Compost toilet

Muppy

Has any Ollie owners gotten the composting toilet instead of the flush to black tank? Are you happy with it ? It looks like it will conserve water, but the learning to "go" differently is a factor also. Thanks.

New Hampshire residents.

2016 Chevy Silverado 1500, Crew Cab, LTZ/short box, 5.3L Ecotec3 V8 w/ tow/haul mode /20 inch wheels

Retirement ( 12-31-2017)  

8/25/2019, we purchased the previously owned “2017 Oliver Elite ll  Hull #170, Standard King Bed, Solar package, Nature’s Head Composting Toilet and all the extras”! 

I've researched these quite a bit. I think at some point RV Parks and State and National Parks will probably have a compost toilet dump area available for RVers with these type of heads. When and if that happens they will be more prevalent and probably more $$.

randy

The Flying Sea Turtle ... Hull # 145 has a Natures Head composting toilet.

There is a lot of information out there on composting toilets for RV's, so I won't go into a lot of detail about CT's in general.  You might want to google "Gone with the Wynns" and "Composting Toilet" for videos that will provide a lot of good information.

So let me give you my thoughts about the CT and the Oliver Trailer. In our case the LE2.

Using - There is a bit of a learning curve in using a CT in the Ollie.  The unit is a bit tall, so you have to be careful getting on and off in the small bathroom.  The main thing you want to ensure is that you COMPLETELY SEPARATE solids and liquids.  See the video and other sources for info on this.

Loading & Dumping - IMHO... easier than dealing with a black tank dump on the road.  For two people on trips less that a few weeks, you wont have to dump and re-charge the solids area.  You can leave that till you get home and then LEAVE IT longer until the next trip.  The longer it composts the less offensive the dumping job is.  In any case, when changing out, I remove the top portion of the toilet and put it in a medium size (the white ones) garbage bag to take it out of the ollie.   I do the same with the bottom portion but use a  contractor bag for that.  This prevents any mess inside the trailer.   Then i turn the bottom portion over and dump the contents into the bag and give it a few whacks to dis jar any loose material.    The liquids bucket is easy to dump and urine is sterile, so you can dump it just about anywhere.  There is some smell when dumping but not when the unit is assembled.

Re-charging -  Very simple.  Put another white garbage bag into a bucket and put the Sphagnum peat moss in and add water until it is the consistency of dirt.  Not too moist or too dry.   Then put it back in the base.  Not a hard job and not offensive.

Oliver Configuration - When we got this option we made sure that Oliver  plumbed the black tank and everything else as if it were the standard RV toilet.  That way if we or anyone else wanted to revert to a black tank set up, it is easy. Good for re-sale when the time comes.  I have read in the other thread that Oliver refuses to not plumb a black tank in and the reason is that it would be near impossible to convert to a standard toilet if it were not there.  I know many people have differing opinions, but for me this is my preference.

As for water conservation....   I would imagine it would conserve more that a standard RV toilet.  Probably more important to those spending a lot of time out west.

Happy to answer any other questions, but please limit to the CT and the Oliver.

Safe Travels,

Scotty

• Thanks 4

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Has any Ollie owners gotten the composting toilet instead of the flush to black tank? Are you happy with it ? It looks like it will conserve water, but the learning to “go” differently is a factor also. Thanks.

I, in fact, am a "hold out" for the composting toilet option but in the sense that I have spoken directly with Oliver about this and I want the black water tank to be converted to a clean water tank, so that there is that much added capacity.  I was told it may take quite some time before the engineers were able to accomplish that and get the proper certification.  My answer was to tell them I can be very patient as they work on it, especially since my present financial situation doesn't allow for freeing up of sufficient funds for the purchase of a new Ollie at this time.

I'm anticipating it will be after the first of the year for them to have a solution.

That said, I see nothing but advantages to a composting toilet for those who truly are dedicated boondockers, dry campers so to speak.

• Thanks 2

I, in fact, am a “hold out” for the composting toilet option but in the sense that I have spoken directly with Oliver about this and I want the black water tank to be converted to a clean water tank, so that there is that much added capacity. I was told it may take quite some time before the engineers were able to accomplish that and get the proper certification.  

Well, that is good news indeed if it comes to fruition. I really don't see any serious engineering issues with getting more fresh water in place of black glop.

This goes to show that Oliver is willing to go the extra mile, even if initial emails meet with disturbing negativity. We can keep hammering away (very politely) and they will hopefully give us the goodies we want. ;)

I might wait a while longer before ordering and see how this develops. Please keep us all updated.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 3 weeks later...

So has there been any more communication regarding the possibility of converting the black tank to a fresh water tank? That is an interesting concept and as a super newbie it seems that an RV without a black tank would be an oddity but I could be wrong.

So has there been any more communication regarding the possibility of converting the black tank to a fresh water tank? That is an interesting concept and as a super newbie it seems that an RV without a black tank would be an oddity but I could be wrong.

I have not heard anything further from them.  It can be done.  I think its one of those issues that if more potential owners are wanting that modification, then they need to make their wishes known to the factory.  I would recommend you contact them directly by phone, they are very responsive to speaking with new, old, and potential customers.

Having just experienced a total failure of the stinky slinky at the trailer sewer fitting with a dump in a campsite I am inclined to go composting toilet.  More capacity, sanitary, earth friendly, less effort, no potential for spills.

• Thanks 1

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Having just experienced a total failure of the stinky slinky at the trailer sewer fitting with a dump in a campsite I am inclined to go composting toilet. More capacity, sanitary, earth friendly, less effort, no potential for spills.

Exactly my feelings as well.  A composting toilet makes so much more sense for boondocking needs, and truthfully, I wouldn't mess, pun intended, with the wet toilet given the viable option of the composting unit.  Its time for potential owners to start requesting the factory for this "option" as a choice that should include elimination of the black water tank.  Put in a clean water tank in its place!

Having just experienced a total failure of the stinky slinky at the trailer sewer fitting with a dump in a campsite I am inclined to go composting toilet. More capacity, sanitary, earth friendly, less effort, no potential for spills.

That sounds like a story we would all like to hear about. : )

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

There is no reason you can't use the new black tank as a fresh water tank. You could fill it from the rinse out and the way the opening is configured (don't ask how I know) you can easily fabricate a cap with a pex tub connection and hose that goes down to the rear corner and then run a pex line to "tee" into the rear draw line and just run the pump to refresh the main from it. Easy-Peasy.

Then when you sell, remove the cap and install a toilet and it's all normal.

The opening is also large enough you can probably patch the opening for the drain line too.

Just keep in mind, you need a ladder to use the Nature's Head, it is a full 7 inches higher than the one that's in there now.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Randy,

Thanks for suggesting the BW tank to FW tank modification.    I was glad to see a new thread start up on the Composting Toilet option so we could discuss the actual toilet and not lobby Oliver Trailers for a dual Fresh Water tank mod.   I realize that some folks are interested in that but we already had one thread that was covering it pretty well.

As for the Toilet Ladder......   Yes, that is definitely something to consider.  It doesn't bother me too much and I have not heard a lot of complaints from the 5'4" better half.   We had a nice visit to Cherry Hill state park in PA to see the meteor showers and I dumped some coffee grounds in the solids tank one morning.  I read that this was a good idea to control odor somewhere on the net, and just put some in for the heck of it.... NOT because it was needed.

For two people the liquids tank gets emptied every other day or so.  Not an unpleasant task.

I can't imagine having to deal with the busted Slinky scenario and quite frankly was not looking forward to having to deal with an un-busted one either.

I am still new to the CT experience, but am happy to answer any questions I can....   and to resist the urge to make up silly answers for those I can't.

Safe Travels,

Scotty...     and Donna.... and the Flying Sea Turtle... and the Blue Whale.

• Thanks 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

Hi Scottygs,

When I order my Ollie I am going to get the CT option but I had a couple of questions.

Did Oliver wire the fan on the Natures Head to the battery such that it is always on?

Where / how  did they vent the CT to the outside of the trailer?

Great information you supplied !

Thank you so much,

Elgie22

Hi Elgie,

The fan is wired to be always on.  I am pretty sure that is a good thing.  Never had a concern with power for the fan.  It's such a small draw and the solar panels keep the batteries topped off when in storage etc.

On the vent issue.  I can only give you half an answer. The vent hose connects to the wall to the left of the sink.  Where it goes from there I am not sure, but I would like to know as well.  My guess would be either A.) to the black tank vent pipe which runs through the closet and up to the roof  OR B.) down underneath the trailer to whatever opening they fabricated.    If you ask Anita or Tommy... please let me (and the group) know what you find.

Our set up is with a black tank installed but not used.  This way if we (or a subsequent owner) decide to switch to a more conventional set up we can.  I specified this when ordering our trailer.  You might want to make sure that is the standard configuration OR explore other options with Oliver.

Please let me know if i can answer any other questions but keep in mind we are still new to the CT and our experience is limited.  So far.. so good though.

Safe Travels,

Scotty

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for letting me know.  That sounds like the toilet vents into the black pipe in the closet, which I believe is also the vent for the black tank.

Hope you order your OT soon and are as happy with it as we are.

Scotty