Security measures to take/Questions?

Muppy

Hey all,

We are aware of the hitch locks and GPS finders, but we're curious about  a couple of other theft deterrents.

Does anyone also use a boot lock?

Also, we read somewhere that almost all trailers/Rv's  manufactured, use the same key/lock numbers. Does the Ollie use a different than normal locks and keys? If not, did you have yours swapped out?

We read about a guy named Casey Friday that had his tiny home stolen off of his property in Texas.  They found in another town, parked in someone's driveway, like they owned it! If you do a simple search on his name, you can read the story. He wishes he had put a boot lock or two on it.

Thanks,

Cheryl  & John

New Hampshire residents.

2016 Chevy Silverado 1500, Crew Cab, LTZ/short box, 5.3L Ecotec3 V8 w/ tow/haul mode /20 inch wheels

Retirement ( 12-31-2017)  

8/25/2019, we purchased the previously owned “2017 Oliver Elite ll  Hull #170, Standard King Bed, Solar package, Nature’s Head Composting Toilet and all the extras”! 

My 2015 Elite has a removable tongue.  On more than one occasion, I have pulled the bolt out and put the tongue in my truck.  Not foolproof, but the thief will need to be inventive to haul it off.

I keep a extra bolt and a packet of nuts in my tool box.  The nuts are 1 time use

ScubaRX (Steve) has a good handle on electronic monitoring devices.

I keep a extra bolt and a packet of nuts in my tool box. The nuts are 1 time use.

What kind of nuts are they? A regular nylock nut can be reused many, many, times. Can you elaborate please?

http://www.raa.ca/magazine_pdf/tech%20articles/Self%20Locking%20Nuts%20and%20Bolts.pdf

I agree that it is a great idea to remove and store the tongue assembly. How long is the Oliver unit, removed?

Do the safety cables come off with the tongue? If not, could somebody just attach the cables and drag your rig off that way? Ouch! It hurts to imagine that scenario....

BTW here is the removable tongue on my little utility trailer ( the chains come off with the tongue)

Another way to reduce the chance of a drive-off theft is to discard the ball coupler and install a unit that is very uncommon, like the Treg Offroad coupler in my pic. I don't worry too much about thieves, unless they are very determined and creative. Maybe he could rig up a temporary attachment using big 1 inch recovery shackles, screwed together, but I like to think that a thief would just swear and drive on to find a better target, one with a ball coupler.....

John E Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John

The nuts used to hold the tongue on, is a one time use as told to me by Oliver engineers.  They too, use the nuts one time only. I purchased the nuts from Fastenall. They too have told me that the nuts are a one time use only.

The chains, not cables, are easily removed much like the tongue. It has been my experience that most, not all thieves are not too bright and do not think too far ahead. I put my removed parts in my truck and am not gone too long, a few hours at most.  Never had anything to go missing

coy

Coy, how long is the tongue, removed?

John E Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+
Coy, how long is the tongue, removed? John E Davies Spokane WA

John, the tongue is between 4 and 5 feet long.  However, the adjustable tongue has been deleted from the new models so, unless buying used, that security option would no longer be available.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg