Jump to content

Talk to me about the extendable tongue.


John E Davies
 Share

Recommended Posts

Can anyone elaborate on the extendable tongue feature of the Elite II? Is that still standard and how much adjustment can it give me?

 

I don't yet have one of these, but I am considering whether or not it would be practical to tow an Ollie with a "regular width" (50 inches) Polaris RzR in the back of my Ram 3500 short bed. I would like to be able to park the trailer and go exploring in the mountains with my wife and two dogs, so a pair of small motorcycles (my preference) or e-bikes are out. The dogs would ride in a cage type carrier mounted behind the passenger seats. I would probably back it in to get more of the weight toward the front of the bed.

 

Found on the Internet:

 

RzR-in-short-bed-pickup-001.thumb.jpg.85b4cfd0f3c11f91bc5c2bc92bbcb5e6.jpg

 

The truck has a massive payload so I am unconcerned about the weight, but the lowered tailgate will be a serious issue in terms of towing clearance (especially when backing). Though I could remove it if necessary. I would rather keep it in place.

 

I do not want to use a hitch extension at the receiver, for many reasons. Who is using the extended tongue on their Oliver, and can you please educate me about it? I have one on my little utility trailer and I think it is cool as heck.

 

Thanks.

 

John Davies

 

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

John,

 

I believe all current trailers coming off the line are being created with a tongue that is not adjustable.  Folks were simply not in the habit of changing their tongue length, for the most part, and the new units' tongue is now a massive hunk of extruded aluminum to provide incresed structural strength.  (They are always tweaking the design for improvements). The length of new tongues is set at about the middle extension of the older, adjustable ones.  This will allow folks who desire an accessory basket on the front to have one.

 

Perhaps a new Elite II owner could measure the distance from the center of where the Bulldog hitch would sit on the ball to the electric jack, which would be the first obstacle.  Then you could compare it the the measurement from your hitch ball to the end of the down tailgate.

 

Shoutout to any of you "big guys".  How 'bout a little help!

 

Pete

  • Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.


Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com


ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Since the alimunim frame is made at the Oliver factory, perhaps they would be amenable to making its length to your specifications.  Won't hurt to ask.  They might just say "Yes, how long do you need it to be?"

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.


Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com


ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Both our Oliver's had the receiver for the extendable tongue lengthened by 24 inches at our request so it's not out of the question.

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher and Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie and Lucy (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

 

             801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 years later...

Reviving an ancient thread…. Can anybody post a few good closeup pictures of the original setup? All I could come up with is this blurry screen capture of an old factory tour. This was on an LE2. 

0CE3F8B4-DE2E-4CB6-944D-D42C5D59A4BA.thumb.jpeg.bce13725e66bf40fa1cedb361d96af27.jpeg
 

They were using a smaller square (?) beam for the tongue main member and it appears that the extension is also an aluminum beam. The new frames are much beefier, 5” x 3” x 0.625” wall. The tricky part would be eliminating play and I believe that there was a bolt failure, that could be interesting, depending where the safety cables were located😳

Is there a beam extrusion  available with correct dimensions that would slide snugly into or over the existing big one on my later hull? Would Oliver consider modding my trailer to give an extra 12”, enough for me to install a sideways single bike tray in front of the jack? Any idea of cost? I can submit a ticket, but first I wanted to see exactly how they did it in the Olde Days.

What would be cool is if they would sell the necessary parts as an extension kit for an owner to have installed by a (very) qualified local welder. Otherwise it would be a long round trip for me to go back to TN. It is really hard to source small lengths of reeeeealy big aluminum beams. Buying a ten foot length to obtain a foot or two is not economically viable.

Welding on a fixed extension is probably going to be far simpler, but being able to remove it for storage and theft deterrence would be neat…

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

THE GUY you want to talk to at length about this is ScubaRx (Steve).  I'm sure that he can tell you the good, the bad and the very ugly on this topic.

I'd bet that there is no way at all for you to convince Oliver to do this mod for you and/or have virtually any part in doing it.  But, what do I know?

Good luck!

Bill

  • Like 2

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Mike. I have to say that it looks a more than a little weak compared to the newer frames, especially with 100+ pounds of rack and wiggly bikes levering away at it at freeway speeds.... Here is one of those pics, cropped a little:

IMG-3053.jpg.4dfbb5c65b2a8c97ee1486721e9487be.thumb.jpg.db2e314db942743a026f3bf9d9cb8780.jpg

One reason I would like a fixed low mount is that it doesn't stress parts. neither the bike nor the trailer. Another is so I can drive the bike onto it using a ramp and the walk mode button.

John Davies

Spokane WA

 

  • Like 2

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Took these photos a few years ago after installing an electronic sway device:

Bill:  I am very interested in your hitch extension.  Don't feel a need for the electronic sway device, but would love info on that extension!

Thanks,

GJ

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow, FX-4, 4X4, Rear Locker

ALAZARCACOIDKSKYLAMSNENVNMNCOKORTNTXUTVA

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2022 at 7:24 AM, John E Davies said:

It is really hard to source small lengths of reeeeealy big aluminum beams. Buying a ten foot length to obtain a foot or two is not economically viable.

OH COME ON JD...    Surely you would find additional projects/mods to utilize the remaining 8'...  

My guess is I was probably not the only one with this thought when we read your comments.

Respectfully,

Bryan

  • Like 2

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II (Twins) Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI Gasser | 4dr | 6.5' bed

ALARILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNYNCND

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2022 at 8:24 AM, John E Davies said:

Reviving an ancient thread…. Can anybody post a few good closeup pictures of the original setup? All I could come up with is this blurry screen capture of an old factory tour. This was on an LE2. 

0CE3F8B4-DE2E-4CB6-944D-D42C5D59A4BA.thumb.jpeg.bce13725e66bf40fa1cedb361d96af27.jpeg
 

They were using a smaller square (?) beam for the tongue main member and it appears that the extension is also an aluminum beam. The new frames are much beefier, 5” x 3” x 0.625” wall. The tricky part would be eliminating play and I believe that there was a bolt failure, that could be interesting, depending where the safety cables were located😳

Is there a beam extrusion  available with correct dimensions that would slide snugly into or over the existing big one on my later hull? Would Oliver consider modding my trailer to give an extra 12”, enough for me to install a sideways single bike tray in front of the jack? Any idea of cost? I can submit a ticket, but first I wanted to see exactly how they did it in the Olde Days.

What would be cool is if they would sell the necessary parts as an extension kit for an owner to have installed by a (very) qualified local welder. Otherwise it would be a long round trip for me to go back to TN. It is really hard to source small lengths of reeeeealy big aluminum beams. Buying a ten foot length to obtain a foot or two is not economically viable.

Welding on a fixed extension is probably going to be far simpler, but being able to remove it for storage and theft deterrence would be neat…

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

JD

would an extension off the back of your TV hitch be just as applicable ? They make different lengths.  Tongue and cargo weight may come into play. Eventually you have to say to yourself how much is too much. 🥴

  • Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Landrover said:

JD

would an extension off the back of your TV hitch be just as applicable ? They make different lengths.  Tongue and cargo weight may come into play. Eventually you have to say to yourself how much is too much. 🥴

My Land Cruiser 200 has a short 112" wheelbase and a long rear overhang. I already have a +3" Andersen stinger and can't practically go longer. I wish I could..... thanks for the comment.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2022 at 12:56 PM, Geronimo John said:

Bill:  I am very interested in your hitch extension.  Don't feel a need for the electronic sway device, but would love info on that extension!

Thanks,

GJ

John,

Took a few additional photos and measurements this morning of Oliver's extendable hitch. I do not know what kind of aluminum they used, but I'm sure it has a pedigree. Steve (ScubaRX) probably knows.

There are 3 different sizes of square aluminum tube used, outer sizes shown. Everything is 1/4" wall, the very short sleeve welded on close to the hitch is 4" square outer measurement, slipped on and welded in place over the 3 1/2" outer tube with the 3" inner telescoping square tube.  The bolt through the short 4" tube is 3/4" Grade 8. The 3 1/2" tube welds to a cross member in the main aluminum frame, about 4' behind the LP tanks.

Looks like a major conversion if someone tried to attempt this modification. I can gather additional information, if needed.

Already see the next thing I need to do to Ollie, belly wash!

IMG_6767-L.jpg

IMG_6758-L.jpg

IMG_6759-L.jpg

IMG_6760-L.jpg

IMG_6761-L.jpg

IMG_6762-L.jpg

IMG_6763-L.jpg

IMG_6764-L.jpg

IMG_6780-L.jpg

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Tundra LE2

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. That is awesome craftsmanship. 

I agree with your thoughts on the Pedigree of the AL, and it's availability.  I can only imagine what the counter guy would say by my asking for several pieces of large aluminum tubing all about a foot or less long.  I suspect I would be wearing his boot as I flew through the doors.  

Unlike JD and his Land Cruiser, I think I'll look closer at welding an extension on the 2" receiver to pull back the Anderson.  Suspect it would only require about 3".  On my F-150 SuperCrew that probably would work pretty well.    

I very much appreciate your taking the time and effort to showcase the solution you have on your trailer.

Mahalo,

Geronimo John

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow, FX-4, 4X4, Rear Locker

ALAZARCACOIDKSKYLAMSNENVNMNCOKORTNTXUTVA

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...