Installation of Sani-con macerator system

Windwalker

I am getting ready to install a Sani-con macerator permanent system in my 2015 Elite II, does anyone have this factory installed system? I would like to have some photos of a working install, if not ill just figure it out under the shade tree.

Thanks

Marc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

In 2009, I had a Thedford macerater mounted inside my bumper storage area.  It was hardwired to the battery.  Stinky slinky was gone and I was living large, with my poo pump and a 20 foot extendable hose which collapsed to a 7 foot, easily stored system.  A notch in the upper angle bracket of the storage hold was necessary for the larger diameter of the end fitting.  If you drill a hole through the back wall of the storage area to run your wire to the battery be sure you DO NOT DRILL A HOLE INTO YOUR GRAY WTER DRAIN LINE.  (ahem)

Due to the shallowness of the bumper storage area, and the limited vertical distance from the 3" exit line of the trailer, this is not an optimum setup.  It can be easily enhanced by raising the nose of the trailer before using the macerator, to allow for a better flow of "stuff" to the macerator.  Run a small bit of gray water first, in order to "prime the pump", per se, and then close the gray, open the black, and, when it is complete, follow with the remaining gray.

My first pump lived for five years before going off to macerator heaven.  The second one suffered an unforgivable abuse by its owner when a white plastic measuring spoon was flushed down the toilet with soapy dish water. ( I didn't see it, OK?)

After those two fails, I have returned to the ancient practice of gravity feed through a 3" stinky slinky.  It has worked predictably since and I figure if gravity ever fails us, I have bigger problems to worry about.  (Like spinning off the earth into space)

• Thanks 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Pete, thanks for the three posts. I see that you too are having problems posting, sometimes.

Did you bother carrying a spare macerator impeller and seals? How hard is it to swap out broken pieces? And how stinky a job is it?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John,

I managed to get rid of my two other duplicate posts. (Whew)

One of the reasons I own an Oliver is because it makes my camping experience nice and convenient.  I believed a macerator would put me even further down the road towards convenience, and for a while it did just that.  I was as happy as a pig rolling in . . . rolling in. . . . well you know.  When it came time to consider refurbishing my magical poo machine I thought that was simply a bridge too far to cross.  So I cannot really tell you how stinky a job it was since I chose not to go down that path. Perhaps JuniorBirdman can chime in and tell you about that. He probably refurbishes his, but then Eagle pilots are just plane nuts.

Call me a sissy.  I believe in gravity.  It is always there, (until we fly off into space) and I can always refill the black tank and hurl copious amounts of fresh water down it after I have taken care of business.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

When it came time to consider refurbishing my magical poo machine I thought that was simply a bridge too far to cross.  So I cannot really tell you how stinky a job it was since I chose not to go down that path. Perhaps JuniorBirdman can chime in and tell you about that. He probably refurbishes his, but then Eagle pilots are just plane nuts.

I haven't had the need to refurbish mine and it's been operating nicely since 2009. But then, A-10 drivers are a little 'slow' on the uptake (the A-10 was so slow that the engineers took out the clock and replaced it with a calendar) and Pete missed the part about not putting hard objects down the potty. I believe at this point that if I had troubles with the macerator I'd just replace it. Refurbishing it would probably require wearing a full biohazard suit. I do pack along a stinky slinky, still in the box, "just in case".

The only trouble I've had was with the grey water bypass getting clogged with "stuff" when running the pump. I fixed that by installing a small ball valve in the bypass line and I leave it closed (especially when pumping) unless I specifically want to use the bypass.

As much as it pains me to admit it, Pete did a good job of engineering the installation and I merely copied it. Obviously, I have NO pride.

• Thanks 1

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

Thanks for the reply are there any photos of the install out there? I'm not sure witch system you have mine is the perminat install. I have looked at numerous videos on YouTube about the mess when the system plugs up so I am going to install a dump valve close to the macerator that I can close if unit needs to be unhooked due to a clog. How reliable is you system?

Marc