COOKSHACK CONFIGURATION by Larry Mountainborn Harmon

mountainborn

• Moderators

We received a couple of PM's asking why two cooktops with four burners in addition to a oven. The quick answer is convenience. Whether we are out on our favorite lake at 900 feet of elevation or up high in the Rocky Mountains at ten thousand plus feet, we will get a early start. The propane light comes on at around 0430 hours and first thing you know Betty has Biscuits in the oven, coffee percolating, gravy bubbling in the pan, sausage frying and eggs on that last burner. By that time I have the campsite all rounded up and after breakfast we are off on another day of adventure. Now, that is a whole lot going on at once ! And I have learned to be busily out of the way while Betty works her magic. As I gen around the campsite at altitude I can hear those propane regulators making a high pitched sound and as each burner shuts down I know that the reduced sound means that breakfast is nearly ready. By the time I am drying my hands at the hand washing station, she will be calling, "it's on the table !"

• Thanks 2

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderator+

Larry has indeed found the key to good food, served up right.  It's Betty.

• Thanks 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Larry, what brand is Betty's oven and cooktop? I've been thinking about asking for one in my "Dear Santa" letter this year. I know Betty loves hers.

I do most of my cooking on the campfire, when possible, but on rainy days, it would sure be nice to cook outside under cover. Some of the rental RVs we've used had ovens, and I have to admit, it's really nice to be able to make a quiche and muffins on a rainy day.

In the top photo, the table top appears to be some type of plastic. Are these well-insulated enough to use on a plastic picnic table?

Thanks.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

It is made by camp chef. I think we got it from Sportsman's Guide although other outfitter's sell it. We used it on a wood picnic table lots of times with no ill effect's. When on the plastic table we put a wood cutting board under it just to be safe.

I notice that Coleman now has a oven/cooktop that looks similar but with better looking controls. We have been discussing giving the Coleman version a try.

One thing about using a extra propane tank is that a Coleman distribution tree mounts firmly on top that has several tank pressure (liquid propane) outlets and a place on top for a propane light.

Here is a link to the Coleman oven video:

http://www.coleman.com/portable-stove-oven-combo/2000009650.html#start=2

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators
  • Moderators

Thanks, Larry. I've looked at the Camp  Chef and  Coleman. Amazon also has a Martin model, a little heavier, a little higher priced, and a little higher temp. However, Amazon is the only place in the US I've seen it for sale. Seems to be primarily sold in Canada.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.