return the dual hitch to Amazon if it isn't going to work.

travelmap2023.jpg

Those are the same numbers I got from Oliver. They were not correct. My trailer is on a flat and mostly level surface. Equal distance from front and rear of frame to ground. Mine is a 2015 Elite so no major difference in suspension that I know of. Here's the pic:

9k2rg33ltkc65xm9d3futa2jsozvs3qs.jpg.f28d6f8726887e236ee0463ac0b716c9.jpg

All I can figure from what Anita said is that they are allowing for bumper drop with their ball height. This is a useless number as all TV's will have different levels of squat. Hopefully some other Elite owners will chime in to confirm but we are in the minority. Where's Bugeyedriver when we need him!

Dave

• Thanks 2

Those are the same numbers I got from Oliver. They were not correct. My trailer is on a flat and mostly level surface. Equal distance from front and rear of frame to ground. Mine is a 2015 Elite so no major difference in suspension that I know of. Here’s the pic: 9k2rg33ltkc65xm9d3futa2jsozvs3qs.jpg.b728f2eada99b9533a571202079683f5.jpg All I can figure from what Anita said is that they are allowing for bumper drop with their ball height. This is a useless number as all TV’s will have different levels of squat. Hopefully some other Elite owners will chime in to confirm but we are in the minority. Where’s Bugeyedriver when we need him! Dave

Thank you Dave. Unless I learn definitively otherwise between now and tomorrow I plan to set the top of my ball at 20.5" to allow for a one-inch drop on the Tacoma. My new hitch gizmo will work just fine with these measurements. The 23.5" measurement would insure me having to mail the gizmo back to Amazon. Thanks for the pic.

travelmap2023.jpg

I am guessing 19″ remains the preferred ball height for the Standard and perhaps 23.5″ for the Elite II? Please advise.

Top of ball to ground is 22.5" no load on Tundra with empty pickup bed. Have not measured how much rear of Tundra lowers after connecting to Ollie.  No modifications to Tundra's suspension and Ollie's Tongue weight @ 450lbs. Trailer weight 4950lbs with empty water tanks, using 1" lift ball mount, and not using WDH.

IMG_1915-L.jpg

IMG_0922-L.jpg

LE2

Though I do appreciate all the information on the LE2, I cannot imagine the LE1 and LE2 as being the same hitch height. When we toured the factory it was pointed out that the LE2 suspension is very different than the LE1 (and also much better than the LE1) and only available on the LE2. So I am looking for owners of newer LE1's to chime in on hitch height if possible.  I am also hoping Dave is spot-on with his measurement of his LE1 (and his pictures seem to prove it) as I am eager to get to work installing and securing my new hitch.

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderators

The Wonder Egg, Ollie #14, single axle with a spring over axle high lift  is set up as follows:

16" wheels

tire outer diameter 28"

Trailer level to ground, the distance from the ground to the top INSIDE of the Bulldog (Where the ball touches) is 21.5"

Loaded tongue weight 360 lbs

Taco for TV with Roadmaster Suspension Assist springs attached results in about a 3" drop when trailer is attached.

Hitch has a 3" rise, resulting in the top of the ball being at 24.5"

With my spring-over-axle setup, my hitch height might vary from a newer single axle Elite.  Getting 360 lbs worth of friends to hop on the end of your TV is a good idea to see how much you might settle.

Thanks for your pictures, Dave.  Any more recent Elite I owners out there with a tape measure care to chime in?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:  Although my Taco has 233,000 miles on it, the leaf springs are newly replaced due to a Toyota TSB.  I replaced the shocks at the same time.  It has always had a "soft" rear end that liked to sag under weight.  The Roadmaster Suspension Assist springs have greatly enhanced the ride while towing (and not towing) and the sag has been reduced from its original drop.  Whatever your TV, check the anticipated drop under load and buy your hitch accordingly.

• Thanks 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

As promised, here is my email question to Richie at OTT: "I am looking for how far up from level ground on the level Elite (standard) trailer is the top inside of the bulldog hitch where the top of ball would be? I have gotten answers on the forum anywhere from 19" to 23.5".  Attached is a picture of what I believe would be an accurate measurement of 19.5". My TV is a Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 which I understand will drop about one inch with the trailer tongue weight. Therefore I am thinking the top of the ball on my TV should be set at a minimum 20.5"  You agree?"

And Richie responded, " It depends on the type of tow vehicle you have. The tongue weight on the elite is considerably less than the elite II...I do agree, sometimes it’s hard to know for sure until you drop the trailer onto the ball, however at 20.5 you should be good."

Keep in mind this 20.5" top-of-ball height pertains only to the LE1.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

travelmap2023.jpg