Andersen Hitch and Dodge Ram 2500

RobertH

Hello,

So over this last weekend I purchased a 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II.  It came with a Andersen Hitch.  I have never used a Andersen before but I have used the normal ones with the bars instead of the chains and they were extremely easy to hookup and use.  I have watched a few videos on the Andersen hitch but I have a few questions that Im hoping some of you might be able to help with.

1.  Will I have to get down in the dirt and adjust the chain length every time I hookup?

2.  It is extremely loud when I turn left lol like embarrass the crap out of you loud.  I assume this is a issue with setup or something similar?  Does something on these need to be greased?

3. If the answer to number 1 is yes lol does anyone want to buy a Andersen Hitch kit?  :)

Im joking with 3 but you get the point about how loud this was.  I should have recorded a sound clip and linked it.  I have so much to learn about my new Oliver and Im glad the forum is here for the help.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Robert

I can tell you one thing I have already figured out while switching from my toy hauler to my new Oliver.  Im going to need to put more of my gear in my truck.  Instant canopies and cook stoves and my Davy Crockett all have to go into the TV now.

Im thinking a truck bed cover that folds up and is easy to remove but has the ability to lock is in my future.  :)  Its just the wife and I now so the need for the toy hauler is gone as I can toss my dirt bikes into the truck now.

My bad anyway back on topic.

The sound is just like what you get when you turn really sharp with bar style systems.  Its that loud groaning basically.  The difference is with this one just a normal turn does it.  Im guessing it was too tight or similar.  I did notice that the triangle was never even so maybe I have to get it straightened out and then adjust the chain tension.

• Moderators

Robert, the Andersen shouldn't be making any noise.  Like Buzzy, mine is quiet.  After a couple of months and about a dozen hook ups I've never had to get in the dirt or adjust the chains.  Once you get it adjusted right it is pretty easy to use.  Post some pictures and I'm sure one of our more experienced users can help.

Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

The loud noise you hear comes from the red or black cone that seats your ball into the hitch. This comes from water entering the cone which causes the plastic to be scratched. The solution is to call Anderson and they will send you a new cone at no charge. They have a video that shows you how to remove the old cone and install the new one. If you have trouble any place that sells hitches can do it for you for a small price. Anderson says they are aware of the problem and after replacing mine 6 months ago it has worked well.

• Thanks 3

mgbtom

The loud noise you hear comes from the red or black cone that seats your ball into the hitch. This comes from water entering the cone which causes the plastic to be scratched. The solution is to call Anderson and they will send you a new cone at no charge. They have a video that shows you how to remove the old cone and install the new one. If you have trouble any place that sells hitches can do it for you for a small price. Anderson says they are aware of the problem and after replacing mine 6 months ago it has worked well.

Thanks for the information I will contact Andersen

• 4 weeks later...

Robert,

My 2015 Elite ll came with an Anderson hitch and I'm towing with a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW.   I have no intention of hooking up the Anderson hitch because it's not needed with a heavier TV like ours.  My Ollie tows very well with no tricks and my truck settles very little when connected.

But here is the other thing:  The way the Anderson connects to the aluminum frame rails and the idea that that method will carry a large chain tension, seems very optimistic at best.  Two flat pinch plates and a set screw on each side?!    It will give some sway dampening, but not much load leveling.

I say leave it off unless you really see a need it can fill.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Robert, My 2015 Elite ll came with an Anderson hitch and I’m towing with a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW. I have no intention of hooking up the Anderson hitch because it’s not needed with a heavier TV like ours. My Ollie tows very well with no tricks and my truck settles very little when connected. But here is the other thing: The way the Anderson connects to the aluminum frame rails and the idea that that method will carry a large chain tension, seems very optimistic at best. Two flat pinch plates and a set screw on each side?! It will give some sway dampening, but not much load leveling. I say leave it off unless you really see a need it can fill.

Thanks!  Ive been kicking the idea around about just  not hooking it back up.  My Dodge is a 2006 Quad Cab Cummings and it doesnt even notice the Oliver back there so I dont think there really is a need for the hitch.  The person I purchased the Oliver from bought a lot of the options and it might have been one he never really needed as his truck was a newer version of mine.  I think honestly he just doesnt like to tow as he stated he was switching to a Camper on his truck instead of another TT.

My Dodge is a 2006 Quad Cab Cummings and it doesnt even notice the Oliver back there so I dont think there really is a need for the hitch.

This is off topic, I hope nobody minds. I have that same exact truck and wonder if you see any black soot on your Ollie? I have towed trailers before and never noticed any, but none were a glistening, pure white egg. My 5.9 is bone stock, but it still smokes a big puff when you put your foot down after a lot of low speed cruising.... And I get a black stain on the rear fender after many hundreds of highway miles.

Thanks,

John E Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

My Dodge is a 2006 Quad Cab Cummings and it doesnt even notice the Oliver back there so I dont think there really is a need for the hitch.

This is off topic, I hope nobody minds. I have that same exact truck and wonder if you see any black soot on your Ollie? I have towed trailers before and never noticed any, but none were a glistening, pure white egg. My 5.9 is bone stock, but it still smokes a big puff when you put your foot down after a lot of low speed cruising…. And I get a black stain on the rear fender after many hundreds of highway miles. Thanks, John E Davies Spokane WA

John,

I can honestly tell you that I have not noticed any stains or dark coloring.  But lol dont laugh my truck only has 18,500 miles on it.  Yes I bought it brand new in the beginning of 07.  I mainly use it for hauling lumber or going camping not as a daily use rig.  I have been trying to drive it more just because it needs it.

They say if you get black smoke which is the most common from a diesel there typically is a reason behind it other than its a diesel.  Here is a small article on it.. Who knows it could be something as simple as changing the air filter and such.

http://www.dieselsmoke.com.au/

As for rolling off topic I dont mind it at all specially when information is being exchanged.  Have you noticed that the dash collects some dark debree?  Im thinking my in cabin AC filter might be falling apart.  Again this is from neglect of not driving it.  Just like rust under the rig.  See I parked my poor truck outside for the first 7 years of its life.  Now it is garaged as I moved to a house I had built but the damage is already done.  If you never drive it or not much then I recon it can never heat up enough to rid itself of all the moisture.   Anyway have you ever had the AC filter changed?  Also both my truck and my charger have the same recall which is the passenger airbag.  Course my dealer has not been able to get the parts to fix it.

Its recall S43/NHTSA 16V-352 if you have not been given the notice.

This is off topic, I hope nobody minds. I have that same exact truck and wonder if you see any black soot on your Ollie? I have towed trailers before and never noticed any, but none were a glistening, pure white egg. My 5.9 is bone stock, but it still smokes a big puff when you put your foot down after a lot of low speed cruising…. And I get a black stain on the rear fender after many hundreds of highway miles. Thanks, John E Davies Spokane WA

John,

My rig has low low miles for its year as I mainly use it for camping and hauling lumber.  Its not my daily driver and Im not retired.  It has all of 18500 miles on it and I bought it new in 07.  That being said I get no black smoke or anything of that nature but even though it is low miles it gets regular changes of its air filter and such.

Here is a article that might help you out it could be something as simple as a dirty air filter causing your black smoke issue.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/115989/diesel-engine-problems-black-smoke-explained

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my Andersen. Very loud and embarrassing when towing a new trailer - mine is 3 months old. Called Andersen and they told me the problem is water getting into the brake lining between the ball and hitch. They have a new replacement with an updated construction. The replacement is now, according to them, a "graphite impregnated, high-density poly-ethylene (HDPE)" compound. I recently installed this replacement and am once again proud to be towing an ollie.

• Thanks 2

AZCOILINKSKYMOMTNETNUTWYsm.jpg

OTD

Former Owner Of  2016 Legacy Elite II Hull#138

2017 Silverado 2500HD High Country Duramax