Furrion Faultsmart 30A Electrical Cable Plug

rideandfly

Guessing most or all Ollies have this feature, Furrion Faultsmart 30A cord plug LED indicators?

Purchased our Ollie used and was not aware of it until seeing LEDs on our plug. Been looking on the Ollie factory website and forum, have not found much info on this feature, probably overlooked it.

Our Furrion 30A electrical plug has blue and red LED indicators on it. Did not notice them in the past and when the plug is connected to the electrical outlet box at the campground, can't see the lights because of the box lid covering the lights. Plugged into a standard home outlet today with the RV 30A/110V cord to 110V plug adapter to standard 110V home outlet and plug LED lights did not come on.  I'm not an electrician! :)

Aware of the optional Progressive Industries EMS Surge Protector installed in Ollies.

We've been using a Circuit Analyzer, but the down side it's bulky sandwiched between the 30A cord plug and campground outlet box.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55310-Defender-Circuit-Analyzer/dp/B00JGJH8QU/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1470413651&sr=8-1&keywords=camco+circuit+analyzer

After looking on the Furrion site, the cable & plug that came with our Ollie has Faultsmart LED indicators on our cord. With the Faultsmart feature someone could check for polarity issues before connecting power to the camper.

Furrion Link:

http://furrion.com/product/power-cordsets-rv-camp-power/30-amp-125v-heavy-duty-rv-cordset-wfaultsmart-led-30ft-black-2/

Ollie Furrion cord plug.

2015 LE2

Bill,

when we park at home, I have the same setup as you do. We plug our Furrion cord provided by Oliver into a 30 amp/110V to 15 amp/110V adapter and that plugs into a standard 15 amp/110V home receptacle. When plugged in this way, the blue LED light on my Furrion plug does indeed come on, as should yours. You should check your house plug for irregularities, ie. open ground, cross polarity, etc.. There are simple, inexpensive plug in testers that will do this for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-RT100-Receptacle-Tester/dp/B005GYBFA4/ref=zg_bs_14244461_13

If all is well there, then check your adapter while plugged in to the house receptacle in the same way. If these both check OK, then you may have a faulty Furrion cord- it could be just a bad LED(s). My guess is that it's the Furrion cord as I think if there was an issue with your power source as mentioned above, then the red LED should be lit up. That's my understanding of it at least.

Dave

• Thanks 1

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

Used the RV 30A/110V to 110V plug adapter with the 30A RV Circuit Analyzer. The house circuit/110V adapter check out OK.

Checked voltage coming out of the Furrion 30A cable and it's the same as the outlet it's plugged into, moving/wiggling complete cable while checking voltage. The Furrion 30A RV cable red & blue LEDs are not working.

Thanks Everyone!

Circuit Analyzer using 110V 30A RV adapter plugged into home outlet:

2015 LE2

• 2 years later...

Will not pick up my Oliver until April 2019, so not aware the electrical service cords that will be supplied by Oliver. As I create my purchase list for camping accessories, what electrical adapters should I purchase. For example, I am guessing a 50amp (male) to 30amp (female) adapter (I think it is called a dogleg) for those campgrounds that only provide 50amp service. Seems another adapter is to plug up to my house electricity. I am guessing you seasoned electric-knowledgeable campers have a toolbox with all the electrical adapters an Oliver owner might need - would appreciate any recommendations.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

and, I forgot to ask about the length of the power cord - a friend of mine suggested might need an additional power cord to add to the primary power cord for any parking spots too far from the power supply.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

KWRJRPE,

Congratulations on your new Oliver!

We've camped at campgrounds when the 30' Furrion cable was not long enough.  Carry an additional 25' 30A extension cord for those situations. Found this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extension-PowerGrip-Handles-55191/dp/B000BUU5YU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534074791&sr=8-3&keywords=30a+extension+cord

We've not used a 50A to 30A pigtail/dogbone adapter, but found this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14315-Female-Pigtail-Adapter/dp/B003YDY7YK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534074154&sr=8-2&keywords=50a+to+30a+pigtail

We started using a 25' 15A cord with RV adapter when at home to charge Ollie's batteries.

25' 15A cord:

https://www.amazon.com/2883-Heavy-Duty-Contractor-Extension-Lighted/dp/B000KKLMO8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1534075060&sr=8-9&keywords=15+amp+cord

Found this 15A to 30A adapter to the camper:

https://www.amazon.com/LeisureCords-Trailer-dogbone-connector-Indicator/dp/B074ZP2CCC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1534073961&sr=8-4&keywords=dogbone+adapter+15+amp+male+to+30+amp

Hope this helps!

2015 LE2

Strange, given that the voltage is the same, whether you use an adapter or not, as long as ground, neutral, and "hot" legs are connected correctly, the cord has no way of knowing what kind of connector your using, at any amperage.  It should see 120 volts AC.  I just checked mine, connected to the factory supplied Furrion cord, with an adaptor to a  15 amp rated extension cord (14 awg), and all is well, blue light as normal. (I use this set-up when not running AC, and to far from power source for current cord)

If yours is not blue, or red, I would suspect a faulty cord, but to be sure, you should verify voltage, polarity and grounding on your home power source.

KWRJRPE:  You will invariably find that 25' of power cord is not enough - as such - a simple 30 amp cord, which contains at least 10 awg conductors, from 25' to 50' will suffice in most any situation. You can daisy chain them with the Furrion, but make sure your additional cord has the correct end connectors - in my situation I use the Furrion, and add the additional cord - with straight connectors,  a twist lock will not fit the male connector on the Furrion.  You can use whatever adaptors needed. 30 amp, 50, amp, 15 amp, or any 120 volt, correctly wired shore power receptacle will work - as long as you don't over load the circuit.

Additionally,  - the progressive unit provides useful information if you pay attention. In addition to any fault codes, the unit displays voltage, amperage and hertz. All but the Hz can change as you add additional power draw, additional cord length, underrated cord ampacity (small household type ext. cord)  Voltage will drop as the load goes up, if supply cord is overloaded, or length is excessive, and you can monitor amperages as different loads are added. i.e., AC unit.

As an example - My home static voltage is 124 volts,  60 hertz. Using just the 25' ,  30 amp cord with Ac on, I will see as high as 19 amp draw, voltage drop is negligible. Now as I moved the trailer to a spot 50' away I have to add a longer,  smaller rated cord, a 12 awg heavy duty cord, with an adapter, connected to a different 20 amp household receptacle.  My voltage dropped to 119, amperage was similar. To much voltage loss and  you risk damaging your AC, and perhaps melting a plug end, cord or worse.  I tried a longer - 14 awg cord, and my voltage went to 110 - not sufficient - I went to the heaver duty cord. (Yes, I have way to many electrical cords - from my construction days.)

For this reason, I usually verify voltage, and polarity when connecting to new power sources, and then take a look at the readings on the progressive, once the loads are added. For the most of the time there will not be an issue - but it takes just once - if not protected - as the progressive unit provides.

Sorry if this is TMI. or confusing.

RB

• Thanks 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

If yours is not blue, or red, I would suspect a faulty cord, but to be sure, you should verify voltage, polarity and grounding on your home power source.

RB,

The Furrion blue LED was not operating at home or at any campgrounds at the time. Converted the Furrion cord into a 25' 30A extension cord with Camco plug and receptacle. Purchased new Furrion Faultsmart 30' 30A Electrical Cable during 2016, Blue LED works fine everywhere used, so far. Furrion has a 5 year warranty, don't remember seeing that when I purchased the new cord, probably missed it.

Appreciate the information,

2015 LE2

• 2 years later...

Our leds on our furrion 30 amp cord stopped working within about a year.  They neither work at home, storage facility, or at any campgrounds. Cable works fine.  I suspect the led or circuitry to them are bad. 

The bigger issue s sue in my mind of the furrion cords are the size of the male head. Many campground boxes have cord cutouts on the boxes that are not centered with the female outlet and the large furrion head and head to cable transition is not accommodated so it is difficult to impossible to plug the male end into the box without “box modifications” which may have already been attempted by others (pliers bending back cutouts for cord).  I think the furrion cable may be a bit unique with the threaded female ring end to the trailer port. Haven’t checked out alternatives with a smaller male end that would fit more easily into electrical boxes. 

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg