Add advanced links to the forum please. Also for those that link please read.

RobertH

Hello,

Just a heads up to everyone that places links in your posts.  Right now most people link and it actually takes you away from the site.  Until they enable advanced linking I will show you some basics in order to make a link to a item or another site that will open in a new window/tab so that you dont leave the site and have to hit back and what not.

This example will be a link to google notice how it takes you away from the page.

https://www.google.com

Below is a example of opening in a different window so you never leave the forum. Trust me your readers will appreciate this.

https://www.google.com

If you click the link button and add your link then then click the Text button and place this bit of code in at the end of the url code it opens in a new window.  Look at the below example and the little bit of code you need to add is highlighted in yellow.

x2bny6ggebz0qw7yc4vv3tb1nx6aptmc.jpg.163dfde4151c91dd3ca5ea5b58d32d7d.jpg

Now the bonus is if we can get the folks from Oliver to enable advanced link editing for posts it makes it a lot easier.  At that point you simply click insert link then click the gear icon and paste your link in and select open in new window.

Hope this helps everyone out!

Feel free to reply if you have questions or want to use this topic as a spot to test your hand at it.

• Thanks 7

• Moderator+
...Now the bonus is if we can get the folks from Oliver to enable advanced link editing for posts it makes it a lot easier. At that point you simply click insert link then click the gear icon and paste your link in and select open in new window. Hope this helps everyone out! Feel free to reply if you have questions or want to use this topic as a spot to test your hand at it.

Testing:

Let’s all go to the Airstream Forum in a new window…

I find that the "gear" icon on the Insert/edit link tab, is already there but it only shows up if you submit a post and the edit it!!!! Obviously, as 

says, there is some "Error In The System"

But your method works for now (What's up here, Matt?).  Thanks for the information.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

How do you insert a short name of the link and open a new page, too? Have much to learn about computers. Thanks, Test: My next project, link short name, “Panther Airplane”: https://flywithspa.com/

So your test didnt work but it was because it was missing the target="_blank"  at the end of the url like the example above in yellow.  As for the short name or actual name.   You can link off any word in your post.  All you do is highlight the word click the paperclip looking icon.  Then paste your link into it and hit apply.  Next you have to hit the text button then edit the code in.

I guess option B would be to right click on the link if you want it to open in a new tab.

This is correct a person can right click on what you link if they are on a computer but what if they are on a iPad?  If they are on a iPad we have to instruct them to press and hold the link and then select open in a new tab.  What about Android?  I think you see my point.  Why not just code the link to take care of it so its not a issue?  I know some people dont have a problem with it and Im ok with it myself but I figured if I had a bit of knowledge that I could pass on and people could benefit and learn something new why not share it.

Sorry, I have to make my say here. This is pure BS. Nobody wants to spend the time manually entering html code into their posts. This is not the 20th Century.

I routinely "Open in New Tab" for every single link I run across, even when using my iPad. It is not rocket science... Any iPad user knows this after a few minutes use.

Fix the forum, don't put the burden on those who post often!

BTW, I do appreciate all the effort that the moderators put towards maintaining this site. I still hate how painfully slow it is. It is by far the laziest of any site I visit, anywhere.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Sorry, I have to make my say here. This is pure BS. Nobody wants to spend the time manually entering html code into their posts. This is not the 20th Century. I routinely “Open in New Tab” for every single link I run across, even when using my iPad. It is not rocket science… Any iPad user knows this after a few minutes use. Fix the forum, don’t put the burden on those who post often! BTW, I do appreciate all the effort that the moderators put towards maintaining this site. I still hate how painfully slow it is. It is by far the laziest of any site I visit, anywhere. John Davies Spokane WA

Seriously?  Yes fix the forums to make it easier but to spend 30 seconds to manually toss target="_blank" into the link is BS?  Thanks for your opinion John but calling something BS because you wouldnt waste the time is well BS in itself.  Honestly its rather rude as well.  If you dont like what I posted you really dont have to toss a comment in to drive others away.  This is the general section and Im just giving advice/help.  Sure it might be on something you could care less about but that doesnt mean you have to talk it down.

The fact of the matter is there are many devices people use to view the site.  All of them ran a bit differently.  One tiny bit of code that takes less than 30 seconds to place to make it run the same on all devices isnt BS.  Again if you dont like what I had to say or what I was offering you didnt have to comment.  So at this point in your opinion I must be among the Nobody crowd because I dont mind tossing the code in to make it a bit more user friendly.

Anyway for future reference please remember the forum is a exchange of information.  If you dont like the information being exchanged please keep it to yourself instead of trying to derail the post.

Thank you

So your test didnt work but it was because it was missing the target=”_blank” at the end of the url like the example above in yellow. As for the short name or actual name. You can link off any word in your post. All you do is highlight the word click the paperclip looking icon. Then paste your link into it and hit apply. Next you have to hit the text button then edit the code in.

Robert,

Will try this out and really appreciate the info!

Thanks,

LE2

RobertH,

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I in no way meant to make you angry, but I guess it happened anyway.

It doesn't change my opinion about taking extra time to manually edit html code one bit, especially for a site that is so darned slow in the first place...

John E Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

RobertH, Don’t get your panties in a bunch. I in no way meant to make you angry, but I guess it happened anyway. It doesn’t change my opinion about taking extra time to manually edit html code one bit, especially for a site that is so darned slow in the first place… John E Davies Spokane WA

Just a regularly offensive kinda guy arnt you?  :)  Seriously John do you not read what you type?  Im not angry Im just saying dont roll up into someones post and crap on it.  Thats like rolling into my house and helping yourself to the bacon in my fridge without me knowing you.  It just doesnt go well for anyone involved.  That being said if you notice I have replied to several other posts of yours and if I was actually upset I wouldnt have bothered.

Anyway speed on their forum has improved recently about 85%.  It might actually be on your end. You might grab CCleaner free version and let it take a look at your system.  It will clean out a lot of left over crap that ends up on your system and slows it down after time.

• Moderators

Please guys, stay on topic. Attack the issue, not each other. It is a sure way to get a thread closed, and this is a good topic that concerns us all.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Roberth,thanks for the info. I think many of us will find it helpful.

John, the team, and especially Matt, work hard to make the site accessible and as quick as possible. Fixes can take time, with the proliferation of devices,os,and browsers. Seems like some one os or browser gets short shrift with every forum in which I participate. As you well know, a fix for most can actually slow others. Sorry if that has happened to you. This one moves faster than I can work on my tablet, lol.

Our hope here for all concerned is to provide a congenial free exchange of ideas on our favorite topic here, Oliver travel trailers.

For all of you, if you have an issue, please feel free to pm one of the mods. We thank all of you for great ideas and thoughtful contributions.

Any forum is a work in progress, and in its new form, this one especially. Thanks for all your patience, everyone, as we move forward.

Sherry

• Thanks 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I guess option B would be to right click on the link if you want it to open in a new tab.

This is correct a person can right click on what you link if they are on a computer but what if they are on a iPad? If they are on a iPad we have to instruct them to press and hold the link and then select open in a new tab. What about Android? I think you see my point. Why not just code the link to take care of it so its not a issue? I know some people dont have a problem with it and Im ok with it myself but I figured if I had a bit of knowledge that I could pass on and people could benefit and learn something new why not share it.

I guess what I don't get is why links on this website should behave differently than every other link on the internet.

Like everyone else, if I click on a link, I know what's going to happen.  I think it would be confusing if some people start coding their links and then suddenly some links do one thing and then some another.  You'd end up right clicking on everything anyway because you wouldn't know which links opened in a new tab and which didn't, because you're never going to get everyone to follow along.  And frankly, I personally wouldn't even want links to automatically open in new tabs.

I would agree that it might be useful to have an individual preference setting to open links in a new tab, and that way individuals like you can customize how the site behaves for them.  But I disagree that the site should be changed to allow a poster to force on everyone a behavior that no one expects and not everyone wants; and for the same reasons, nor do I think it's wise to manually add that behavior to a link.

Just my 2¢.

This is correct a person can right click on what you link if they are on a computer but what if they are on a iPad? If they are on a iPad we have to instruct them to press and hold the link and then select open in a new tab. What about Android? I think you see my point. Why not just code the link to take care of it so its not a issue? I know some people dont have a problem with it and Im ok with it myself but I figured if I had a bit of knowledge that I could pass on and people could benefit and learn something new why not share it.

I guess what I don’t get is why links on this website should behave differently than every other link on the internet. Like everyone else, if I click on a link, I know what’s going to happen. I think it would be confusing if some people start coding their links and then suddenly some links do one thing and then some another. You’d end up right clicking on everything anyway because you wouldn’t know which links opened in a new tab and which didn’t, because you’re never going to get everyone to follow along. And frankly, I personally wouldn’t even want links to automatically open in new tabs. I would agree that it might be useful to have an individual preference setting to open links in a new tab, and that way individuals like you can customize how the site behaves for them. But I disagree that the site should be changed to allow a poster to force on everyone a behavior that no one expects and not everyone wants; and for the same reasons, nor do I think it’s wise to manually add that behavior to a link. Just my 2¢.

Thanks for your opinion.  I spend a lot of time on the internet as thats part of what I do for a living.   A lot of sites that are based on information exchange use links opening in another tab/window to allow you to quickly view a item or another bit of info without leaving the current information.  Specially on step by step type items.  Tech savvy people know to right click while others that are of another generation often dont and get lost.  I know because I deal with those folks a lot as well.  Nothing says you have to use the advanced links or not.  Its your preference I can just tell you a lot of my customers appreciate the links opening in a new window.

Another example is most City or Government sites do the same.  The basis behind the opening in a new tab is to avoid having your customer or reader leave your site.  Look at the forums for Fiberglass RV.  They pop up a disclaimer anytime you click a link because its going to take you away from the site.  Its a very common thing to avoid someone leaving the very content they were intending to read.  Yes the right click open in new tab is in fact a option and many know that.

Anyway the subject is clearly split so its not a big deal dont code it in but know that any post or topic I reply in will have the code placed in it if I intend on linking a item because I never want to have the reader leave the page unless they intend to.  If I recommend a item or say how about this item they might just want to take a quick glance at said item and instead of having them leave the site I will do them the favor of making it so it opens in a new tab/window.

If you are a person that right clicks opens links in new tabs every time that is great and this bit of code will not change the way that feature works so by all means continue using it.  The code is mainly for those that dont know of or us the right click.

iPad - Android Tablet - iPhone - Android Phone - Surface Pro - Surface book - Windows Phone - Mac - PC all these devices have similar but also different ways to open in a new tab.  If the user knows how great ... If the users dont know how to use the right click then my example takes care of that.

Again please understand this is for those that care enough to toss the code in.   Its similar to realizing the most common screen size and knowing to avoid posting a picture larger than that size in order to avoid scrolling.  Some people dont care if a person has to scroll to see the full image.  Some of us do care because its what we do.

Anyway in support of the links or not again thats up to you.

• Moderators

Always opening a link in another window would be convenient.  Those on the forum who understand coding may be able to incorporate this into their writings.  For many on the forum, however, getting the coding right all the time may not be possible, or even rise to the level of importance for them that they wish to incorporate it into their posts.  Time for true confessions now . . . . until reading this thread and doing a bit of easy searching on the web, I never knew it was even possible to "right click" on my mouseless Mac.  (call me a troglodyte, it's OK, my kids do already)

Even if we could inform and inspire everyone currently on the forum to add the correct code, over time, new members would  join the forum and the issue would surely raise its head again. As mentioned before, the best fix is to have it incorporated into the forum workings by our IT gurus.

Like all, I notice the time lag that exists on our forum.  I deal with it by seeing teaching moments, allowing me to practice the art of chilling out for a bit.  The lag only lasts about two deep breaths ... a nice calming moment instead of a cause for frustration.  That's just me.

Buzzy, you can't fool us. Your main focus is not on content that pushes knowledge transfer . . . it's on BACON!!!

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Time for true confessions now . . . . until reading this thread and doing a bit of easy searching on the web, I never knew it was even possible to “right click” on my mouseless Mac.

Pete, It is easy to right click on a Mac. Hold down the Control key, and then when you click on the link you will see the Contextual Menu, which includes Open in New Tab or Open in New Window. I do most of my web surfing this way. Another shortcut is Command-Shift (holding down both the Command and Shift buttons) and click with the mouse; the link opens in a new tab and you taken to the new tab. Holding down Command when clicking will open in a new tab, but you remain in the current tab.

Two links from a google search with Right Click On a Mac.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-right-click-on-mac-3610351/

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18768?locale=en_US

I tried adding Robert's target="_blank" at the end of the links, but I am not sure that I did it correctly.

David

• Thanks 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Another thing you can do is go to the trackpad control panel and set it to use a two-finger tap in place of the command-shift.  I actually use an extension for Mac called jitouch that really expands on all the shortcuts you can use on the trackpad.  After an hour of using it, I was hooked - it's become indispensable.  http://www.jitouch.com/trackpad/

• Thanks 1

Hopefully in the near future the folks that run the forum will enable the option when you select the Link button.  When you go to make a link you will be able to select the gear icon and select open in new window.  Once a topic is running it appears you can do that but not until you have posted.

• Administrators

If there is something that any of you think will make the Forum more user friendly, just PM me. I always have a lot of work to do for all the Oliver companies and cannot stay on the Forums much, but if there is any kind of issues I can take time to fix them.

I have installed a script that will automatically open external links in a new tab, so there is no need to do anything.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 4

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

If there is something that any of you think will make the Forum more user friendly, just PM me. I always have a lot of work to do for all the Oliver companies and cannot stay on the Forums much, but if there is any kind of issues I can take time to fix them. I have installed a script that will automatically open external links in a new tab, so there is no need to do anything. Hope this helps.

Thanks Matt you rock.