Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I have a 2015 Elite, single axle.  The single axle concerns me in the event of a tire failure (blow-out).  I have not had a tire failure and have made several long haul trips.  My current tow vehicle is a Tundra V8 and my Elite handles extremely well with the Tundra.  I religiously check the tire pressure with my trusty Snap-on professional grade pressure gauge each day and do a visual check each time I stop.  I have a heat sensor infrared gun that I use as well for tires and wheels.   I have been considering purchasing a monitoring system but I do not feel that the monitor will warn me ahead of time for a blow out.   Does anyone use such a system and what is your opinion of its safety usefulness?  If I regularly check my pressure, is this not sufficient ?  Lastly, has anyone had a tire failure on a single axle Elite and what was the outcome?  How did your Ollie handle ?   Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Coy

I've had 3 tire failures on my '08 Elite. The first one occurred at 65 mph and I have no idea if it was a blowout or a gradual deflation. My first indication of trouble was strong vibration. Damage was limited to cosmetic in the wheel well and the wheel rim (the tire was completely shredded, of course).

The next two were after installing a TPMS made by TST (Truck System Technologies). One was caused by a leaking valve stem. The tire dealer didn't have rigid stems that are needed with the monitor and the flexible stem that was on the wheel eventually gave out. The other was merely a puncture in the tire. In both cases I got plenty of warning to avoid running until the tire was completely flat and causing damage. The valve stem failure happened on a busy interstate and rather than having to change the tire there I was able to quickly add some air and drive another mile or so to an exit, all the while reading the pressure displayed in the cab so I didn't run it flat. Note that when I first got on the road in all three cases the tire pressures were just fine. Only the TPMS will help when trouble occurs while rolling.

I tell new RVers that I'd put a TPMS very high on my list of aftermarket upgrades. There is great peace of mind in being able to know exactly what the tire pressure is at all times, especially when it's cold and rainy outside and you just want to get going.

• Thanks 4

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

If I regularly check my pressure, is this not sufficient?

Short answer, no. There will always be a time when your TV throws up a shard of metal and you will never know your trailer is in distress until the tire goes. Regular pressure checks were fine back in the Olde Days when TPMS did not exist, but now they are cheap and reliable, so just do it and don't worry any more.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We do not have one yet, but it's on the list. We did have a tire failure, that I'm sure we could have saved the tire if we had advance warning of the pressure going down. We had picked up a sharp sliver of metal on the road and by the time we were aware of a problem, the tire was totally shot. No, there was no damage to the trailer and the trailer pulled straight with that damaged tire.

Our Durango has a built in TPMS and I keep a close eye on my tire pressure.

Stan

• Thanks 1

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

All

Thank you for your replies.  It appears that I need to put a Tire Pressure Monitoring System on my Christmas List, no road trips in the near future.   I have found a website that compares the leading brands of TPMS.  The one ranked the highest is the cheapest, EEZ Tire Pressure Monitoring system.  Amazon seems to have the best price as well, based upon the number of tires you want to install a monitor.  I will get enough monitors to install on my truck since it has no monitoring system.  It appears that new vehicles are required to have these, but they are "indirect" as opposed to the direct system installed on each tire with an instant display for each tire.

Thank You

coy

Two suggestions for those adding a TPMS:

1. Be sure to use rigid valve stems (the kind that are held in place by a hex nut). The flexible ones will work for a while, but will fail at the most inopportune time/location.

2. Have your wheels balanced with the sensors installed, especially on your tow vehicle.

Do not ask how I know these things.

• Thanks 2

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

Here is the website I found that compares several manufacturers of TPMS Systems.  There are probably other comparisons out there but this site seems to focus on systems for the RV Industry.  Also YouTube has several customers and manufacturers reviews with installation instructions.  Several have some slick features such as turning itself off if no motion is defected (to greatly extend battery life and not having to remove the battery for storage), large screen displays with constant monitoring/reporting, extended warranties and small size so they do not extend beyond the hub of the wheel to be broken off when getting too close to a curb, and locks to prevent theft.

http://www.fiveina5th.com/landing/top-4-tpms-systems-comparison/?gclid=CMe-ndvEpM4CFdgQgQodnTkJWw

Thank you

coy

• Thanks 4

I haven't used one of these Doran systems, but from information online this is the brand I will choose for my new Ollie. It apparently will hold up on rough and off pavement roads where many of the others do not. Note that the batteries are NOT replaceable, by design, so that water and dust entry becomes a non-issue. This is a common failure mode for other types.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Doran-360RV-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-4-Sensor-p/360rv4.htm

http://www.exploroz.com/Members/33714/5/2014/Tyre_Pressure_Monitor___Doran___360__Review_.aspx

If you don't drive much in the rain or off pavement you should have good luck with the other type of sensor.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I've used the same system that JuniorBirdman uses on my single axle Elite.  It's the TST system.  I like the setup feature whichs allows me to set the low PSI warniing level.  My tires are rated load range E and I normaly inflate them to 70psi (cold temp).   My low pressure warning is set at 50psi...low enough to tell me there is something happening and high enough to afford me plenty of time to take care of the issue before a significant problem occurs.  I still carry and use my infrared temperature sensor to check tire, bearing hub, and brake drum temps to keep abreast of their health and well being.

Cheap insurance  ...  Peace of mind ...  Luv it.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Aubrey said:  "I use the 510 system since it was the only one available at the time. About two weeks later, when Pete bought his, TST had introduced the 507 system and I believe that is what Pete got."

AACCKK!!!!   This is Pete, NOT Aubrey . . . I intended to copy and reply to his comment but entered the "Edit " mode instead.  Mybad!!!  My apologies Aubrey, you know, of course, your original comment was brilliant, and on target, as usual.  Oh, well (sigh) as Forest Gump said; "IT" happens.

Yep, I got the new and improved (at that time) 507 that allows me to easily replace the batteries.  Be sure you ask them for some extra tiny rubber o-rings.  You are likely to break the old one as you remove the battery.  I carry a small zip lock bag with a dozen or so for future use.   Also, I prefer to use the suction cup mounted monitor and attached  it to the lower left corner of my windshield, well out of the way, but easy to read.

I always balance my tires with the sensor mounted.  They are very easy to remove with the special tool provided.  I do not use the pass through type sensors.  Instead I remove it with the tool if any pressure addition or deletion is required due to a large swing in temperature or altitude.

An easy way to test the warning system is to turn the system on, check the pressure on the monitor, and use the special tool to take the sensor off the valve stem.  The sensor senses the pressure drop and alerts the monitor of the event which then emits the warning alarm which is easily heard (unless you're a deaf F-15 pilot) from the trailer tire position if your TV window is down.

I only have two sensors which I put on The Wonder Egg and rely on the Tacoma's internal TPMS system for truck tire issues.

• Thanks 2

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

Does anyone have a feeling about the TSP flow thru sensors (available on the 507 only)? Might be convenient, but is it that hard to remove the standard sensor to air up? Great thread, I'll be getting these for sure.

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

Dave

several of the manufacturers push their wares on YouTube.

Some have more features than others.  I have learned that in the past I have bought things with more features/costs than others. The videos may help you decide what you want.  I personally like the features of the ones that go to sleep when not in motion, the unit locks on the valve stem and the unit has a big display.

Below is a great article from RV Life magazine regarding TPMS systems

http://rvlife.com/stop-blowouts-monitoring-rv-tires/

• Thanks 1

AACCKK!!!!   This is Pete, NOT Aubrey . . . I intended to copy and reply to his comment but entered the “Edit ” mode instead.  Mybad!!!  My apologies Aubrey, you know, of course, your original comment was brilliant, and on target, as usual.  Oh, well (sigh) as Forest Gump said; “IT” happens.

Ah, I was wondering when you might reply on this thread. Then I finally noticed that you had merely hijacked my reply! I considered it no big deal and just wrote it off to the fact that they probably didn't let you guys have oxygen in the A-10. But my pearls of wisdom are now lost to humanity, much like the Ancient Library at Alexandria. The world is now a lesser place.

• Thanks 1

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels