What's the Ollie look like without the spare tire cover?

Can someone please post a pic? I have a number of reasons for wanting to see it, but mainly I like the look of an exposed spare. It adds character to an otherwise very bland posterior.

I removed the plastic spare cover of a RAV4 I once had, and I really liked the look. After this pic was taken I added a matching alloy wheel.

I'm just wondering how the Oliver would look buck naked, maybe a little bit "off-roady"?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Cool, thanks. I think it would look very nifty with the spare flipped so you can see the pretty side of the wheel. You could easily move the license plate to the bumper.

How about putting one of these back there...?

Wretched excess

I'm fooling! ... ... But there has to be a better use for the back of the trailer than that silly alloy bike rack holder that Oliver offers as an option.

I have some vague ideas for this area, including a beefy steel skid plate, but that means re-engineering the flip down Ollie bumper.... If I put the hinges on the top, then the bumper could flip up and there would be room for a steel plate underneath the bumper and frame rails. Your pics shows me that there is room for the bumper on top, with the fiberglass cover removed.

Those Rotopax will easily go inside the bumper in place of the big nasty hose (I would get the composting toilet).

Add a big recovery shackle on each side of the frame close to the bumper.....

Lots of fun possibilities here.

Thanks again Buzzy.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The spare tire cover protects the tire from UV.  It is also good for art work,  mounting a rear view camera, and just overall appearance enhancement.

• Thanks 2

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

The spare tire cover protects the tire from UV. It is also good for art work, mounting a rear view camera, and just overall appearance enhancement.

Thank you , I know all that. What is your point? Are you worried about resale value?

UV is a non-issue since it will be stored indoors.

Rear view camera is a non-issue since I would either not use one or I would use a magnetic mount on the wheel bracket.

Art work ....  you are kidding, correct? Is there not enough blank surface area on this trailer for all kinds of graphics that don't involve the tire cover?

Whether or not it enhances the appearance is a personal opinion. I personally think it looks dorky.

Security of the spare is a small worry so a lock will take care of that.

I'm not at all afraid to modify my purchases, and I enjoy the process. Anyway, this is all in my head at the moment, so we can all worry about it when I get a trailer.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

The biggest drawback of the tire cover is that it won't cover a full size spare.  For that reason, we'll probably just buy a fabric cover and store the FG one for some future owner.  But I agree with all the positives.  I guess if requested, Oliver would mount the license plate and light to the side.

In a perfect world, I'd prefer the spare to be somewhere else entirely.  I'd rather have that weight more centrally located, underneath maybe - but of course there's ground clearance to consider as well, so like most everything else there's a balance to be weighed.

Well John, since you know all why post a question?  I assume you own an Oliver so just remove the spare tire cover and be done with it.  Sheesh!

• Thanks 1

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Well John, since you know all why post a question? I assume you own an Oliver so just remove the spare tire cover and be done with it. Sheesh!

But I do not own one. The closest one to me is a two hour drive.

John Davies

Spokane WA